Travelling to Tibet

Status
Not open for further replies.
what are you buying there ?

is this you first time trip ? any advise ?

Where is your temple?
This is my 2nd trip to Tibet, and I have been to the Tibetan areas in other parts of China. So, I don't think I will buy anything this time. But you may want to buy 臧红花,冬虫草,人参果 and fungus(mushroom) for boiling soup. You may also buy some accessories like bangles, choker as gifts (some are unisex) which are very cheap. If you like clothing, you can get some nice T-shirts and sporty jackets in Lhasa. It depends on where you go actually.

I also think you can consider bringing a PnS, less hassle. Tibet anyhow take also nice;p I brought 2 bodies, 2 lenses the last round, very the heavy..... This round I will bring 1 body,1 lens (18-200mm), 1 Pns and tripod.

Where is your temple?
This is my 2nd trip to Tibet, and I have been to the Tibetan areas in other parts of China. So, I don't think I will buy anything this time. But you may want to buy 臧红花,冬虫草,人参果 and fungus(mushroom) for boiling soup. You may also buy some accessories like bangles, choker as gifts (some are unisex) which are very cheap. If you like clothing, you can get some nice T-shirts and sporty jackets in Lhasa. It depends on where you go actually.

I also think you can consider bringing a PnS, less hassle. Tibet anyhow take also nice;p I brought 2 bodies, 2 lenses the last round, very the heavy..... This round I will bring 1 body,1 lens (18-200mm), 1 Pns and tripod.

sorry.. wat i mean is Wat will you bring there ? hiking shoe ? sleeping bag ? mustin for cooking ?

This is my 1st trip there so excited. We will go to Chengdu first, den take domestic flight to Xining, then take train up to Lhasa. Then take 4WD drive up to our old temple (exact location duno yet).

I will take PnS since so many forummer say so, I know I'm lose touch in camera for donkey years. Is tripod really needed even for PnS ?

sorry.. wat i mean is Wat will you bring there ? hiking shoe ? sleeping bag ? mustin for cooking ?

This is my 1st trip there so excited. We will go to Chengdu first, den take domestic flight to Xining, then take train up to Lhasa. Then take 4WD drive up to our old temple (exact location duno yet).

I will take PnS since so many forummer say so, I know I'm lose touch in camera for donkey years. Is tripod really needed even for PnS ?

I won't be bringing all those things you mentioned because I stay in quality hotels. It really depends on the quality of the lodging of your old temple and what they provide you, since you are only going there for religious purpose, not really on a photography or hiking trip. Why don't you check with your organiser? I think tripod may not essential for you.

off topic already ..

come back to camera. There are ppl who say PC SHow promo is not as good as Alan Photo's promo.. is that true ?

there are so many PnS camera available .. but how many can have 3-4 shots per sec ? .. how many have wide angle lense... quite a few only right ?

Bought G10. Thanks guys.

Last edited:
I'm trying to decide what kind of lens I should bring to Tibet. Currently, I have a 10-22, 18-55 and 55-250. For this upcoming trip, do you think I should bring along 10-22 and 55-250 or 18-55 and 55-250? Alternatively, should I sell my 18-55 and 55-250, and get a 18-200 instead?

bring all you can..
tibet is a very nice place... take all the nice pictures there..

I'm trying to decide what kind of lens I should bring to Tibet. Currently, I have a 10-22, 18-55 and 55-250. For this upcoming trip, do you think I should bring along 10-22 and 55-250 or 18-55 and 55-250? Alternatively, should I sell my 18-55 and 55-250, and get a 18-200 instead?

Besides the slight convenience of not having to change lenses, I can't see why you would need to sell the 18-55 and 55-200 to get the 18-200. If it is really that much of a hassle, then rather get a prosumer camera then.

Your entry seems to suggest that you do not own a camera and as such assumed that you may not have much experience in photography. If this assumption is right, then I strongly recommend a P & S which will save you lots of disappointment. However, if you are familiar with DSLR then I would recommend zoom lenses that offers a good wide angle say from 16 or 24 mm for shots inside temples and to medium telephoto reach of 135 to 150mm. Most important is that the lenses must be fast because lightings in temples are usually rather dim. Hopefully your camera is also very quiet because most monks frown on people taking picture inside especially with flash. Scenery in Tibet is beautiful and a good wide angle lens will help you capture the space.

Most importantly, it is advisable that you drink lots of water upon your arrival and spend one or 2 days acclimatizing to the altitude, take it easy and walk slowly.

I have spent 2 and a half years living and working in Tibet and have been overland to Kathmandu and spent a night at the Everest base camp. So good luck and have fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.