Travelling to Penang with kids

BasicBabe

May 24, 2011
Hi all,

Going to Penang with two kids next week. Just bought my first micro 4/3 to play with but as those of you would know it will be a hit or miss for the photography part with the kids around.

Any hints on best kids friendly places that are also interesting enough to photograph? My interests are architecture and street. But I am relatively a newbie with street...just too shy.

Gear: Oly EP3 with 14-42 and 40-150

Not exactly in Penang but If u are driving,u will definitely pass by, check out "Lost world of Tambun" in Ipoh, I am going there during National day next mth + Cameron Highland :)

Thanks Big Kahuna, unfornately flying this time round. Have taken note of Lost world of Tambun...will put on itinery if I survive this trip!

from top of my head
1. kek lok si temple
2. go up penang hill on the tram
3. kongsi houses
4. (legal) street graffiti by some angmo

Adding to the list of must go in Penang,
1. Botanical Gardens
2. Snake temple
3. Kek lok see temple
4. sleeping Buddha
5. Gurney Drive
6. Butterfly farm
7. National Park (previously known as Hutan Rimba)
8. Penang hill ( experience the tram. Similar to HK ones, but journey is much longer. The new one seems faster and need not change tram at half way point. But I hve not taken the new one yet)
9. Balik Pulau durian farm - for durian feasting. If you love durian. Now is the season.
10. Air Itam dam - very scenic spot for photography.
11. Experience the ferry ride from Penang island to butterworth, and back.

Depends on which hotel you stay, can also go to end of the world (telok bahang), near national park and butterfly farm, for seafood dinner.

Food wise... Must try hawker food,
1. Char koay teow
2. Laksa (Assam type if u like it)
3. Hokkien prawn noodle (soup)
4. wanton noodle ( many people never try, thinking its the same, but it's not the same ad Singapore)
5. Chee Cheong fun (diff from Singapore as well)
6. Hokkien char
7. Har hor fun ( must tell them with egg)
8. New world's ice kacang. Famous.
9. Char Mee sua
10. Lor bak ( similar to our NGO hiang)

Restaurant -
1. 5 star restaurant for local rice and dishes.
Actually many more.... Pm me if you really want to know.

Since you are going Penang, should buy your camera there. It's much cheaper in Penang than in Singapore.

1. Botanical Gardens
2. Snake temple
3. Kek lok see temple
4. sleeping Buddha
5. Gurney Drive
6. Butterfly farm
7. National Park (previously known as Hutan Rimba)
8. Penang hill ( experience the tram. Similar to HK ones, but journey is much longer. The new one seems faster and need not change tram at half way point. But I hve not taken the new one yet)
9. Balik Pulau durian farm - for durian feasting. If you love durian. Now is the season.

Depends on which hotel you stay, can also go to end of the world (telok bahang), near national park and butterfly farm, for seafood dinner.

1. Char koay teow
4. wanton noodle ( many people never try, thinking its the same, but it's not the same ad Singapore)
5. Chee Cheong fun (diff from Singapore as well)
6. Hokkien char
7. Har hor fun ( must tell them with egg)
8. New world's ice kacang. Famous.
9. Char Mee sua
10. Lor bak ( similar to our NGO hiang)

Restaurant -
1. 5 star restaurant for local rice and dishes.
Actually many more.... Pm me if you really want to know.

Since you are going Penang, should buy your camera there. It's much cheaper in Penang than in Singapore.

hmm snake temple was quite boring for me. ditto for botanical gardens, though they recently had a big revamp.
gurney drive a bit too touristy.
on food, you missed out nasi kandar - the famous 1 being kayu/line clear/pelita etc. but not cheap.
penang nonya food is different from sg nyonya food. but i think penang food is overrated.

cks2k2 said:
hmm snake temple was quite boring for me. ditto for botanical gardens, though they recently had a big revamp.
gurney drive a bit too touristy.
on food, you missed out nasi kandar - the famous 1 being kayu/line clear/pelita etc. but not cheap.
penang nonya food is different from sg nyonya food. but i think penang food is overrated.

Well, the HKs thinks singapore food is overrated. We think any food outside singapore is overrated. Actually, everyone's taste buds are different. So, take everything with a pinch of salt and you will not be sorely disappointed.

Thank you thank you so much for the advice. If one location doesn't work out I definitely have loads more to try out.

Yes I did see some posts that cameras are generally cheaper in Penang...and especially now with the ringgit at an all time low against the Singaporean dollar. Shame I just bought everything that I need...for now :(

I just came back from Penang in June. Penang hill is a huge disappointment. The "new" tram is fast and clean, but it's too expensive IMO. I went in the day and the scenery was just ok, no big deal. I think Mount Faber is much better. As for the so-called cool weather, it was probably around 26 degC when we were there. There is a bat cave temple (tau pek kong) just before the tram station which was an eye-opener for my kids.

Butterfly farm was surprisingly good and the guided tour is a must. We learned a lot during that tour and the kids even got to release butterflies which just emerged from their chrysalis, i.e. the first flight of their lives.

Sorry if i'm kind of late for any useful advice.

Went to Penang somewhere in March, Penang Hill, Fort Cornwallis and the area just outside Fort Cornwallis (there is a ship-shaped playground there) are good places for kids to run about and for you to capture some nice shots.

Here are some shots and writeup of Fort Cornwallis http://daddy.derynquek.com/2012/03/10/penang-a-short-getaway-part-4/

Ok so below is what transpired....with kids in tow:
- Pulau Tikus...make it to the wet market. Plenty of photo ops and you can park the kids with the hubby at one spot and let them savour the local flavours
- Penang Hill...agree with Uncle Meng. While the new tram is fast and makes travel with kids easier I didn't really have any wish to photograph it. Also trying to maneuver the buggy to the tram was a exercise worth of any army drill
- Trishaw ride…around Georgetown. Kids were entertained…just remember to bring fast lens.
- Kek Lok Si…plenty of places for the kids to roam (under hubby supervision) while you go around with your camera
- Botanic Gardens…monkeys…enough said

Unfortunately that was all I could muster in the short time. Also every trip was punctuated with rest stops for nap, meals…etc

Hoping to get back there again soon.

Ok so below is what transpired....with kids in tow:
- Pulau Tikus...make it to the wet market. Plenty of photo ops and you can park the kids with the hubby at one spot and let them savour the local flavours
- Penang Hill...agree with Uncle Meng. While the new tram is fast and makes travel with kids easier I didn't really have any wish to photograph it. Also trying to maneuver the buggy to the tram was a exercise worth of any army drill
- Trishaw ride…around Georgetown. Kids were entertained…just remember to bring fast lens.
- Kek Lok Si…plenty of places for the kids to roam (under hubby supervision) while you go around with your camera
- Botanic Gardens…monkeys…enough said

Unfortunately that was all I could muster in the short time. Also every trip was punctuated with rest stops for nap, meals…etc

Hoping to get back there again soon.

How old are you kids? Sounds like they are toddlers.

While at Kek Lok Si temple, you could take a drive up to the Air Itam dam ... wonderful view from there.
Botanic Gardens ... while is monkeys and monkeys ... there are 2 places with nice view, 1. The lily pond, and 2. Moon gate (for hikers to hike up to Penang hill from there).

Some places to visit for photography will be Straits Quay, The Ship at Batu Ferringhi, Malihom private estate in Balik Pulau, and Pondok Upeh durian farm in Balik Pulau.

I was late; anyway just to add some suggestion for other CSer if going there...
If flying in, can opt to rent a car for first day; then try to see if can manage, then decide to continue wan to drive or not.

The 'in' thing there now is the heritage side, walk around give many great photo opportunities, though not so kids friendly (could be tiring)

milez given a quite comprehensive list, I would like to make some small suggestions base on the list as follow

1. Botanical Gardens - nice view, but a lot monkey

3. Kek lok see temple - a bit too touristy IMO, but good for first timer, and kids friendly
4. sleeping Buddha - nice, but need to find the way to go, in the town area
5. Gurney Drive - food is comprehensive but expensive for Penang's standard, a bit like Newton food centre.
6. Butterfly farm -

8. Penang hill ( experience the tram. Similar to HK ones, but journey is much longer. The new one seems faster and need not change tram at half way point. But I hve not taken the new one yet) - nice tram, go up the hill in the late afternoon to enjoy the magic hour - bring long zoom (>200 on crop camera) to shoot the Georgetown. There is a cafe up there (not sure the name) just open lately got English tea if not wrong

1. Char koay teow - I personally don't like the lorong selamat one; too ex.
4. wanton noodle ( many people never try, thinking its the same, but it's not the same ad Singapore) - try the one beside the Chulia street at evening, selling very fast.