Travelling to Osaka this July, need some informations :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ray_stinger

Hi all, I will be on a trip to Osaka this July from the 10th to 20th. I need to obtain some informations regarding the living expenses there and also the photographic opportunities.

Basically, I am working with a rather tight budget and Im wondering how much will it cost to have a average meal there such as a bowl of noodles? I was told it cost around average $10, so that works out to be approx $30 per day if I have 3 meals a day? All I need to worry about is the food and inter-osaka transport expenses because my air tix and hotel accomodations are fully sponsored already. So perhaps you guys who have been there can give me a rough estimation on how much I should bring there? Any places there that are highly recommended to visit and should not be missed out? Are the camera and electronics equipments there cheaper than in SG? If they are, may I know where can I locate those shops? I will be staying near the Osaka Bay area and will be spending alot of time around the Intex Osaka, so im wondering if there are any places nearby worthy of a visit?

I really appreciate if you guys can help out with my queries. Thanks in advance!

there is a osaka office in raffles place, they were able to provide me with lots of information last time. give me many catalogues beforehand

Gimme a heads up when you come over. They sell 1 day tickets for unlimted usage for travelling around the area. Eg. 1 day ticket for Kyoto or Nara, unlimited trips on the buses and subways. You can live on say 15 dollars a day or less for food. Depending on how well you want to eat. Transport can get prepaid tickets for the different lines, more convenient. its like 3-4 dollars a trip.

Camera shops are plenty. Can visit Yodobashi Camera or Biccamera to try out the whole selection. Naniwa has a 2nd hand store at Shinsaibashi. Denki town has got 2 stores that sell below the japanese retail price.

Bring Cir Polarizer and maybe a graduated filter, coz you are coming in the hottest and prob the brightest months. Prob feels like Singapore weather when you get here.

Well, from Intex Osaka, you can take the Dark green line on the maps (can't remember the name liao) to Umeda (梅田) Interchange where you can take the train to Kobe (1 hour). Or you can walk over to the JR Osaka station to take the intercity trains to Nara (1 hour) or Kyoto (1.5 hours).

Umeda itself is a shopping district, you can find cheap food around the train station where they usually have some food alley or something. There's a huge Yodobashi just next to the Hankyu subway station and the Canon tower is just nearby too as well as a Toyota(Or Nissan) showroom nearby.

Attractions in Osaka are Osaka Castle, Tempozan area with Kaiyukan (aquarium), Universal Studios. Shopping districts are Umeda, Shinsaibashi, Nipponbashi, Namba.

If you are into arts and culture, can see whether they have any bunraku puppet shows at Dontonburi district or you can try going to Takarazuka and see the all-women theatre.

If u're looking for trips to Japan... look no further than this link.

Courtesy and compiled by *ahem* yours truly. ;)

ha.. heading to robocup 2005??

Osaka, yup ....may be can go to KOBE, NARA, KYOTO, NANKING-MACHI, they are 1-2 hours travel by train. Osaka is relatively cheap compare to Tokyo..., at that time when I stay there, managed to get ramen at Y250 (S$3.8), this is considered cheap liao hehehe

Go NARA don't forget to visit the largest temple there, it is a shrine place, inside get one 'hole' pillar, try to pass the hole, and will change your luck, sure .......happen to me ;)

Happy trip to Japan ....

Woah... No joke. So powerful?

I think I muz give it a try liaoz. :D

No matter where you go, bring your passport along. Some places like Yodobashi Umeda will give discount for foreigners. Usually for Yodobashi, there will be four prices on display. One is 'recommended retail price', one is their 'store price/discount', one is 'card member's price' and the last is 'foreigner's price'. If you don't know the Japanese language, just go to the main service counter and ask for a sales person who can speak English. Usually, the person you ask will have a panic look and rush to find that English-speaking staff! :bsmilie:

Service is always good there. :thumbsup: Price.. hmmm. depends on what item.

If you like shopping, dun miss out the extremely long shopping streets at
Shinsaibashi and want to buy cheap stuff, go to the colorful shop (forgot
the shop name) beside the "vertical" ferris wheel, along the canal at
dotombori area.

Cheap makan can go to Minami, south of the city centre and adjacent
to Ebisubashi and Shinsaibashi shoppings streets, this food paradise has
two rows of eateries packed wall-to-wall with Japanese nosh of every
imaginable kind and price. MUST TRY : TAKOYAKI !!

Hi

just came back from a business trip to Kobe. Not much time to look around for photographic oppertunities, but for your questions on cost everything is roughly 2x more expensive as in Singapore. A half hour train trip did cost me 390Yen (60Y = 1S$), but the next station (2 minutes ride) was 200Yen! If you want to eat more than a bowle of noodles, calculate much more than 30 bucks a day. And forget about taking a taxi, they cost a fortune.

Check out this site you might find it useful http://www.japan-guide.com/

Whao thanks for the loads of informations :) Really appreciates it.

TMC: How can I reach you when Im in Osaka? :D

Zeith: Yes, im attending RoboCup 2005. :) Are you participating as well?

I was told that the prices for cameras and lenses there are relatively expensive as compared to sg's, is it true? How about PSP? Im thinking of getting PSP there as was told it is only S$200+? Anyone wanna me to bring in anything from Osaka can also PM me. Will try to do it if possible. :)

Anyway, I will be staying in Suminoe Hotel. :)

Can always gimme a call when you are here. Will pm you my number when you come over. Just remind me.

They are slightly on the cheaper side depending on what you want to get.

Status
Not open for further replies.