Travelling to North America

Status
Not open for further replies.

bademiya21

Dec 28, 2010
Singapore
www.instagram.com
Hi.

Newbie here. I'll be leaving for Canada in a few days. I am planning to take my 550D with me. When I checked the battery charger, I found that the charging unit is of dual voltage (can accept both 110V and 240V). However, when i checked the plug, its ratings are 250V 2.5A.

My question is - if I were to use the plug and an adaptor to fit the plug into an electrical outlet in Canada, would it cause any problems? I know the charging unit will be fine. I am more concerned about the plug...

Hopefully someone who has travelled in that region before can give some pointers about this..

Thanks! :)

Hi.

Newbie here. I'll be leaving for Canada in a few days. I am planning to take my 550D with me. When I checked the battery charger, I found that the charging unit is of dual voltage (can accept both 110V and 240V). However, when i checked the plug, its ratings are 250V 2.5A.

My question is - if I were to use the plug and an adaptor to fit the plug into an electrical outlet in Canada, would it cause any problems? I know the charging unit will be fine. I am more concerned about the plug...

Hopefully someone who has travelled in that region before can give some pointers about this..

Thanks! :)

The plug?
You mean this?
electrical-plug-with-cord-715.jpg

taken from http://best-b2b.com/userimg/545/566-2/electrical-plug-with-cord-715.jpg

That 250V 2.5A is probably meant as a safety indication, to say that the plug itself is not designed to carry a current of more than 2.5A on a 250V circuit. Since the electrical supply is 110V in Canada, and I presume your charger wouldn't draw more than 2.5A, the plug should be safe. I mean, it won't melt or anything.

Yep. That's the plug type!

Thanks. I bought a step-up transformer just in case (of course, not for my charger! but for my other electronic stuffs) but its very bulky and heavy. Was thinking of leaving it behind if I don't have any special need for it and if i can afford not to take the other appliances.

Last edited:
Yep. That's the plug type!

Thanks. I bought a step-down transformer just in case (of course, not for my charger! but for my other electronic stuffs) but its very bulky and heavy. Was thinking of leaving it behind if I don't have any special need for it and if i can afford not to take the other appliances.

as long as your electrical adapter has a voltage range (eg. 100-240V~), then you should be fine.
Most laptop power supplies and camera battery chargers should be of the multi-voltage variety.

However, when i checked the plug, its ratings are 250V 2.5A.
These values are maximum values for the plug, your charger will only draw a tiny fraction of the 2.5A finally. Nothing to worry at all. Check your devices carefully, most chargers and other simple devices are designed to work in both power systems.

Get a universal travel adaptor. It comes with different set of pins for the wall socket for different countries

Thanks. I bought a step-down transformer just in case

That's seriously excessive. I can just shake my head....

Unless you have stuff that you die die die must bring and it only runs on 220V, seriously, just leave it at home. Hide it.

That's seriously excessive. I can just shake my head....

Unless you have stuff that you die die die must bring and it only runs on 220V, seriously, just leave it at home. Hide it.

^^ what he said.

I doubt you'll need a step-down transformer (step-up in this case).
Most power adapters for commonly used mobile appliances (laptop, mobile, camera, iPod, ebook reader, iPad, etc) accept 100-250 V. I doubt it should be a problem.
What exactly are you taking that requires a transformer?

^^ what he said.

I doubt you'll need a step-down transformer (step-up in this case).
Most power adapters for commonly used mobile appliances (laptop, mobile, camera, iPod, ebook reader, iPad, etc) accept 100-250 V. I doubt it should be a problem.
What exactly are you taking that requires a transformer?

An electric kettle actually.. Not for me but for my parent who is travelling with me. Anyway, thanks for all your advice! :)

bademiya21 said:
An electric kettle actually.. Not for me but for my parent who is travelling with me. Anyway, thanks for all your advice! :)

Just go there buy one from a hypermart :)
Save the hassle :)

Even budget hotels have this in the rooms, together with instant coffee and tea bags.

Status
Not open for further replies.