Travelling to Ho Chi Minh - any tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi bros! I shld be travelling to Ho Chi Minh wif my family for a 3D2N trip. Anyone here been there done that? What shld i lookout for? Any hotel/food/sights/shopping recommendations arnd Ho Chi Minh itself? Will appreciate if bros here can give me some heads-up on the city itself!

Just watch out for bag snatchers and the like. My friend was mugged in HCMC last year. Wouldn't be on my list of places to go with a family. Hanoi on the other hand, would be.

i spent 3 days 3 nights at HCMC before moving on to other parts of vietnam this june
here is my itinerary there

Day 1:
Singapore-HCMC via Tiger
Yellow House Hotel, 31 Bui Vien Street - D.1
Kim’s café for lunch
Reunification Palace
Cathedral Notre-Dame
Central Post Office
BenThanh Market
Pho24 for dinner

Day 2:
Cu Chi tunnels
War Remnants Museum
Cholon
BenThanh Market (shopping and seafood)

Day 3:
Mekong Delta Tour
BenThanh Market (shopping + seafood again)

Just watch out for bag snatchers and the like. My friend was mugged in HCMC last year. Wouldn't be on my list of places to go with a family. Hanoi on the other hand, would be.
Hanoi is definitely a better place to see things and people
on the other hand, poverty, poorly litted streets and lack of patrols doesn't make Hanoi any much safer
hanoi locals are more hostile towards travellers too

I recommend Hanoi too. But in terms of "hostility"....they were really friendly to me...:dunno:

I recommend Hanoi too. But in terms of "hostility"....they were really friendly to me...:dunno:

well, i've got mixed reviews as to Ho Chi Minh vs Hanoi. Quite a lot of my friends and family say Ho Chi Minh is better for shopping etc compared to hanoi... anw just booked air ticket and hotel so =D.

maybe not hostile ba :bsmilie:
more practical?
when you are buying from them they are extremely frenly
when u are not like just asking for direction
u cna see the face change :sweat:

HCM is pretty boring if u ask me honestly.
very very dangerous @ night.
modernisation & tourism is destroying all the culture. but at least old quarters is interesting. a very old & china like feeling of vietnam.

Just came back from HCMC.

The people there are very warm and friendly.

I'd love to go back there again...

remember take taxi..request for meter fare....if u blur blur the drivers will pwn u at the airport!!!

airport taxi can confirm over the taxi counter
anyway the meter jumps very fast

lol my hotel offer pick up service... so is =D =D =D... not expensive also...

hotel should be no problem ba

i heard some hostel although they offer pick up service,
it doesn't means its free
they just ask a taxi driver to hold up your name tag at the airport
u go up the cab and u have to pay
faintz

airport taxi can confirm over the taxi counter
anyway the meter jumps very fast

in comparison to taxi fare in singapore, the taxi trips taken in HCM is cheap la. last time went there some joker wan to chop us carrot head by charging USD50 to go hotel, but lucky got a local fren haha..

Status
Not open for further replies.