Travelling oversea with camera equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramius75

Nov 21, 2005
Hi all,

I know i wouldnt trust the Airport handler to handle my camera bag, but what about expensive tripod ??? do u guys check in with the tripod or carry it with you onto the plane. Will there be any security problem ??

Ramius

Hi all,

I know i wouldnt trust the Airport handler to handle my camera bag, but what about expensive tripod ??? do u guys check in with the tripod or carry it with you onto the plane. Will there be any security problem ??

Ramius

I carried everything when i board the plane. Presently in europe.

Try to carry the tripod with me, but during the last trip from Japan, not able to pass the airport security(too long), as a result need to check in the tripod. But I take out the head before checking in.

Putting tripod in the overhead compartment wouldn't be a problem if it's not too long. I always hand carry my equipment, can't trust the handlers.

i juz checked in my long tripod (abt 50cm)
specifically stated it as a tripod when checking in
and *opps* i left the head on

turned out fine, no problem
currently in europe too

I guess really depends on what luggage you are using. If using samsonite hard case (those big ones), you can safely put the tripod in the luggage. Else I might wrap it up with some sort of protections before checking in, just in case. :cool:

I had to check my Manfrotto 190B sized tripod in when travelling to Aussie.Special handling and all i got was a few dings and scratches.No problem.

Hi all,
but what about expensive tripod ??? do u guys check in with the tripod or carry it with you onto the plane. Will there be any security problem ??

I hand carry my CF tripod with me no problem. At the check in counter they ask me to check in I told them no. From USA, JPN to SG so far no problem.

YMMV

Been to Australia & back -- all equipment (including tripod) hand carried onto the plane.

hi,

thanks all, i think i will want to carry the tripod manually too. Sometime, i observed how the airport handlers handle the luggage and saw them throwing it around due to the fast aircraft turn overrate. Thats why im having reservation about this. thanks :D

i juz checked in my long tripod (abt 50cm)
specifically stated it as a tripod when checking in
and *opps* i left the head on

turned out fine, no problem
currently in europe too

just rtn from Aust

pack tripod and head (separate head from body) in my luagguage

no prob

I guess really depends on what luggage you are using. If using samsonite hard case (those big ones), you can safely put the tripod in the luggage. Else I might wrap it up with some sort of protections before checking in, just in case. :cool:

Thanks for the assurance, but i think i will try hand carry 1st. My tripod is about 1M in length so it aint small at all and usually i backpack(hence no tough luggage case). -_-"

Thats why im a bit worry this time.

Thanks for the assurance, but i think i will try hand carry 1st. My tripod is about 1M in length so it aint small at all and usually i backpack(hence no tough luggage case). -_-"

Thats why im a bit worry this time.

once board in the plan request them to help you secure the tripod if the overhead storage cannot store it.

once board in the plan request them to help you secure the tripod if the overhead storage cannot store it.

Ok thanks :D thats a good idea too.

Try to carry the tripod with me, but during the last trip from Japan, not able to pass the airport security(too long), as a result need to check in the tripod. But I take out the head before checking in.

Hi...

I'm going to Japan soon too. But I thot u have to check in your luggage first, then go thru the security check? By the time u realized the tripod cannot be hand carried at the security check point, how did you check your tripod in?

Was your tripod very big or long?

Hi...

I'm going to Japan soon too. But I thot u have to check in your luggage first, then go thru the security check? By the time u realized the tripod cannot be hand carried at the security check point, how did you check your tripod in?

Was your tripod very big or long?

dunno, just bash thru i think. im using a 055MF3. so its quite big and long. ;)

HAhaha...i'm going to Japan soon too... Also using 055PROB... Wondering whether can be brought into the plane...:bsmilie:

it is best if you put your tripod inside a tripod bag, the chances that they allow you to hand carry in is higher. I have hand carry in my monopod (monopod in a box) and tripod (tripod bag) before.

I was carrying the 190 PRO to Japan, going there is not a problem i bring along with me but when coming back during the security check they said is too long. As a result i have to go out and check the tripod into the cargo but i took out my head just in case. But i think it depend on luck or sometime which airport. I came back from Kansai Airport just for your information.

I was carrying the 190 PRO to Japan, going there is not a problem i bring along with me but when coming back during the security check they said is too long. As a result i have to go out and check the tripod into the cargo but i took out my head just in case. But i think it depend on luck or sometime which airport. I came back from Kansai Airport just for your information.
Woe.. if 190 is deemed too long, then 055 should be checked in.

Status
Not open for further replies.