Travelling oversea with camera equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.
My tripod is about 60cm long. They don't allow hand carry of tripods at London-Heathrow. I had to check that in, resulting in deep scratches. I had a backpack with my laptop in it and some winter coat in it which I intend to hand carry and my camera bag was slunged by my side. I was forced to put everything into one bag. By the time I squeeze everything in, I almost couldn't close it. When I reached Dubai, i checked and realised I damaged my laptop screen. Darn. I really disliked the way the British handle things.

Hand carried my tripod on the flight from Dubai, everything is fine.

u took BA izit?

most airlines i've been on are quite accomodating to camera gear being carried on as opposed to being checked in (unless you're talking about those huge pelican cases containing your studio lights and all!) long tripods folded still shouldn't be a problem. I seen people carry strange pole-like objects onto the plane too. So long as its short enough to go into the overhead, I don't think that will be a problem.

I would advise a bag like the CompuTrekker or CompuRover if you're talking about that amount of gear. Or if you prefer sling, the 650 Stealth Reporter. They are all able to go into your overhead without too much problem. Just take note, don't secure the tripod if you're the above-mentioned bags, it won't be able to fit into the overhead. Separate them.

Weight-wise... I think don't worry too much. Mine was about 10+kg in all. The only time when I had a problem with handcarry luggage weight was when I fly with SAF :p As a civilian who actually bought the ticket, nahh....

Oh, also I was carrying 2 bags. A CompuRover and another crumpler laptop bag (due to 2 laptops).

Be prepared to take out your laptops and all when going through airport security though. Singapore is pretty strict with that lately.

yup.. i remember they took down particulars of the labtop user before they check in.. saying it for security reasons in case something happened to the flight due to labtop, they know who to look.. tt airline co. was sia.

u took BA izit?

I took Emirates. The lock of my luggage even got cut open and my beloved swiss army knife was taken. That was from Dubai to Singapore. I carried my tripod along that leg.

Heathrow is such a pain. :(

Anyone knows of a travel insurance that will cover around 1k and to USA? I checked around and having not much luck... Those that cover America only up to SG$500 per item...

I took Emirates. The lock of my luggage even got cut open and my beloved swiss army knife was taken. That was from Dubai to Singapore. I carried my tripod along that leg.

relax.. in america my family's luggage got trashed (when we just arrived!!!), and we had to buy a new luggage... lucky i had a cheap tripod inside which didn't spoil... the next time i'm bringing everything on board....don't dare to risk it anymore...

sorry for u.. even the cargo dept luggage also so strict on emirates..

relax.. in america my family's luggage got trashed (when we just arrived!!!), and we had to buy a new luggage... lucky i had a cheap tripod inside which didn't spoil... the next time i'm bringing everything on board....don't dare to risk it anymore...

US is super duper strict.. esp after the 911 incidents.. they cant afford another 911.. so just have to bear with them...

Anyone knows of a travel insurance that will cover around 1k and to USA? I checked around and having not much luck... Those that cover America only up to SG$500 per item...

i bought tecnet travel insurance covering 1k for PG gear.. if my spouse were to buy also, that will be 2k coverage..

Hi all,

I know i wouldnt trust the Airport handler to handle my camera bag, but what about expensive tripod ??? do u guys check in with the tripod or carry it with you onto the plane. Will there be any security problem ??

Ramius

my tripod send in for check in. laptop, camera all hand carry on haversack.... imagine carrying in 60kgs in..... but that was after 911, and i did this on a sia flight. :bsmilie:

psst. i came back with a 120kg haversack and 92kg luggage... i dunno why.. :dunno:

my tripod send in for check in. laptop, camera all hand carry on haversack.... imagine carrying in 60kgs in..... but that was after 911, and i did this on a sia flight. :bsmilie:

psst. i came back with a 120kg haversack and 92kg luggage... i dunno why.. :dunno:

your overweight tax must be scary.. hee..

Just some update on my recent travelling trip to india with my 3 friends L, B and Z.

All 4 of us brought out tripods along and IIRC, all 4 of us check in the tripods together with the luggages.
Z got a net which he used to tie all the equipment together and cover it, while B put it into his haversack i think and Me and L strapped the tripod with the backpacks.

When we reached New Delhi airport, the strap of L was found to be broken and her Tripod gone. thou it was a cheap tripod, it does mean that L have to do the trip without her tripod and i cant imagaine the agony if its a $800 equipment.

i still strapped the tripod to my backpack on my return trip thou.

For those with the Stealth Reporter 500AW, it fits beneath the airline seat as well.

I've travelled to most parts of Europe (except UK) and in China, with my tripod as carry on baggage. Of course, I wrap the tripod in a layer of bubble-wrap and also put it in a bag. No probs taking it along even in most airlines (SQ, AirChina, China Eastern, and other domestic airlines in Europe as well as budget airlines like Vueling in Spain)

However, recently I flew to Brisbane by Emirates. I was asked to check-in the tripod at Brisbane airport on my return (its funny, while going to Brisbane I could hand carry it along with me). I made a mistake. In my agitation and frustration at having been asked to checkin the tripod, I forgot to remove the ball head and put it in my camera backpack :(

When I collected the tripod in Singapore, I didn't check the tripod bag or its contents carefully - was just glad that it made it safely to Singapore. At home later, I found that the tripod bag got cut at a couple of places and horror of horror, when i opened the bag, the ballhead was slightly scratched. Felt so bloody pissed ;( but its my fault as i didn't check it at the airport.

Moral of the story. If you have a big enough check-in baggage, wrap the tripod with two layers of good quality bubblewrap and put the tripod inside the check-in baggage.

I made it through with 1 backpack, 1 laptop bag and 1 more bag that is disguised to look like souvenirs bought at the DFS shops. Overall, nearly 20kg. LOL SQ somemore.

how does monopod looks like? whats the difference between tripod n monopod? what are the advantages of having a monopod?

Status
Not open for further replies.