Travelling equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

allcowsmoo

Mar 17, 2004
Hi. I am going to purchase a D70 kit soon, and intend to buy other accessories altogether at once ( maybe can get a better price ). haha. Anyway, Im going to England for a 12-day trip in early June and im wondering, a 512MB is definitely not enough i guess. Im not exactly sure if everything will be enough, so should i buy (if cant borrow) another one or two cards ? or should i buy a portable storage ?

figured out that if i buy extra cards, i would probably not end up using it, cos i dun go for long trips that often ! and so it might be wasted. can someone give me some suggestions ? =) Thanks lots.

I would suggest u get portable storage .... I went to mexico for a month, and ended up with around 5-6G of photos ....

allcowsmoo said:
Hi. I am going to purchase a D70 kit soon, and intend to buy other accessories altogether at once ( maybe can get a better price ). haha. Anyway, Im going to England for a 12-day trip in early June and im wondering, a 512MB is definitely not enough i guess. Im not exactly sure if everything will be enough, so should i buy (if cant borrow) another one or two cards ? or should i buy a portable storage ?

figured out that if i buy extra cards, i would probably not end up using it, cos i dun go for long trips that often ! and so it might be wasted. can someone give me some suggestions ? =) Thanks lots.

darrelchia said:
I would suggest u get portable storage .... I went to mexico for a month, and ended up with around 5-6G of photos ....

I second that. I went to Thailand for 4 days and came back with about 1GB of photos (not in RAW somemore).

Yup, either get a portable storage or bring your laptop. I was away for a week and ended up with more than 3GB worth of pictures...:)

... or get a couple of Creative MuVo's :D :D :D

darrelchia said:

Hi Darrel

You went to which part of Mexico? I am interested in going there in Nov for my honeymoon as well as do some shooting. Do you have any pics on gallery to share or any advice?

Get a portable storage like Xdrive or something.
Want me to rent u my xdrive? hehe I think many of us have portable storages for trips.
If u go for regular trips I advice u to invest in 1.

A fisheye lens is oso a nice addition to have, not very big and heavy but can get some nice composition.

If u can afford to travel heavy, then maybe a mid or high zoom lens oso good, like 70-200mm. I find a zoom useful but i cannot afford to carry heavy equipment on foot trips, really like road match.

it is important to get a good bag for your camera stuff....and i recommend the lowepro rover series (Rover AW II / Rover Light / Rover Plus).

what i normally put in my rover aw II are :
12-24 / 24-120 / 80-200 / flash / 2 spare batts / d100 + mb-d100

and i still have space for other additional stuff.

i normally travelled with 2x1gb CF cards, and a 20gb xdrive2, but i dun always carry the xdrive2 while out shooting. the 2 CF are enuff for my one day shoot, and i will normally clearout the CF cards at the end of the day, when i return back to the place i'm staying.

its also good if you're able to carry a small mini tripod if possible (plus a stronge enuff ballhead).

Hi,
Always travel light! Don't try to be a walking studio. You can bring lots of shooting equipment but plan to bring only selected gear per outing.
It's great to have the proper equipment to take certain shots but it is better to make use of what you have on the spot, compose, use your creativity and you will be more satisfied. ;)
Just my 2c and from the experience of lugging 35mm, MF and digital gear along the Blue Mountain trails in Sydney last Christmas! Almost killed me!! ;p

thanks to all of you who have contributed. i also have considered a portable storage, but im trying to keep my budget low, and cos i dun really go for long trips, so the portable storage or the (many many) memory cards may come to a waste. any suggestions ? and whats the lower price of portable storages and the few bags mentioned =) ? i cant sem to find the rover series on the website. can anyone also reccomend bag ? ( i bring my cam wif me everywhere, shudden look too squarish..) =)

allcowsmoo said:
thanks to all of you who have contributed. i also have considered a portable storage, but im trying to keep my budget low, and cos i dun really go for long trips, so the portable storage or the (many many) memory cards may come to a waste. any suggestions ? and whats the lower price of portable storages and the few bags mentioned =) ? i cant sem to find the rover series on the website. can anyone also reccomend bag ? ( i bring my cam wif me everywhere, shudden look too squarish..) =)

Lowepro Rover AW II should cost approx $150.

Lowepro Rover Plus AW

For portable storage, checkout Eastgear.

also look at the minitrekker AW by lowepro... great bag too... water resistant and stuff like that... can put in a lot of stuff and still have space to put other things in like extra clothes... by the way.. buy an xdrive or anything of that sort... went to bali just a few days ago for 5 days and came back with 4 GB of photos... all in jpegs...

allcowsmoo said:

i use street and field cos i scared later people may cut open the bag and steal something without u knowing... at least a sling bag is at the side or sometimes in front

yea.. well.. all bags have their pros and cons... it depends really which one that really suits u... for me.. i do lots o' adventure sports and stuff like that so a shoulder bag is not good for me...

nickmak said:
yea.. well.. all bags have their pros and cons... it depends really which one that really suits u... for me.. i do lots o' adventure sports and stuff like that so a shoulder bag is not good for me...

Suggestions from an old traveller :

1. Don't carry a bag that is obviously a camera bag. Bags that shout "Canon !", Nikon ! or LowePro ! makes you a more obvious target for thieves. Many countries aren't as safe as Singapore, and petty crime is a real problem even in first world countries. I've been a victim of such crimes in France and Italy.

2. Don't carry too much equipment. I've found that next to gettings things stolen, nothing spoils a vacation more than feeling tired from lugging around too much stuff. A nice 28-105/135 (approx 18-70mm on a D70) lens is all you need generally unless you have very specific needs. Yes, its great to have a fisheye, or a 300mm, but is it worth lugging it around ( or risk getting it stolen ) just to get that few extra photos ? You decide.

3. I thought long and hard before my last vacation if I should i bring my 300D and a couple of lenses, or my all-singing-all dancing A1 for its convenience. I chose the A1, and had no regrets. If you are travelling for vacation/relaxation, then I feel convenience is the name of the game. If you are travelling for the sole purpose of taking photos, then putting up with more equipment would make sense. I'm leaving on another trip tomorrow, and I'm still taking my A1.

4. A Xdrive or equivalent is a good choice. A 2nd hand Xdrive I is only around $80 or so. Its a great value if you are really tight on budget. Though lacking in features, it does it's basic job well. I took one around Europe and shot close to 20GB of photos. Didn't lose a single one. Add a 20-30GB harddisk for around $150, and you've only paid $230, the price of a 512MB CF card. Add another $50 and you can get a XDrive II (2nd hand. Brand new is $155). Caveat : if your drive crashes, you lose EVERYTHING.

its true... thing is i go on vacations particularly for adventures so a tough bag is definitely on my list and i carry a 28-135 and a 70-200mm lens for all shooting needs... i wanna go to africa on safari and wanna get a longer lens... wat do u suggest? (Sorry for changing subjects...)

thanks again. heh. if i want to get a 2nd hand portable storage, where to get it ? ruby photo ? and for the harddisk, if i wanna get 2nd hand oso ( uh huh ), where to go and how to tell the person the type which i need ?

and one more thing..is there things like...the shell...with a built in hard disk?

Status
Not open for further replies.