Traveling with tripods

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcy81

Jan 30, 2008
Hi,

didn't find in the searches. so i want to check if its anyone travel with tripods before ?
Do you hand carry up the plane or check in ? any size limitations ?

thanks
Chee Yong

Hi, tcy81.
Tripods are generally tough. So I will always check them in inside my check-in luggage. Hand-carry, not impossible. Just that sometimes the extra piece of longish-looking equipment simply invites more scrutiny from the customs officers. Size limitations? As big as your check-in luggage can hold.
If I carry a backpack for my walk-around on locations, I will mount the tripod on the bag. Otherwise i'll just use a tripod sling when walking around.

i have not have any problem ever with hand carrying tripods.

but it is best to confirm with the check-in personnel

if you are kiasi, just put inside your luggage.

i have not have any problem ever with hand carrying tripods.

but it is best to confirm with the check-in personnel

if you are kiasi, just put inside your luggage.

Hehe... lucky you, night86mare! You must be carrying a high series traveller tripod... max load but yet small and compact. Mine is tua-leng-kong kind. They'll most probably hand-cuff me first before checking my tripod for gun powder...

Hehe... lucky you, night86mare! You must be carrying a high series traveller tripod... max load but yet small and compact. Mine is tua-leng-kong kind. They'll most probably hand-cuff me first before checking my tripod for gun powder...

high series?

no la, all my tripod is super cheap one.. :)

less than $150..

I have mixed experiences.. Sometimes they let me bring the tripod on board, sometimes they stop me at the boarding gates and make me go all the way out to the check in counters and queue up again just to check in the tripod before allowing me to board. As you can imagine, it can be somewhat frustrating. I realise that it's more of the airport policy rather than the airline's policy or even the country's policy. Cos I've had different experience with the same airline and in the same country too, just different airports. I have experience where the airline check in counters let me through, but I was stopped by the airport's customs officers at the departure lounge.

night86mare, r yr tripods small and compact and kept out of sight in ur hand carry bag? I carry mine in my hand. I wonder would that be the determining factor?

mine tend to be prosumer tripod sized. ;) because they ARE prosumer tripods.

Just wrap it in clothes or towels and throw it in the luggage. Why bother hand carry? Not like you're going to set up the tripod on the plane. The hassle of getting stop at the gate and have to re-check is no worth it.

Just wrap it in clothes or towels and throw it in the luggage. Why bother hand carry? Not like you're going to set up the tripod on the plane. The hassle of getting stop at the gate and have to re-check is no worth it.

To certain extend I agree, but sometimes some tripods are too long for some smaller luggage. My tripod are too long (3 sections tripod)

I've not have any issues with my gitzo traveller tripod. So far nobody has stopped me from bringing it onto the plane.

I always check in my tripod (inside my luggage). Don't want to carry too many things onboard - just my camera and lenses.

I always packed my tripod in my luggage but during my recent flight from Chengdu to Jiuzhaigou, in order to travel light, I left my luggage at the hotel in Chengdu which we were going to return to later and checked-in the tripod with its carry-bag. Unfortunately for me, the zip on the carry bag was damaged and I didn't know until I needed the tripod much later. So I guess, if possible, still better to pack the tripod in luggage.

Just wrap the tripod with some clothing and throw it into your luggage. Tripods are tough. Can take a beating. I would use mine to bash any guy that try to rob me.

i lugged it behind my lowerpro backpack...so far they never make any big deal about it...only ask what is it...then i say tripod...they see my camera stuff...then okie liao

I always hand-carry my tripod (folded 60cm+) or strap it to my camera backpack and so far, I 've not encountered any problem with any airline.

Perhaps we can compile a list of airports that do and do not allow tripods to be carried on board the plane?

I was at Saigon a couple of months back and they do not allow. I got past the airline check-in counter, but was turned back at the xray machines by the departure gates' customs officer. I tried to reassure her it's just a tripod and she simply points at a poster of banned items to be carried online. (Tripods are clearly displayed as not allowed) so end of discussion lol. I had to go back to the check-in counter to check in the tripod. You should have seen the smirk on the staff's face :p

At the moment I can't remember which airport let me through. But I'm pretty sure Changi airport does allow it. (for some airlines at least)

i'm in taiwan now, checked in my tripod which was placed in my luggage. mine is manfrotto rather heavy tripod, do get a light one if you intend to carry it with you everyday.

I find that Google is pretty useful in searching the CS forums. :)

To OT a bit, it is so true. Just use proper search term will result in useful return.

Btw, sometimes I check in my tripod, when I carry smaller luggage that cannot fit my long tripod, I hand carry on board.

Status
Not open for further replies.