Traveling Gear

Status
Not open for further replies.

frametology

Dec 10, 2006
Upper Thomson
Dear all,

I know it's quite wrong of me to post this here, but I'm in desperate need of help! Where can I find backpackers' backpacks here in SG?

And what's the rough price I should be paying? Thanks!

Mods, feel free to move this somewhere more appropriate.

Thanks.

mark

You can find it at Sports Connection. There are several outlets in SG. Currently, they are having discount up till 60%. 50L backpack for only around 60 bucks.

Just got mine a couple days ago for my upcoming vietnam trip.

You can find it at Sports Connection. There are several outlets in SG. Currently, they are having discount up till 60%. 50L backpack for only around 60 bucks.

Just got mine a couple days ago for my upcoming vietnam trip.

WOO! GREAT! THANKS!

anyway, how's the quality of the bags?

There're lots of shops near Sim Lim. I usually get my backpacks from a store on the 2nd floor of Sim Lim, nice to deal with and friendly

You can try the beach road army market. I got my backpacks there. :)

WOO! GREAT! THANKS!

anyway, how's the quality of the bags?

The cushions and compartments of the bags are pretty good.

They sell High Sierra, Vertical, Osprey, Bodypac and some other brands in their shops.

I've been using my old vertical backpack for 4-5 years already until I decided to get a bigger one.

thanks for all the replies!

i went down to beach road, and got myself a deuter gobi, 65+10L for 139.

i thought it was reasonable. what do you guys think?

oh. and i read on another local forum that the built of deuter bags suck. can anyone confirm this? the uncle at the shop told me that people at forums don't know **** (and this i somewhat agree). he told me that the inner lining of the bags peel off because of improper care for it, he advised me to powder the bag before keeping it in storage. this would preserve the waterproof wax layer.

Cannot remember the price i got 2 yrs back for my deuter gobi , but it has survived 3 backpacking trips and it is still working great :)

I got mine from Carrefour at some promo price then.

Ryan

the waterproof wax layer is still stuck on to the inside of the bag? great!

oh. and i read on another local forum that the built of deuter bags suck. can anyone confirm this? the uncle at the shop told me that people at forums don't know **** (and this i somewhat agree). he told me that the inner lining of the bags peel off because of improper care for it, he advised me to powder the bag before keeping it in storage. this would preserve the waterproof wax layer.

Well.. My deuter still works after 5 years and its inner lining remains completely intact.. The only thing its just not as waterproof as when I first got it.. :think:

every bag will eventually wear & tear

under normal circumstances, pay for more, last longer

no secret about it

i own 2 deuter backpack since 2000, still going strong, zipper etc still working well

wah! good thing that the deuter bags are getting such good reviews.

this question has been asked to death, but i'll ask anyhow.
to bring or not to bring (a tripod) on holiday, that is the question.

i'm going cambodia in mid DEC. back packing, so is getting a tripod worth it? i already have a manfrotto one, which is heavier than an elephant. so yah, i was thinking of getting lighter legs from benro and continue using my manfrotto ball head. any recommendations?

ahhh-tankyewzzxx.

heard that benro ones aren't too good. the locks can slide if ur setup is heavy. Not too suer abt that coz i don't own one. Benro is like copying manfrotto ones. what's ur setup? TS, can specify which part of beach road u got your bag frm? thinking of getting bps too. thanks.

Last edited:
heard that benro ones aren't too good. the locks can slide if ur setup is heavy. Not too suer abt that coz i don't own one. Benro is like copying manfrotto ones. what's ur setup? TS, can specify which part of beach road u got your bag frm? thinking of getting bps too. thanks.

ha. the amount you pay for a manfrotto, i think you can get 2 - 3 benros. my set up is not that heavy, 400D with grip, 17-35 or 70-200F4 (non-is)

as for the bag, just go to the army market, Chop Chip Huat. the people there are quite knowledgeable. if it's your first time, don't spend too much on the bag. 150 should be the max. i got my 65+10 for 139

i have used 5 deuter bags, 3 of them are >40L, 1 of them 35L, 1 of them 10L. the oldest have peeled inside.

however, i have not wanted to change, becos none of the others i have tried feels as ergonomic. padding and ease of adjustment of the straps are very important. choices are plenty, of all volumes as well as those super light ones.

the benro one, i wouldn't say it's very cheap. You can check it out at http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201502, since you need one for travelling why don't you get the manfrotto one, 718 series. that one you can check it out at manfrotto's website or check out in mass sales, this guy called eugene sells it. Btw, is there a wide range of colours and designs? 139 for original?

benro clones that of gitzo, not manfrotto.

I would suggest you get something better quality than bodypac and high sierra. It is important to get something durable(opsrey, tatonka, deuter vaude), it would suck big time if the backpack carrying all your stuff is to give way while you're overseas.
Personally, I bought a Deuter 75+10L for about 189 about 6years ago, followed me to Mt Kinabalu, Vietnam, Cambodia, and a few countries. Still looks like new. One time investment, definitely worth it. :)

oh. okay point noted. u can try slik sprint pro for a travelliing tripod too. as for me, still prefer manfrotto and gitzo. but slik is quite good too, jap brand if i'm not wrong.

i have a deuter backpack which i bought 12 years ago. it's still in rather good condition, considering the amount of abuse it went through.

Status
Not open for further replies.