Travel with Tripod

Status
Not open for further replies.

AbangR

Jun 17, 2008
I want to get opinions here on the best way to bring a tripod during trips.

Should I get a camera bag that have tripod pouch?
or are there ways to fasten tripod on the camera bag?

FYI, I like to travel light.

TIA

Have you consider a monopod... those with the legs that can stand on it's own. can just use it as a walking sticks :)

otherwise, you'd probably need a bag. The last time i carried y tripod around, i kinda clip the loop of the tripod bag to the strap of my camera bag and leave it dangling.

Get a tripod bag, or get a backpack that has a tripod strap-able area.

i use a tripod strap to sling. when i don't require it tat often i will strap it back to my camera backpack.

i do without a bag, it saves alot of hassle, just sling it over shoulders. faster to deploy too.

how heavy is ur tripod?
IMG_0002.jpg

free-end of sling for special requirement, cannot find anywhere to fix. lol. :bsmilie:

IMG_0003.jpg

carrying handle with cut-off PVC pipe. additional way to carry.

IMG_0001.jpg

fixed end of sling in detail.

materials used:
. 1' wide nylon strap
. hose clips
. basic sewing to re-enforce the strap (optional), as the hose clips should do fine.
. cutout of transparent PVC hose for friction when tightening hose clips. also prevent scratches
. elastic cord as shoulder strap

Last edited:
weight of the tripod is a very big factor that you must consider.

anyway, i strap my tripod into my bag with those fasterners you find in the army market. the kind you use to attach things to your field pack.

Sling or strap up would mean that you'll have a free availbale hand to do other stuff. Bags can be rather bulky at times. Best if you could strap on to your bag in such a way that it does not restrict movement.

my 2 cens worth

i do without a bag, it saves alot of hassle, just sling it over shoulders. faster to deploy too.

how heavy is ur tripod?
IMG_0002.jpg

free-end of sling for special requirement, cannot find anywhere to fix. lol. :bsmilie:

IMG_0003.jpg

carrying handle with cut-off PVC pipe. additional way to carry.

IMG_0001.jpg

fixed end of sling in detail.

materials used:
. 1' wide nylon strap
. hose clips
. basic sewing to re-enforce the strap (optional), as the hose clips should do fine.
. cutout of transparent PVC hose for friction when tightening hose clips. also prevent scratches
. elastic cord as shoulder strap

Why not use plastic connectors/fasteners? Metal will scratch.

i use a shoulder bag, make sure i don't bring a truckload of lenses because if one is du lan with carrying lenses one will not get good shots. that's me, anyways.

and then use a tripod bag. i don't mind carrying the tripod naked but it tends to attract unwanted attention sometimes. a tripod bag tends to be more ambiguous until you whip it out.

Never liked tripod bags. Fine when the tripod is in the bag, but I find they get in the way once the tripod is out. Unless they've made some self-collapsing/folding tripod bag that hooks up easily to the camera bag and is easy to use.

Now I'd pay good money for that one!

When I was in HK I just slung the tripod out one night. I did feel like some soldier though...

Never liked tripod bags. Fine when the tripod is in the bag, but I find they get in the way once the tripod is out. Unless they've made some self-collapsing/folding tripod bag that hooks up easily to the camera bag and is easy to use.

i stuff my tripod bag until it collapses.

actually i still like the bag that came with the slik sprint 3-way tripod. very soft, can stuff into pocket

Now I'd pay good money for that one!

When I was in HK I just slung the tripod out one night. I did feel like some soldier though...

I think strapping the tripod to a camera back pack just attract too much attention plus you never know what you can knock into accidentally.

Why not get a cheap backpack (non padded) and just throw the tripod inside. Maybe leave a little sticking out for easy access. Just pull from over the shoulder. When packing check-in luggage, just throw the whole backpack into the luggage.

Status
Not open for further replies.