Travel tripod to recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
btw, when you guys say "not stable", does it mean topple when wind blow or will have camera shake when wind blow?
will be using tripod to include myself in the photo when travelling, so camera shake is less of an issue for me.... but if you mean topple when wind blow then i might have to reconsider...

lizzy said:
btw, when you guys say "not stable", does it mean topple when wind blow or will have camera shake when wind blow?
will be using tripod to include myself in the photo when travelling, so camera shake is less of an issue for me.... but if you mean topple when wind blow then i might have to reconsider...

not that serious for the whole tripod to topple unless the wind is realli realli strong
and for that benro tripod, i doubt it is stable from the design.the center of gravity will be very far at the top which will cause serious inbalance

ExplorerZ said:
at home is pretty possible... but outdoor when wind blown... :dunno: :think:

I'll let you all know if my cam topples over after my long trip ;) *cross fingers* that it will not cos I am not prepared to buy a new cam yet.

ExplorerZ said:
not that serious for the whole tripod to topple unless the wind is realli realli strong
and for that benro tripod, i doubt it is stable from the design.the center of gravity will be very far at the top which will cause serious inbalance

As for a normal Benro tripod modle like M227n6 (weight 1.6kg) and A227 (weight about 2.3kg) can take my body weight (50++kg). I have tried it myself. As the Benro tripod design, it's the same with Gitzo and with improvement.

Take a look at the Benro Tripod Review for more details

swiftdragon said:
I'll let you all know if my cam topples over after my long trip ;) *cross fingers* that it will not cos I am not prepared to buy a new cam yet.

haha, wun topple la unless the wind is real strong... at most is shake... but as a tripod, it is surpose to keep ur camera steady... a little shake enough to mean that the tripod is not stable

Jack006 said:
As for a normal Benro tripod modle like M227n6 (weight 1.6kg) and A227 (weight about 2.3kg) can take my body weight (50++kg). I have tried it myself. As the Benro tripod design, it's the same with Gitzo and with improvement.

Take a look at the Benro Tripod Review for more details

but hes talking about the monopod (with tripod-like function) not a real tripod...

ExplorerZ said:
but hes talking about the monopod (with tripod-like function) not a real tripod...

oh, ya... right... the monopod can't be used as a tripod and u need to hold it when u shoot...the 3 small legs can only to help u balance a bit...

but if u r using a Benro tripod, you can always count on it even in the strong wind…add weight (like a backpack) to the center hood then u can lower the COG and make it more stable.

I suggest u travel with ur PPCP..it shouldn't be so much burden, unless u r going back packing where luggage load is an issue..if tat's the case, the slik sprint pro is one handy light weight tripod ideal for travelling..u can mount quick release adapters to the ball head..i've see my fren doing that..and its pretty stable when mounted with his D70s and 17-55mm lens..

Jack006 said:
oh, ya... right... the monopod can't be used as a tripod and u need to hold it when u shoot...the 3 small legs can only to help u balance a bit...

but if u r using a Benro tripod, you can always count on it even in the strong wind…add weight (like a backpack) to the center hood then u can lower the COG and make it more stable.

oh, i will be sold if the monopod could act like a tripod, guess i was wishing too much :D

i know i am pushing my luck, but if i secure my backpack to the base of the monopod, any chance it could act like a tripod? :think:

blazer_workz said:
I suggest u travel with ur PPCP..it shouldn't be so much burden, unless u r going back packing where luggage load is an issue..if tat's the case, the slik sprint pro is one handy light weight tripod ideal for travelling..u can mount quick release adapters to the ball head..i've see my fren doing that..and its pretty stable when mounted with his D70s and 17-55mm lens..

not really worried about luggage load. i usually walk around with my backpack and camera when sight seeing, so a small and light tripod will be a relief off my shoulder. only need it at times when i want to include myself in the photo or doing night shots.

comparing the slik sprint pro and ppcp, 48cm vs 55cm, 980g vs 1300g, there is minimal advantage over the ppcp. guess i need to get use to carrying a larger tripod

rhair78 said:
hmm.. i seriously think the slik sprint pro is not a stable tripod for DSLRs..

i have the Slik Sprint Pro, and its only good for point and shoots like the coolpix P2 etc.

If you want small, light, check out Gitzo.
Yes, very pricey, but yes, damn stable, and holds enough weight. Very easy to lock and release the legs too. :D

ExplorerZ said:

The sprint pro I am using, changed with a cheapo ballhead from TCW and added quick release..

Light and small enough that it will not bother my travelling.
Cheap enough that I won't bother so much even if lost.
Good enough to hold my 2.6 kg gear and still takes sharp night photos on few seconds.
Sturdy enough at top of Great Wall with moderate winds snapping photos of myself.

Yes to add on....used it at sheares bridge side by side with those super expensive bazooka tripod taking fireworks. Cars, lorries, trucks.......Vibrations? If a mini tripod can feel vibration why not the big one?

:devil: for the above...maybe it is just me :cool:

dominator said:
The sprint pro I am using, changed with a cheapo ballhead from TCW and added quick release..

Good enough to hold my 2.6 kg gear and still takes sharp night photos on few seconds.
Sturdy enough at top of Great Wall with moderate winds snapping photos of myself.

Yes to add on....used it at sheares bridge side by side with those super expensive bazooka tripod taking fireworks. Cars, lorries, trucks.......Vibrations? If a mini tripod can feel vibration why not the big one?

:thumbsup:

dominator said:

nice to hear that :thumbsup: i am looking at the sprint mini, even smaller than sprint pro. its36cm fold up length and 740g might be the travel tripod for me. any recommendations for quick release that can attach to the original ballhead?

ExplorerZ said:
That's why good tripod comes with a hook below the center column post. This hook is for you to hang a sandbag, haversack, camera bag, etc... to weigh down the tripod to prevent camera shake due to strong wind.

photobum said:
That's why good tripod comes with a hook below the center column post. This hook is for you to hang a sandbag, haversack, camera bag, etc... to weigh down the tripod to prevent camera shake due to strong wind.
I have not seen people in sg hook anything to their tripod.Maybe the wind here not strong.

zaxh81 said:
I have not seen people in sg hook anything to their tripod.Maybe the wind here not strong.

yeah, so far, i have not experience really strong winds when taking photos...

lizzy said:
nice to hear that :thumbsup: i am looking at the sprint mini, even smaller than sprint pro. its36cm fold up length and 740g might be the travel tripod for me. any recommendations for quick release that can attach to the original ballhead?
it's only 110cm max height compared to the sprint pro at 162cm.

Really, for a DSLR, i's suggest the sprint pro + 3-way head.

AReality said:
it's only 110cm max height compared to the sprint pro at 162cm.

Really, for a DSLR, i's suggest the sprint pro + 3-way head.

yeah i know, its around 820mm without extending the center column, still quite usable... just have to kneel down to adjust the camera. it's already a much better idea than just carrying a mini tripod (sometimes can't find any flat or tall enough support for it)

called CP, quoted $75 for the sprint mini and $40 for a giottos quick release.

Slik Sprint Pro is rather shaky. Put on your dslr and long tele and you will see your images shakes thru the viewfinder very easily. Not for serious shooters ...

Status
Not open for further replies.