Travel tripod to recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lizzy

Dec 26, 2004
Any light and compact travel tripod to recommend?
less than 1kg including ballhead with quick release plate, can hold a small dslr with kit lens

lizzy said:
Any light and compact travel tripod to recommend?
less than 1kg including ballhead with quick release plate, can hold a small dslr with kit lens

no budget? get a carbon fibre one then... strong and light!
if on budget... can consider slik sprint pro weighting around 1kg cost <$90 with a ballhead(ballhead seems to wear pretty easily). :thumbsup:

ExplorerZ said:
no budget? get a carbon fibre one then... strong and light!
if on budget... can consider slik sprint pro weighting around 1kg cost <$90 with a ballhead(ballhead seems to wear pretty easily). :thumbsup:

does it come with a quick release plate?

Just some brief question...

How heavy is the setup(equipment) that you are going to put on the tripod???
Would your mind be at cease if the tripod is "unstable"???

have 2 examples of tripod for you to decide:
1) Slik sprint pro
2) PPCP pro tripod

jnet6 said:
Just some brief question...

How heavy is the setup(equipment) that you are going to put on the tripod???
Would your mind be at cease if the tripod is "unstable"???

have 2 examples of tripod for you to decide:
1) Slik sprint pro
2) PPCP pro tripod

my setup is a pentax *ist DL + kit lens. should be be around 1kg +? have not really weigh it..
should be fine with me as long as the tripod won't topple when shooting vertically... i already got the PPCP pro tripod, but will prefer something lighter and smaller for travelling overseas...

does the Slik sprint pro have a quick release plate or can i attach a quick release plate to it?

the slik sprint minis size looks very attractive

lizzy said:
my setup is a pentax *ist DL + kit lens. should be be around 1kg +? have not really weigh it..
should be fine with me as long as the tripod won't topple when shooting vertically... i already got the PPCP pro tripod, but will prefer something lighter and smaller for travelling overseas...

does the Slik sprint pro have a quick release plate or can i attach a quick release plate to it?

the slik sprint minis size looks very attractive
Do take a look around the site for more information on the other tripod at the same series...

Had spoon-fed you with the site liao, explore more. :)

jnet6 said:
Do take a look around the site for more information on the other tripod at the same series...

Had spoon-fed you with the site liao, explore more. :)

Thanks for the info, but the site does not say about quick release plates.
i am new to ballheads, quick release, etc read something about quick release adaptor, but dunno how it function. does it attach to any ballhead?

lizzy said:
Thanks for the info, but the site does not say about quick release plates.
i am new to ballheads, quick release, etc read something about quick release adaptor, but dunno how it function. does it attach to any ballhead?
You will need the pan head version if you want quick release for this Slik sprint pro series. :)

Get the PPCP tripod .. it has been my trip to cambodia and hold my D2h + 17-35mmf/2.8 for waterfall shoot ... and nicely placed inside the luggage .. :)

KNIGHT ONG said:
Get the PPCP tripod .. it has been my trip to cambodia and hold my D2h + 17-35mmf/2.8 for waterfall shoot ... and nicely placed inside the luggage .. :)
He got liao... and i've ordered mine liao... :devil:

:thumbsup: for the PPCP pro tripod!!!

jnet6 said:
He got liao... and i've ordered mine liao... :devil:

:thumbsup: for the PPCP pro tripod!!!

yeah... ppcp pro tripod will be my PRO tripod :thumbsup: . just need a smaller one when travelling cos i will probably carry it with me all the time... think will go for the slik sprint mini and compromise on the quick release plate. any shops to recommend + price?

hmm.. i seriously think the slik sprint pro is not a stable tripod for DSLRs..

i have the Slik Sprint Pro, and its only good for point and shoots like the coolpix P2 etc.

If you want small, light, check out Gitzo.
Yes, very pricey, but yes, damn stable, and holds enough weight. Very easy to lock and release the legs too. :D

rhair78 said:
hmm.. i seriously think the slik sprint pro is not a stable tripod for DSLRs..

i have the Slik Sprint Pro, and its only good for point and shoots like the coolpix P2 etc.

If you want small, light, check out Gitzo.
Yes, very pricey, but yes, damn stable, and holds enough weight. Very easy to lock and release the legs too. :D

the specs says it can support up to 2kg, so should be ok if my setup is within specs?

lizzy said:
the specs says it can support up to 2kg, so should be ok if my setup is within specs?

hehehe.. specs ah..

yes.. can support.. meaning it will not break into little pieces.

but seriously.. a gust of wind, a small accidental touch.. and you can kiss your expensive equipment bye bye..

the slik sprint, could not even hold my small panasonic FZ20 firmly....

lizzy said:
does it come with a quick release plate?

no, but you can get a giottos 1 at ard $35 from cathay as well

ExplorerZ said:
no, but you can get a giottos 1 at ard $35 from cathay as well

how does it work? just screw in to the ball head? or do i need to get a adapter or something?

lizzy said:
how does it work? just screw in to the ball head? or do i need to get a adapter or something?

yes just screw in... but like what rhair have said. it not v. stable for dslr setup... anyway for tripod that weight <1kg i guess none are stable for dSLR setup unless those very top range carbon fibre tripod which cost bomb!

I got the Slik Sprint Pro and bought a benro ballhead with quick release for my travelling purposes. I used it at home with my 350D and have no major complaints. You pay what you get.

swiftdragon said:
I got the Slik Sprint Pro and bought a benro ballhead with quick release for my travelling purposes. I used it at home with my 350D and have no major complaints. You pay what you get.
at home is pretty possible... but outdoor when wind blown... :dunno: :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.