Travel to Penang....

Dfive

Nov 20, 2008
Singapore lah....
www.clubsnap.com
Heh all,

Traveling to Penang for Chinese New Year ( first time Penang ) just seeking advice on local attractions / and great photography locations island wide ( will be staying near Tanjung Bungah area ).

Any advice IS appreciated. :)

Thx. ;)

Heh all,

Traveling to Penang for Chinese New Year ( first time Penang ) just seeking advice on local attractions / and great photography locations island wide ( will be staying near Tanjung Bungah area ).

Any advice IS appreciated. :)

Thx.
Hello DFive, Kek Lok Si temple will be lit with thousands of colorful lights thru-out the CNY period & a pix of the place at night is certainly one you must capture.
There''s also much street activities worth shooting for CNY is one BIG festival in Penang. Chap Goh Meh there is also celebrated with street shows, Chingay parades are not to be missed. More importantly, the char kueh teow with duck's egg & mantis prawns, Teochew chendol (Keng Kwee Lane), Chinese & Indian pasembur, etc are really heavenly. Penang's street food is legendary & easily available:- try New Lane for the dinner fare (where Sunway hotel is), Chulia Street, Cintra Street, etc. These places are all near Komtar. Another good place for street food is at Pulau Tikus Market & coffee-shops along Burmah Rd (opp the Polis Stn)
Please go to this website for more info: <penangtalk.com.photos> .
You may also google "Penang Food blogs" for some 20-30 blogs on Penang food.
You will surely enjoy your stay there-as i've been there for at least 5 times in the last 7 years & enjoyed evry visit-only problem is the public bus transport is chaotic when I visited in mid-Dec-probably because the privately run buses has stopped running very recently & only the Rapid Penang buses are left to cope.

CNY is not a good time to visit, Penang will be jam-packed like mad.

There's the Khoo Kongsi house, old temples and shoplots in the older part of Georgetown.
Go up Penang Hill on the tram (hope it doesn't break down).

I'd skip the food centers in Gurney Drive: overpriced and over-rated.

Transport will be a big problem, the public transport is pretty bad and taxis don't run on meter.
If you're driving, prepare to deal with infamous Penang drivers.

Thanks for the info, very good ;) I'll tackle the chaos.... I'm expecting it ;)

I found this on the net / can you narrow it down a bit for me perhaps ? ( I'm there 4 nights ).

PHOTOGRAPHY IN PENANG

Along Heritage Trail
1) Fort Cornwallis
2) St George Church
3) Kuan Yin Temple
4) Masjid Kapitan Keling
5) Sun Yat Sun Base
6) Muzium Islam
7) Khoo Kongsi
8) Cheah Kongsi
9) The clock tower with the metal sliced salted duck egg
10)Peranakan Mansion (Church Street)
11)

Along Lebuh Fuquhar
1) Francis Light cemetary
2) [Some church name I can't remember]
3) Muzium Negeri
4) Abandoned old shool building

Teluk Bahang
1) End of the World
2) Spice Garden
3) Titi Kerawang toward dam... after End Of The World
4) Monkey Beach / Pantai Kerachut
5) Butterfly park
6) Sunset at the mamak stall infront Spice Garden

Penang Bridge
(island side, there's nothing to shoot on seberang side)
1) Under the bridge
2) Police marina
3) Opposite Egate for sunrise shots
4) Outside Queensbay Mall for night view of Penang Bridge

Batu Feringghi
1) Miami beach
2) The stretch in front of Golden Sands, Rasa Sayang, etc
3) Toy Museum
4) 'Adorable' haunted mansion
5) Floating Mosque

Balik Pulau
1) Fishing villages - Sungai Burung
2) Sunset at Balik Pulau hill
3) Pantai Pasir Panjang (Kem Bina Negara)
4) Bukit Genting, sunset and bird eyes view of Balik Pulau

Ferry
1) Ferry terminal
2) Marina next to ferry for sunrise shots

Penang Hill
1) First train up 6.30am morning for sunrise shots - stop at mid station to shoot because if you go up all the way, you would have missed the golden moment
2) Night shoot of the city lights below

Citibank
1) Citibank flyover shots
2) Light trials of cars passing below

Batu Maung
1) War Museum
2) Teluk Tempoyak, fisherman village

Jelutong
Beside Jelutong Expressway facing mainland for sunrise

Sad, I lived there for over a year and didn't venture much because of the mad traffic.

Along Heritage Trail
1) Fort Cornwallis - SKIP, nothing there
2) St George Church
3) Kuan Yin Temple
4) Masjid Kapitan Keling
5) Sun Yat Sun Base - i think this has been converted into a shoplot or something
6) Muzium Islam
7) Khoo Kongsi - GO
8) Cheah Kongsi
9) The clock tower with the metal sliced salted duck egg
10)Peranakan Mansion (Church Street)

Along Lebuh Fuquhar
1) Francis Light cemetary - SKIP
2) [Some church name I can't remember]
3) Muzium Negeri - SKIP
4) Abandoned old shool building

Teluk Bahang - don't think there's much there
1) End of the World
2) Spice Garden - unless you're into botany, might be boring
3) Titi Kerawang toward dam... after End Of The World
4) Monkey Beach / Pantai Kerachut
5) Butterfly park
6) Sunset at the mamak stall infront Spice Garden

Penang Bridge
(island side, there's nothing to shoot on seberang side)
1) Under the bridge
2) Police marina
3) Opposite Egate for sunrise shots
4) Outside Queensbay Mall for night view of Penang Bridge

Batu Feringghi - SKIP unless you like the beach and being ripped-off

Balik Pulau
1) Fishing villages - Sungai Burung
2) Sunset at Balik Pulau hill
3) Pantai Pasir Panjang (Kem Bina Negara)
4) Bukit Genting, sunset and bird eyes view of Balik Pulau

Ferry
1) Ferry terminal
2) Marina next to ferry for sunrise shots

Penang Hill
1) First train up 6.30am morning for sunrise shots - stop at mid station to shoot because if you go up all the way, you would have missed the golden moment
2) Night shoot of the city lights below

Citibank - just a refurbished old colonial building
1) Citibank flyover shots
2) Light trials of cars passing below

Batu Maung - actually not much things here
1) War Museum
2) Teluk Tempoyak, fisherman village

Jelutong
Beside Jelutong Expressway facing mainland for sunrise

Add:
Botanic Gardens: underwent massive redevelopment recently
Food: famous asam laksa in Ayer Hitam near the Penang Hill tram station, though hygiene is a bit suspect (operates next/near to a chicken slaughterhouse)
Sister's char keow teow has serious attitude problem - my friend got into an argument with the lady boss - SKIP
Nasi kandar - most famous (and expensive) is Kayu, another you can try is Pelita
Penang Peranakan food - slightly different from SG or Melaka style, there is this good Peranakan restaurant but I can't recall the name...

Last edited:
Assam Laksa? Nowadays I go to Farlim to eat. The Ayer Itam one standard dropped a lot liao since a few years ago... but still very popular. Actually the store is outside the market, at the corner junction of Ayer Itam/Paya Terubong road, nearer to the Kek Loh Si temple walk up than the Penang Hill tram station.
New lane is good place to find lots of food, but I usually go there for deep fried pork intestine porridge and the "yew yu eng chai" - cuttlefish/kangkong in satay sauce. Yes, cendol at Keng Kwee lane is a must when I am there, but if dunno where Keng Kwee lane is, you can find their branch just outside of Komtar if I recall correctly.
Ha Ha... I only go Gurney drive for their rojak at store 77, but some people prefer somewhere else. Have not found any place that is better than it, but a lot are cheaper than it.

Oh and their taxi is still not on meter yet. So you have to make sure you know how much it cost to get from a place to another - Some taxi drivers can do a one day package for you too if you want.

Assam Laksa? Nowadays I go to Farlim to eat. The Ayer Itam one standard dropped a lot liao since a few years ago... but still very popular. Actually the store is outside the market, at the corner junction of Ayer Itam/Paya Terubong road, nearer to the Kek Loh Si temple walk up than the Penang Hill tram station.
New lane is good place to find lots of food, but I usually go there for deep fried pork intestine porridge and the "yew yu eng chai" - cuttlefish/kangkong in satay sauce. Yes, cendol at Keng Kwee lane is a must when I am there, but if dunno where Keng Kwee lane is, you can find their branch just outside of Komtar if I recall correctly.
Ha Ha... I only go Gurney drive for their rojak at store 77, but some people prefer somewhere else. Have not found any place that is better than it, but a lot are cheaper than it.

Oh and their taxi is still not on meter yet. So you have to make sure you know how much it cost to get from a place to another - Some taxi drivers can do a one day package for you too if you want.

How much the taxi's charge ? ( rough guide ?? )

How much the taxi's charge ? ( rough guide ?? )

Erm.. Good question, I have only paid 30RM for a ride from Gurney drive to Paya Terubong. I think the lowest taxi fare is 10RM from Gurney to Pulau Tikus (Near Penang GH). The rest of the time, either my relatives did the driving or I rented a car (business trip, so can rent car).

For airport taxi, airport to ferringhi/tanjong bungah/tokong/Gurney area is the most expensive around 68RM, to Ayar Itam is 45RM.