Travel Talk: France / Paris

Status
Not open for further replies.

rochkoh

Feb 8, 2002
Under your skin
Visit site
Originally posted by rochkoh
Seems like there'll be a number of people going to Paris this Spring/Summer.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23473

lavenderlilz, hyun, etc..

;)

If everything goes as planned, i'll be in Paris in Mid May.

Travel Tips to recommend anyone?

rOCh

how long r u gonna be there for?

one of my friends have been there twice & each time he goes its for about a week & he told me its still not enough. I heard its more interesting than London.

I am looking for reasonably priced hotels.

I will be going in mid-May also! :gbounce: But will only spend about 2 nights in Paris. Free and easy tour. Will be spending more time in Switerzerland.

Get the Paris Visite pass! Save you lots of money! Its valid for a minimum of 3 days and if you don't intend to go outskirts, zones 1-3 covers the major areas in Paris. I was there for 5 days.

Went to
Montmarte - This is where the Sacre Caere is, I think its a Cathedral. Its a hill in Paris. IIRC, Moulin Rouge is around the area as well. Montmarte is the Red Light District of Paris!

Place De La Concorde - There is a obelisk which was a gift from Egypt ages ago. Pretty nice.

Notre Dame Cathedral - The stained glass in here are absolutely BEAUTIFUL!

Lourve Museum - Mona Lisa!

Arc de Triomphe - Get up there at night!

Eiffel Tower - What would a Paris trip without a visit to the Effiel? oh the wind is VERY strong at the topand the platform vibrates alittle, so if you intend to use your tripod be sure to stablise it well. I ruined quite a number shots due to it.

Versailles Palace - This is the summer palace and its in Zone 5. I found the back yard more interesting than the inside though :D

Champs de Elysees - This is the Orchard Road of Paris!

Gallerie La Fayette - The Taka of Paris! :D

Things to eat!
Creme Brulee!!
Crepes! Try the Banana Chocolate ones! YUM!
There is this restaurant called the Hippopotamus. Pretty cheap. 12 Euros for a Deasert and Main course and a drink (wine etc)

Things to beware of!
Gypsy pickpockets - Be VERY VERY careful people! these pick pockets are real pros. I was very lucky that I caught one trying to pick my pocket. My advice is that never never ever put your wallet in your back pocket, put in your jacket or front pocket. Their tactic is to bum rush you with around 5 people, one of them will distract with something (they asked me for the time) while another one will try to pick your pocket. Oh and these are not adults, just young girls! I reckon them to be about 12-14 years old only.

Hope this was of use to you people!

Originally posted by Evilmerlin
Get the Paris Visite pass! Save you lots of money! Its valid for a minimum of 3 days and if you don't intend to go outskirts, zones 1-3 covers the major areas in Paris. I was there for 5 days.

i think that if you do intend to take public transport i would recommend the buses. you get to see more of paris, and the streets. metro stations can be pretty quiet at times (depending on location). the one station where you get off for the sacre coeur is pretty quiet.

me, i walked most of the time. i walked from the latin quarter all the way to galleries lafayette the afternoon i got there. could've walked more if not for the freezing weather conditions ;p at least you get to slowly take in the sights

at the end of it all, my paris visite pass was underutilized
c'est trop cher!:cry:

Went to
Montmarte - This is where the Sacre Caere is, I think its a Cathedral. Its a hill in Paris. IIRC, Moulin Rouge is around the area as well. Montmarte is the Red Light District of Paris!
On a clear day, you should be able to get a bird's eye view paris from the top where the sacre coeur is. Again, mist shrouded most of the could've- been- nice- view

Notre Dame Cathedral - The stained glass in here are absolutely BEAUTIFUL!
i believe that the stained glasses will show up nicely only if the sun is shining from behind it? from my newbie experience at taking stained glass :dunno:

Eiffel Tower - What would a Paris trip without a visit to the Effiel? oh the wind is VERY strong at the topand the platform vibrates alittle, so if you intend to use your tripod be sure to stablise it well. I ruined quite a number shots due to it.
tip : i don't know if this happens only in winter. it was hazy and visibility wasn't good when i was there. 9.90 Euros to see mist and to freeze my butt :p

Things to beware of!
Gypsy pickpockets - Be VERY VERY careful people! these pick pockets are real pros. I was very lucky that I caught one trying to pick my pocket. My advice is that never never ever put your wallet in your back pocket, put in your jacket or front pocket. Their tactic is to bum rush you with around 5 people, one of them will distract with something (they asked me for the time) while another one will try to pick your pocket. Oh and these are not adults, just young girls! I reckon them to be about 12-14 years old only.

yes its very helpful. thank you. :)

as for gypsy pickpockets - they're all over Europe. They tried it on me & my friends in Italy as well! What they'll do is come up to you with a piece of paper for you to take a look at & while you're distracted, one of them would try to pick your pocket! I saw & shouted at them & they would go away.

if you don't mind (and you have yet to book a hotel), you might want to check out any of the motels that are scattered around the Redlight District.

these motels have several interesting things to offer:
- good photo opportunities
> old buildings
> old stairways
> old lifts
> 'breath-taking' views of the RLD at night... :D
> colourful views (overall)
- cheaper cost
- better breakfast coffee and croissants, homemade by the owners themselves, etc.

if travelling by public transport, the bus is the best option to get the real feel of Paris... if you want to, you can try the good old metro... :D station might get reeeeeally quiet at times (esp. stops near Lourve, sacre coeur )... and since they are not that new... :devil: just be alert. walk if you can... try out the berries and fruits from street stalls... cheap and fresh...and while you are at it, have some 'lomo' shots taken!

* Never buy anything from the ppl bugging you to buy toy birds, aeroplanes, etc. under the Eiffel Tower without a BIG Bargain. slash slash slash!!!*

Enjoy your stay!

was not so lucky :(
went to montmarte at night and was pickpocketed; confronted the pickpocket and he "act blur" asif he doesn't know what I'm talking abt.. tried to hold him and ask for help but he pushed me away and ran to a dark alley... dare not give chase in case he has accomplices waiting and there was not many ppl around to help... scarleee lose more than my wallet...
reported police and the police said its very common, had 3 reports in the last 1 hour! in fact, one of the victim was still there and he told us this was her 2nd incident in the last 1 week! :what:
So, yes, the pickpockets are real PROs!
..NuTs..

Went to

Things to beware of!

any1 remembers the facing of notre dame? gotta check a map - plan what time to go when sun is behind the glass ....

The Defence Arch is another landmark you may want to visit, as well as the City of Music and the nearby Science and Industries Centre. Take an early morning walk along the Seine (6.30-7am) especially if it is a clear spring/summer day and you can get lotsa crowd/traffic free picture of the great Parisian urbanscape. Place de la Concorde has all the upper-class shopping and can be very crowded. There is also the Invalides if you are a military buff where you can see all the war stuff you want as well as pay respects at Napolean's tomb. There is also a famous cemetary where all types of famous ppl are buried but I never bothered... there's more than enough old/dead stuff to marvel at in the grand city.

Days are longer during summer so a trip up the E Tower around 8-9pm can give you dramtic sunset shots. Watch out for sudden rain storms though, strong gusts can easily blow away your umbrella/stuff.

Ya the Metro is s*** old and confusing... full of steps so dont expect to many escalators.

Wah too many thing siah... a good guide book from the library can tell you lots more.

Yes, do watch out for pickpockets in Montmarte. I was there last autumn and saw a teenager trying to pickpocket my friend. I shouted and he left but came back a while later to try to pickpocket my friend again as he was discovered the first time round.

/beeryguz

the last time i went to the lourve in may 2000, they were having a strike, which means, admission was free... hah hahah

Originally posted by hyun
any1 remembers the facing of notre dame? gotta check a map - plan what time to go when sun is behind the glass ....
as far as I remember, it is facing toward east.

by the way, seems as everybody like to visit popular "tourist" places instead of going "off course", e.g.: walking beside Seine river, strolling around St. Germain des Pres, etc.
Every tourist come to Paris will likely take a picture of Eiffel tower, but not many may have the artistic picture of life outside those "tourist places".
It is a romantic city of life, not just a parade of old buildings.

Originally posted by kristlbel

On a clear day, you should be able to get a bird's eye view paris from the top where the sacre coeur is. Again, mist shrouded most of the could've- been- nice- view

i believe that the stained glasses will show up nicely only if the sun is shining from behind it? from my newbie experience at taking stained glass :dunno:

Was there in 2000 summer, not that clear, and overcast somemore :(

aaa.jpg

Regards
CK

Oh ya... if you are a student, remember to get your Int'l Student ID card from STA... very useful for student rates and discounts at museums etc. Many museums also have "free entry" days on certain days or half pricing (eg Louvre after 3pm...ok only if you don't plan to spend more time pretending to examine every crack of the Egyptian collection).

Personally speaking, only visit the museums/cathedrals you are truly interested in (eg Parc de Princes, Roland Garros, Stade de France...you may encounter some sports stars practising there :D). The city has so many "free" interesting things to see and do that spending most of your visit indoors is a waste.

Archi buffs may look to the traditional Napoleanic ones and the newer ones like the massive National Library, the Pompidou, the Arab Institute, the new downtown at the Defence Arch, the new Bastille etc. The Seine from the Arab Institute to the Notre Dame has artists and their works on work/sale as well, and provides great human interest pics during the day. Flea mkts may also be interesting where you can find antiques, WW1/2 etc helmets, medals etc... someone's old knik-knaks going for a couple of francs/euros can become an interesting conversation piece in your living room.

Families may consider the EuroDisney day trip as well, which is usually great for kids but a $$$ waster for adults... Versailles is a much better day-trip.

Nighttime photography is great (City of Lights etc) but be more weary for "over-friendly" gypsy-types if away from the public tourist areas, though its not as bad as warmer places like Spain, Turkey or Italy. There are huge numbers of illegal immigrants etc scouring the streets to mug tourists etc... many are from East Europe as well.

Keep your backpack/pouch in front, though the pouch clip will be behind, it is more difficult for a snatch-thief to escape with the loot than if he/she used the slash-fish-n-disappear mtd. A windbreaker/jacket covering your bag etc is a good camouflage and obstacle to a thief on the lookout. A tripod is a dead giveaway so try not to advertise your status as mugging-target too much when of the safer tourist areas. If you or someone in your party has a cheapo P+S, use it when asking a stranger to take your group photo.. easier for the stranger to use and less risk of losing your $$$$ Ultracam.

If you can try the Eurostar... TRY IT!! 3 hrs Paris to London in a 300kph bullet train through French countryside and the Chunnel(Mission Impossible siah). Travelling by train through Europe is highly recommended, especially shiok through the Alps via Switzerland-Austria... machiam Sound of Music :)

Wear comfortable walking shoes or even black/darkbrown sports shoes that can be acceptable when entering good restaurants etc. Walk...you cant take too many good photos from a moving tour bus.

Those on a budget may buy their food from supermkts or the local butchers (cooked food, roast chicken etc) and avoid having to budget for tips as well. (or you can sell out by eating at "Royale-with-Cheese" outlets :D). Having some bars of chocolate and drinking water can also provide some emergency energy should hunger/weakness strike at awkward times.

Travel tip that most guide books don't mention... ear plugs. Your NS-issue ones are good enough and are VERY useful for long flights, train rides etc when you need a good sleep... also if your room-mate/s snore :D

Wah.. sorry if I got too carried away :D

Yeah I was there during Winter. Pretty mild one though but it was still super windy and super cold at the top of the Effiel! My fingers were so cold at times that couldn't hold the cam steady!

Err... nothing about Disneyland? :embrass:

Wanna go France one day too... if got $... will take my daughter to Disneyland for sure.

:Later,

Status
Not open for further replies.