Travel Talk: England / London

Status
Not open for further replies.

rochkoh

Feb 8, 2002
Under your skin
Visit site
Planning for a trip to Europe this Spring/Summar.

About 4 days in England and hope to cover London Central - to cover the usual main attractions, day trips to Stonehenge & Bath, picnics by the English countryside etc. and perhaps even risk the 3 hour train ride up to Manchester or catch Chelsea take on Liverpool on the last day of the EPL! (Stamford Bridge is in London afterall) ;)

Travel Tips anyone?

Places to visit, transport, lodging, photography tips etc..

Mucho appreciateo.

rOCh

One place I will VERY HIGHLY recommend is the lake district. Even if you can spend 2 days there, I feel your trip would have been worth it. I would say drop the London part of your trip and spend it Lake district. Another option could be Scotland - Edinburgh is a really beautiful place. The fare could be very little in the cheap airlines that ply that route. I went to both the above places and loved every minute of it.

Originally posted by rochkoh
About 4 days in England and hope to cover London Central - to cover the usual main attractions, day trips to Stonehenge & Bath, picnics by the English countryside etc.

That's *a lot* to cover in just four days. Especially if you're hoping to take pictures. Honestly, don't be so ambitious and take more time to do less.

If you mention Spring/Summer I assume you mean April. You probably won't be wanting to have a picnic in the English countryside at that time, not unless you fancy coats, fleeces, hats and gloves. It's won't be cold, you just won't want to be sitting out there for 2 hours. Not unless you chance upon a heat wave.

and perhaps even risk the 3 hour train ride up to Manchester or catch Chelsea take on Liverpool on the last day of the EPL! (Stamford Bridge is in London afterall)

I would book your tickets now, assuming you can still get them. As are Arsenal, West Ham, Charlton and Spurs.

Bring high speed film, the light here is terrible and it's generally gloriously overcast. Mind you it's sunny and snowing today!

Places to visit, transport, lodging, photography tips etc..

If you *are* visiting Bath then a trip to the RPS is well worth it. If you are a Nikon user a trip to Gray's of Westminster is well worth it. If you are travelling as a family with kids, and are on a budget, then motorway travel lodges are the best bet, UKP40 or so (cheaper still if you book in advance) for a room for up to 2 adults and 2 children. If you're alone then a B&B represents better value for money, although finding them within London will be messy, but the more touristy the area, the better your chances. If you're driving I'd forget booking places, just take it as you go; *unless* it's a weekend at a touristy spot.

well, just hope the firemen & what have u don't go on strike, and the tubes/trains don't break down!
I've only been to london twice and Jed's "gloriously overcast" is so well put :(

..NuTs..

wah you travelling all over Europe ah? multi-threads by country :)

yah as recommended above, a B&B is an excellent way to reduce costs and escape from the standard hotel environment...close to living with a local-based friend etc. London rates supa ex... another option is the YHAs and YMCAs if bunks are fine with you (backpacker etc)

Football tickets for the big clubs can forget about it but no harm trying... many are season tickets and the general sale ones are usually sold out or reserved for fan clubs etc. Chelsea FC tickets are BY FAR the most ex... better off catching a Westend musical (if that's your stuff too) MUFC are sold out for years so forget about it. (unless you gamble on FA cup semis run etc) Try the smaller ones like Fulham or Milwall :D for avaiable seats and some atmosphere... esp Milwall if you are non-white-working-class :D

London is only picturesque along the tourist spots esp Buckingham Palace, Royal parks, along the Thames... otherwise its a messy poorly planned city (as opposed to Paris) the tube also like entering a bank siah (Mind the Gap :D)

EasyJet provide beri cheap fares (check their website etc)... British Rail notoriously unreliable and complicated... bus fares are good and cheap.

Try Edinburgh and a hop over to Ireland too (not N.Ireland ah:D).

I'm going to London too! But will be there for about 10 days - after Paris.

edinburgh or lake district is probably too far from london for a 4 day trip.

suggest greenwich. interesting and nice place (at least to me). can visit the royal observatory and the naval museum.

don't think you would like to visit highbury, there is a stadium tour on every fri and the last tour is at 1500 hrs.

Wow! That was fast! Thanks to all those who replied.

Maybe, just maybe, this might serve as a reference for those who intend to travel up there. :)

Hey Radix:
Probaby not to lake district. It's my (any my friend's) first time to london. So chances are, i'll setup base camp in London and explore it first. I am aware of Lake District and Scotland and it's picturesque scenary - heck my colleague went there for her honeymoon, it's fabulous. Perhaps i might go there for MY honeymoon. ;) When were you up there by any chance?

Great stuff Jed!
Was actually hoping to hear from you when i posted this. haha..
I'll be there in Mid-late May. How do you fancy my chances of a decent picnic then?
What's the RPS?
Well, i'm a Nikon user.. what's good to get at Gray's? Think Billingham bags would be cheaper? heh heh..
Am currently eyeing a B&B in central london for GBP65 a night for a party of 3 (with attached bathrooms). Think it's a reasonable offer?

Thanks cutter:
Haha.. yeah, planing on a 20something-day trippy up. Italy, Swiz, France and England. Barely enough time i reckon.
Guess i'll need to do more research first. Didn't know Chelsea ticks commanded a premium.
Thinking of a coupla other budget flights.. www.ryanair.com etc. but they're often have weird schedules.

enjoy!
rOCh

Really?? Excellent! When exactly will you be there?? Maybe we can meet up or something. ;) 10 days in London??!! Woah. that'll be quite expensive no?

Planning to go up from 30th April to 20something May - to take full use of the hols in May.

Originally posted by lavenderlilz
I'm going to London too! But will be there for about 10 days - after Paris.

Originally posted by cutter
yah as recommended above, a B&B is an excellent way to reduce costs and escape from the standard hotel environment...

Personally, I'd choose to stay at a B&B over a hotal, regardless of the cost. But they're pricier down south and hard to find in big cities.

close to living with a local-based friend etc. London rates supa ex... another option is the YHAs and YMCAs if bunks are fine with you

I can't speak for London, but in other parts of the country, the amount you save by going to a YH (UKP7-13 a night, depending on where) is really negligible over a B&B (UKP14-26 - again dunno about London. INCLUDING a lovely full English - sausages, bacon, eggs, etc - and more importantly, room to yourself, and generally more security what with camera equipment).

Fulham or Milwall :D for avaiable seats and some atmosphere... esp Milwall if you are non-white-working-class :D

Fulham ain't small anymore these days... And frankly, everything else I agree with, but the Millwall comment troubles me. I hope you were being sarcastic, but Millwall is really probably the worst club to visit in terms of safety, and particularly if you are non-white.

Actually, if you are keen on Fulham, their snapper works for us so I might be able to see if he can pull strings.

EasyJet provide beri cheap fares (check their website etc)... British Rail notoriously unreliable and complicated... bus fares are good and cheap.

EasyJet is cheaper than rail. I would hardly say buses are cheap though. Cheaper maybe, in relative terms. You generally don't want to take a long coach trip, you arrive in worse condition than from on a train.

Try Edinburgh and a hop over to Ireland too (not N.Ireland ah:D).

There're lots of nice places, but like I said, don't try to do too much in four days. I'd take Scotland over the Lakes anyday, but you need to drive. I'd be happy to play tour guide for you (and drive!) if you take the expenses, and assuming I'm not working. Gives me a chance to take some pics too...

Nowt wrong with Northern Ireland either.

Anyway, best of luck with the plans.

Originally posted by rochkoh
Great stuff Jed!
Was actually hoping to hear from you when i posted this. haha..
I'll be there in Mid-late May. How do you fancy my chances of a decent picnic then?

Beats me. It was 18 degrees three days ago and today it's blizzarding all day long...

What's the RPS?

The Royal Photographic Society. Their headquarters are at Bath, and the Octagon galleries there will usually have a decent photographic exhibition in house.

Well, i'm a Nikon user.. what's good to get at Gray's? Think Billingham bags would be cheaper? heh heh..

Nothing. Not unless you're rich. Basically their prices are premium, maybe 10% more than regular UK stores. But drop in, they serve their customers not over the counter, but they sit you down across a table and take the time to show you stuff. They are the only (apparently anyway) shop that only deals in one brand of cameras... guess which. They also carry other things like leatherman tools, etc. They have a good display of Nikon collectables, and might have one or two momento type things that you might consider spending on. But it really is experience more than the shopping. Yeah I believe they carry Billingham as well. They're not far from Victoria station I believe, but I can't be sure which station off hand.

Am currently eyeing a B&B in central london for GBP65 a night for a party of 3 (with attached bathrooms). Think it's a reasonable offer?

Yes, for London that must be. Generally in Scotland budget 14-18 per head, in Lakes budget 18-24 per head, further south, up it goes. Obviously three in one room you should be able to lower the per head cost slightly.

What do you mean by Central London? Bear in mind that London is bigger than Singapore - to get from one end to the other can take more than an hour by direct transport. By car probably a lot longer. And during rush hour, forget car.

Usually like I said I find a B&B and inspect the room because that varies greatly too. But if you advance booking (and in London it's a good idea because you can't just walk along until you find a B&B, unlike in touristy spots where you can walk down a road and find 12...)

Didn't know Chelsea ticks commanded a premium.

In so much as they are the most expensive in the Prem, but I wouldn't worry unduly about it. If you're travelling all this way, we're talking max 5 pounds more per head, which really is peanuts. Compared to regretting not having made the trip. And then paying 1k for another flight back here to do it properly this time. Getting the tickets will be the problem.

Oh yah...factor in the Invasion of Iraq which will probably be Mar... air fares may be cheaper but add at least 4 hrs to your flight as they have to avoid Dubai and the Mid East airspace. Terrorist attack risk at the main tourist spots (esp London) may rise a little but should tend to happen around the start and after the end of the war. Apr-May should be quite safe but increased security measures through Europe may affect opening times etc. If you want to take pics of security personnel, don't be too obvious. If you are of brown skin, don't be surprised but be friendly/cooperative when subject to more suspicious questioning and customs checks by tense/nervous security.

For Venice, check to avoid the seasonal floods that will spoil any visitor's vacation. Film is ex in Europe so bring a reasonable amount. If travelling more by train, the Europass may be useful...check details with STA esp if you are under 27yrs old for student rates...valid for travelling on all types of Euro trains from old RENFE to TGV bullet train.

re Fulham...sure...they are a "big club":D with a "great tradition" and sold-out crowds :D....Milwall are a "family club" with tolerant fans and a "welcome" atmsophere :D...

If cannot find tix.. a visit incl the stadium tours/club shops should be an ok second choice

valid for travelling on all types of Euro trains from old RENFE to TGV bullet train.

Valid yes. But not valid for the entire fare. For the high speed trains like the TGV, you need to still pay a hefty supplement.

Milwall are a "family club" with tolerant fans and a "welcome" atmsophere :D...

Yeah and I've got a family of four. I'm sorry, but this is a club that has banned away fans because they cannot guarantee their security. This is a club with a long history of racist abuse at players, including incidences within the last 12 months.

Originally posted by Jed

Valid yes. But not valid for the entire fare. For the high speed trains like the TGV, you need to still pay a hefty supplement.

Milwall are a "family club" with tolerant fans and a "welcome" atmsophere :D...

Yeah and I've got a family of four. I'm sorry, but this is a club that has banned away fans because they cannot guarantee their security. This is a club with a long history of racist abuse at players, including incidences within the last 12 months.

sheessh... i hope you have more humour than you seem to be showing :( ...if you are taking personal issue with my Fulham jibes (ie you are a Fulham fan), my regrets should a raw nerve be hurt...

re train rates, the only service that I had to pay a supplement for was the Eurostar (in 1997)... the continental high-speed services like the Madrid-Seville were deducted from my Europass without additional payment... Europass is not valid for British Rail too...
though conditions may have changed by now

sheessh... i hope you have more humour than you seem to be showing :( ...if you are taking personal issue with my Fulham jibes (ie you are a Fulham fan), my regrets should a raw nerve be hurt...

No I'm not a Fulham fan at all. No offence taken at all, but I am serious about Millwall.

Originally posted by Jed
, but I am serious about Millwall.

yeh... like the nice-kind Chelsea Headhunters, Lazio Ultras, the Glasgow types :D... all puttin their hands together fer da glory o da Almahty :D

"Shearer Salute! Shearer Salute!" BNP, NF etc zzzz

If you are intending to visit Manchester, you don't have stay long. Nothing much to see here unless you like to go pubbing! :p

Or you could always go to old trafford!

Originally posted by Evilmerlin
Or you could always go to old trafford!

Now why in the world would anyone want to do that? :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

hehe... there's also the new Olympic Oasis (City of Mancester... new home of Massive City FC etc)...Keegleland...massive fun...zzzz

rain or snow...you'd just loov it...just loov it... :bsmilie:

better off paying proper respects at the Palace of the Evil Empire and giving your tribute dues at the Megastore :D... at least the trophy museum has more silverware to look at

Status
Not open for further replies.