Travel Restrictions & Camera Gear

Status
Not open for further replies.

ady

Nov 21, 2004
I'm assuming that flying to the UK and US now... no hand-carry luggage? Anyone flying to these places soon and how are you storing/packing your camera gear to bring along?

ady said:
I'm assuming that flying to the UK and US now... no hand-carry luggage? Anyone flying to these places soon and how are you storing/packing your camera gear to bring along?

You can carry hand-carry baggage for flights terminating in UK. For transit to US, no hand-carry baggage is allowed only hand carry transparent plastic bags :sweat:

When they decide to use the same method on subways, dun think about travelling in the MRT without a transparent barang-barang bag. :)

for flights from singapore to asian countries e.g. thailand, hk, china - is there any restrictions on hand-luggage?

i can't imagine packing my beloved slr and lens in a box and trusting the luggage handlers to take care of them!

tanks to these xtremist bustards can photograpic equipments will be no more be hand carryed on to the pane anymore since the electronic from camera body/flesh can trigger a spark to explore

satch said:
for flights from singapore to asian countries e.g. thailand, hk, china - is there any restrictions on hand-luggage?

i can't imagine packing my beloved slr and lens in a box and trusting the luggage handlers to take care of them!

AReality said:
When they decide to use the same method on subways, dun think about travelling in the MRT without a transparent barang-barang bag. :)

should get Lowepro to redesign their bags already, using transparent PVC, no sponge, use air cushioning, meaning a lighter overall bag... limited super exclusive edition... Helium filled bag...

anybody into making bags? any idea if its feasible? :sweatsm:

So now, we can no longer take pics from the plane's window?
That's quite sad considering that sometimes the view can be very stunning.

kiwitan said:
tanks to these xtremist bustards can photograpic equipments will be no more be hand carryed on to the pane anymore since the electronic from camera body/flesh can trigger a spark to explore

read somewhere that the terrorists were thinking of using the flash from a disposable camera to trigger off the explosives... ...wow...

kiwitan said:

Can we confirm this?

Confirm.
It is in the newspapers today. ST.
The days of hand carrying expensive cameras on flights are over.
You can store camera in luggage.
It can be checked in.
Luggage can and do get lost. Or items stolen. Or sent mistakenly to another country (not the one you are touring).
They are ALWAYS thrown around by fed-up overworked baggage handlers.
If travelling to Indonesia and their customs staff check that you have an extremely expensive camera in the luggage, well you know what is likely to happen.
Don't try putting in your $$$Gold M6 and mint $$$ lenses into checked-in luggage.
From now on bring only extremely cheap and small cameras for tours.

ricohflex said:
Confirm.
It is in the newspapers today. ST.
The days of hand carrying expensive cameras on flights are over.
You can store camera in luggage.
It can be checked in.
Luggage can and do get lost. Or items stolen. Or sent mistakenly to another country (not the one you are touring).
They are ALWAYS thrown around by fed-up overworked baggage handlers.
If travelling to Indonesia and their customs staff check that you have an extremely expensive camera in the luggage, well you know what is likely to happen.
Don't try putting in your $$$Gold M6 and mint $$$ lenses into checked-in luggage.
From now on bring only extremely cheap and small cameras for tours.
Your camera in check in luggage must be able to withstand the freezing teperatures!

Alternatively: buy a new camera everytime you go travelling from the UK to the US :).
Or buy a new camera in the US, and sell before flying back.........or avoid going to the UK at all. Unless, we also can't bring hand carry luggage in other flights???

I think this is all a scam of the camera producers to rigg up camera sales!

HS

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
should get Lowepro to redesign their bags already, using transparent PVC, no sponge, use air cushioning, meaning a lighter overall bag... limited super exclusive edition... Helium filled bag...

anybody into making bags? any idea if its feasible? :sweatsm:

Doesnt matter, you would have to make all cameras and camera equipment transparent aswell.

trd2970 said:
read somewhere that the terrorists were thinking of using the flash from a disposable camera to trigger off the explosives... ...wow...

Nope, they were going to conceal 2 liquids in beverages that when mixed together make an explosive. The detenator was hidden in an electrical device such as an ipod or handphone.

hongsien said:
Your camera in check in luggage must be able to withstand the freezing teperatures!

Alternatively: buy a new camera everytime you go travelling from the UK to the US :).
Or buy a new camera in the US, and sell before flying back.........or avoid going to the UK at all. Unless, we also can't bring hand carry luggage in other flights???

I think this is all a scam of the camera producers to rigg up camera sales!

HS
If this level of alert sustains till the IMF/WB event to be hosted here nxt mth, there will be thousands of overseas visitors and journalists who will be in dire need of photographic equipment. Rental business eh, and perhaps they can outsource their photograhic needs to us! Anyone enterprising and resourceful enough to organise a consortium? Someone with contact with foreign press will be ideal.

Argh.... super duper bad news....I'm going Scotland n Sweden in Oct... confirm cannot hand carry my precious camera...dun feel safe to store camera in check in...

OMG!!! I want to take photos!!! Bloody terrorists... :cry:

hASHbrown_kopitiam said:
Argh.... super duper bad news....I'm going Scotland n Sweden in Oct... confirm cannot hand carry my precious camera...dun feel safe to store camera in check in...

OMG!!! I want to take photos!!! Bloody terrorists... :cry:
sling it around your neck and board the flight lor...dun even need bag..=)

+evenstar said:
sling it around your neck and board the flight lor...dun even need bag..=)

wat was mentioned was: u can only bring along ur barest essentials i.e. wallet & passport, and of course ur clothings. thats all. period.

camera sling on ur neck? not allowed

Gentlemen... no more taking pics out the air craft window... please fasten your safety belt & hope there is inflight entertainment... oh ya... did u check in your mobile phone, ipod, and laptop, otherwise we have to handcuff u all the way to the destination...

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
Gentlemen... no more taking pics out the air craft window... please fasten your safety belt & hope there is inflight entertainment... oh ya... did u check in your mobile phone, ipod, and laptop, otherwise we have to handcuff u all the way to the destination...

Nope, they will refuse you entry to the plane if you will not check such items in, IIRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.