erictan8888

Nov 9, 2004
Singapore
hi,

like to ask:

for travel portrait shots of your family or friends, do you all prefer :

1. shoot at wide open to get good bokeh

or

2. shoot with small aperature to show a bit of the background so that the location is known?

what is the f stop you all prefer ?

hi,

like to ask:

for travel portrait shots of your family or friends, do you all prefer :

or

2. shoot with small aperature to show a bit of the background so that the location is known?

what is the f stop you all prefer ?

I always shoot wide. later crop the pic i want in pp. For me when travelling, i dont give a damn about bokeh as long the people are sharp and clear.

as long as can get sharp enough pictures, any aperture is fine.

For wide angle...F2.8 and F4 background is much of the difference but you may get soft pic.

The pictures taken by 28mm F1.4 or the new 24mm TS lens will have some nice bokeh. if you know how to play with it.

Last edited:
so you all want the people to be clear and dun care about the background ?

then you won't where the pic is taken?
like you stand in front of effiel tower, you surely want the effiel tower to be seen also?
or do you all take wide open and achieve nice bokeh with effiel tower not even clearly visible?

like to know preference of users here.... thanks :)

so you all want the people to be clear and dun care about the background ?

then you won't where the pic is taken?
like you stand in front of effiel tower, you surely want the effiel tower to be seen also?
or do you all take wide open and achieve nice bokeh with effiel tower not even clearly visible?

like to know preference of users here.... thanks :)
Depends on your focal length...

Go to other photo sites and take a look @ their images, you can find their settings and learn from there. nothing tell more then a picture.

Don't care about the background when taking travel photos? You might as well as your frens go take neo prints together, then you no need to bring your camera so troublesome.

For travelling streets / candids, the answer is what you want to present out of that particular shot. For me sometimes I want subject isolation, sometimes I need the background to bring out a particular subject.

And as for taking pictures of ourselves during travelling, i would of course want the details behind.

Ryan

Depends... for location shots, yes... give it more DOF.

Else, can open up more.

my personal take: aperture should be enough so that the people are sharp & remain the focus of the photo, & the eiffel tower a little bokeh-ed but still discernable. :)

i dont give a damn about bokeh as long the people are sharp and clear.

my personal take: aperture should be enough so that the people are sharp & remain the focus of the photo, & the eiffel tower a little bokeh-ed but still discernable. :)

Strictly speaking you are all referring to the out of focus areas. The term bokeh is a judgement of the esthetical quality of the blur - be it good or bad. But for out of focus - more in focus or less in focus.

Ryan

Hmmm... After spending so much $$$ traveling, definitely like to show a sharp background to "prove" that me and my family had been there :) Anyway, always been traveling with my P&S cam, next month will be the first time I am on vacation with a DSLR..... Maybe bring along a dozen of SD cards and shoot both wide open and small aperture to be kiasu abit... Just hope that the rest of the members in the tour group will not scream at me.....

Maybe I can program the 450D to fire two shots (with big and small aperture) at one go... Hmmm... will read the manual tonite to check it out :)

Maybe I can program the 450D to fire two shots (with big and small aperture) at one go... Hmmm... will read the manual tonite to check it out :)

haha... i am pretty sure cannot la.... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.