Travel Photos. To be in or not to be in?

To be or not to be in? [Anonymous Poll]

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsbn

Jul 24, 2002
Planet Eropagnis
This question had been brought up again and again. Especially from ppl who had viewed my travel photos...

To some ppl, they feel that a place (or event) is not complete until they can see their own faces in the photo of a location. Like a record shot that, "I've been there."

What do u believe in where the topic of ur existence in travel photos are concerned?

jsbn said:
This question had been brought up again and again. Especially from ppl who had viewed my travel photos...

To some ppl, they feel that a place (or event) is not complete until they can see their own faces in the photo of a location. Like a record shot that, "I've been there."

What do u believe in where the topic of ur existence in travel photos are concerned?

Some time i feel the existence on certain shot is an excess and damage the outcome of a quality shot..
I don't think i need to prove to anyone whether i am there or not, my memories will tell me that.

The above are just my pov.:p

ortega said:
they are not the same

landscapes, cityscapes & fun travel snaps

it depends on what you want.
Hmm.... let's see. Assuming its just a backpacking tour?

soma said:
Some time i feel the existence on certain shot is an excess and damage the outcome of a quality shot..
I don't think i need to prove to anyone whether i am there or not, my memories will tell me that.

The above are just my pov.:p
Ah well, and I thought I'm the only weird guy around, especially at least 10 ppl had told me that they dun see my face appearing on my past travel photos. ;p

Its always nice to see another chap who shares ur thoughts. :)

I think the two are both valid.

If it is to be a record, then sure, it's good to have the person in there. That's not to say that the photo can't be nicely and artistically done as well.

If your subject is purely the building or mountain or whatever, then the person will be a distraction.

I find the problem in travel photos when you take it without the person traveling in it, it tends to just become another perfect postcard picture. And although it may be technically perfect and beautiful, you could put it anywhere and it could be anyone's photos I guess. These types of photos are easier to take when you are traveling alone or when photography is your main intention of your trip and not sightseeing.

But if you are traveling with family and all that, then I think it's essential to have people in there to record that these are the people with you and this is an experience you shared together.

When I travel, I take both these types of photos. I don't think they are mutually exclusive. And the people I travel with who are not interested in photography tolerate my hobby and give me a few minutes to take shots without them in it.

I usually like to stay behind the viewfinder. Spoils the shots otherwise. :bsmilie:

But that said, I will take a few shots with me inside, kinda like a record as jsbn said.

joteo said:
I think the two are both valid.

If it is to be a record, then sure, it's good to have the person in there. That's not to say that the photo can't be nicely and artistically done as well.

If your subject is purely the building or mountain or whatever, then the person will be a distraction.

I find the problem in travel photos when you take it without the person traveling in it, it tends to just become another perfect postcard picture. And although it may be technically perfect and beautiful, you could put it anywhere and it could be anyone's photos I guess. These types of photos are easier to take when you are traveling alone or when photography is your main intention of your trip and not sightseeing.

But if you are traveling with family and all that, then I think it's essential to have people in there to record that these are the people with you and this is an experience you shared together.

When I travel, I take both these types of photos. I don't think they are mutually exclusive. And the people I travel with who are not interested in photography tolerate my hobby and give me a few minutes to take shots without them in it.
Hmm.... u have a point there. But what happens when u're not really photogenic? Record shots or not, u prolly 'just don't like to take photos' (that's why we are taking photos of others?).

I think more than 95% of my travel photo don't have me inside. If I was in one of the photo, usually I will take one withot me also.

The photo with me inside is just a record of I have been there, and how I look like at that time, as I seldom take photo of myself or being taken usually.
I do take more of others photo usually.

philliptan said:
I usually like to stay behind the viewfinder. Spoils the shots otherwise. :bsmilie:

But that said, I will take a few shots with me inside, kinda like a record as jsbn said.
Juz reviewed my Sydney trip photos, I did not appear in any photos! :eek:

5 whole days I'm behind the viewfinder instead of in front of the lens. Am I abnormal?

I am too ugly to be in the pictures, most likely will spoil them, so I stay out:)

Deadpoet said:
I am too ugly to be in the pictures, most likely will spoil them, so I stay out:)
I dun recall seeing dashing photographers. Myself inclusive. U're saying? :D

Yup

wat i always do is take 1 pic of myself in the scenery then after tat shoot with watever style/composition u wan the scenery to take, without me in it of course. tat way i have 1 photo to show to the people who keep askin where's my travel photos and yet have tonnes others to satisfy my 'artistic' needs.

Usually if i backpack alone, i would mount my camera on my tripod, shoot myself with timer.. Or mount a wide angle and hold it right in front of me with stretched out arms and snap.. Pictures like these i wouldn't put in my nice nice album.

But i will print out and frame it inside my room though ;p To me some pictures are memorable, like me first time playing snow, etc.. Great for some slideshow with families and friends over some coffee, sort of tell them 'what i do there'. haha!

if all the photos dun have faces, dun worry, can use software to add in later

Status
Not open for further replies.