travel photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

leemunch

Jun 14, 2006
How to take those pictures where the subject person and background landscape are both in focus? Can this be achieved thru' DOF or thru' focussing at infinity? What other methods do you guys use?

What suggested lens are most appropriate for this type of shots?

Thanks!

leemunch said:
How to take those pictures where the subject person and background landscape are both in focus? Can this be achieved thru' DOF or thru' focussing at infinity? What other methods do you guys use?

What suggested lens are most appropriate for this type of shots?

Thanks!
If you use Canon, you can set mode to A-depth. I am not sure about the correct operation. Better someone with Canon to explain it.

You can try hyperfocal to maximize DOF. It is depends on lens Focal Length, Lens Aperture and Camera's COC. You can ignore Camera's COC first.

If you have prime lens, usually there is an index for maximize DOF based on aperture number.

Wide Angle lens should be good for it.

Regards,
Arto.

Use a wide angle lens to keep the background in focus. The wider the lens the bigger the depth of field for a given aperture and distance. If u want to keep the background out of focus use a telephoto lens.
http://singaporephoto.blogspot.com

Use a smaller aperture, preferably f11 or smaller if the light allows... ask you subject to back up a bit...

Though if your lens have a DOF scale, that'd work too! :p

Focusing @ infinity may not work as your subject maybe closer than hyperfocal, and I think it's always better to have slightly blurred background than slightly blurred subjects, no? :)

Previous poster is correct that wide angle lenses may help to reduce the problem as the hyperfocal distance will be shorter than a long lens, i.e. your subject don't have to back up THAT much...

However, DOF preview may not be very effective cos as small apertures you will be straining hard to see what's in focus and what's not...

Status
Not open for further replies.