Travel Photo Backup

Kirika

Aug 18, 2007
I've been thinking about photo backups on the go (assuming no wireless capabilities). My usual solution is a laptop and portable harddisks, but am wondering at the practicality of other mobile devices as the go-through for backing up large amounts of data from the SD card to the HDD. Do any of you use Android smartphones or iPads to do the same? Feel free to post here =p

Hi i think there have been many times this was asked already maybe you can look older threads

Posted in another thread, reposting here:

BTW, while on site are there any portable device that I can back up directly from the SD Card (I know we'd still have to take the card out of the BMPCC). Assuming I do not carry a laptop with me?

Recently read about a Western Digital portable HDD with built-in SD card slot, sounds interesting:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=1330

Western Digital has launched a new wireless-enabled hard drive that uniquely features a built-in SD card reader. The My Passport Wireless might be coming to the market after other wireless options like the LaCie Fuel drive, but it’s the inclusion of the SD card reader that makes this product of particular interest to photographers.

When a memory card is inserted into the drive it can be set back up your photos or automatically ingest all images, then wipe the card clean afterwards. To view your images you can either connect the drive to a computer using USB3, or you can connect to it wirelessly using the free WD My Cloud mobile app. For photographers looking to travel light, this could be an excellent way to manage your photos on the road without needing to bring a laptop.

The drive runs on an internal battery that reportedly provides 6 hours of video streaming and up to 20 hours of standby time and also features FTP functionality to allow wireless-enabled cameras to send photos directly to the drive whilst shooting. If you are working with a team of photographers and editors, up to 8 people can connect to the drive simultaneously to access the content.

The My Passport Wireless drive will be available in late September, priced at $129.99 for 500GB, $179.99 for 1 TB and $219.99 for 2 TB. The supporting WD My Cloud mobile app is available for free from the iOS App Store and the Google Play store.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/62...eless-hard-drive-with-built-in-sd-card-reader

reviews:
http://www.slrlounge.com/western-digital-passport-wireless-1tb-full-review/
http://www.thephoblographer.com/2014/09/30/review-western-digital-passport-wireless-1tb/

Kandinsky,

Thanks for sharing this My Passport Wireless, product.

EisMann

Kirika,

What is your concern of backing up? Are you afraid of loosing the images or the troublesome of bringing extra SD cards?

If it is because of troublesome of bring extra SD cards, think of it again.

Long time ago not far away, photographers used rolls of films to shoot. One roll contained 36 images or 37 if you could squeeze in one during the loading. 10 rolls only about 360 shots assuming none spoilt either being overexposed during the loading or unloading (or worst, never loaded properly!). Each protective container is about dia 30x50mm long.

If you go to a remote field trip; depending on the number of shots you prepare to take, imagine the space allocated to keep these film canisters.

The concern you should worry now, is how to replenish the camera's battery juice on the go.

EisMann

Kirika,

What is your concern of backing up? Are you afraid of loosing the images or the troublesome of bringing extra SD cards?

If it is because of troublesome of bring extra SD cards, think of it again.

Long time ago not far away, photographers used rolls of films to shoot. One roll contained 36 images or 37 if you could squeeze in one during the loading. 10 rolls only about 360 shots assuming none spoilt either being overexposed during the loading or unloading (or worst, never loaded properly!). Each protective container is about dia 30x50mm long.

If you go to a remote field trip; depending on the number of shots you prepare to take, imagine the space allocated to keep these film canisters.

The concern you should worry now, is how to replenish the camera's battery juice on the go.

EisMann

Long time ago things are like that, doesn't mean things should be done like that in the 21st century.

If we keep looking at the past, we will never work out a better future.

I've been thinking about photo backups on the go (assuming no wireless capabilities). My usual solution is a laptop and portable harddisks, but am wondering at the practicality of other mobile devices as the go-through for backing up large amounts of data from the SD card to the HDD. Do any of you use Android smartphones or iPads to do the same? Feel free to post here =p

Unfortunately I ran into reliability issues having my android nexus tablet to do otg file copy from CF card to a powered portable hard disk, the connection is too flaky for my taste. I do not have iPad/Iphones so I have no idea if it can be done as such.

The other workaround would be again a very small ultrabook or a pricier tablet such as the Surface Pro to to connect and transfer and hence not restricting to FAT32 format.

Offhand other compact portable media storage options include Nexto and Colorspace products

Ryan

Unfortunately I ran into reliability issues having my android nexus tablet to do otg file copy from CF card to a powered portable hard disk, the connection is too flaky for my taste. I do not have iPad/Iphones so I have no idea if it can be done as such.

The other workaround would be again a very small ultrabook or a pricier tablet such as the Surface Pro to to connect and transfer and hence not restricting to FAT32 format.

Offhand other compact portable media storage options include Nexto and Colorspace products

Ryan

Did you use a reputable powered hub, like those from belkin or vantec? Typically a flaky connection is due to the hub.

Long time ago things are like that, doesn't mean things should be done like that in the 21st century.

If we keep looking at the past, we will never work out a better future.

On this topic, I recently read about photographers who treat reusable media like traditional media. E.g., They use new CF/SD cards only once. Once the card is full, it doesn't get formatted or reused. They archive and store it as it is, thinking of it as traditional negatives. Thought it was quite interesting (and amusing). I suppose for photographers who come from a film workflow, cards are inexpensive enough to be used like this, and if it helps them avoid dreaded card corruption errors and serve as an additional backup, all the better.

Last edited:
Did you use a reputable powered hub, like those from belkin or vantec? Typically a flaky connection is due to the hub.

I did it sometime back.

The CF reader/powered portable ssd harddisk setup worked flawlessly with my ( stock ) Samsung Note 2 and the native file explorer. The file transfer was however not the fastest. ( not sure but perhaps because Note 2 was not using microUSB 3.0 )
My Nexus 5 tablet refused to work despite purchasing and running Nexus Media Importer.
I tried on my friend's stock Xiaomi Note and it could only detect one device at a time - which turned out to be useless for a file transfer between media storages.

Anyhow I got myself a Samsung Chromebook 2 for my upcoming holiday to do just that at the end of the day.

Ryan

Anyone still active on this thread?

Im looking for solution as per the TS.

Can i check whether i can use a USBport on a nexus 7 to transfer files from sd card to HDD?

Anyone still active on this thread?

Im looking for solution as per the TS.

Can i check whether i can use a USBport on a nexus 7 to transfer files from sd card to HDD?

Nexus media importer is the way to go, but u need to pay US$4.98 for that app.

I store my pictures on two sd cards (1*64GB and 1*32GB), my laptop and a portable hdd (1GB). After every shooting session I store them on my portable hdd and laptop. On the laptop I decide which want I want to keep for processing or remove :)

And for Instagram I upload them on Google Drive and can post it via my iPhone :)

Raspberry pi and external hd + card reader also a way out if u know how to configure them to work for u , or this verbatim wireless share + hd if u not using CF card works well for me . : )

There is new external portable HDD from Western Digital Wi-Fi Mobile Storage My Passport Wireless:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=1330#Tab2

Built-in SD card slot, Rechargeable battery, Wirelessly connect with your mobile devices, possible alternative for traveling.

There is new external portable HDD from Western Digital Wi-Fi Mobile Storage My Passport Wireless:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=1330#Tab2

Built-in SD card slot, Rechargeable battery, Wirelessly connect with your mobile devices, possible alternative for traveling.

Does this HDD support SDXC cards? Up to the size of 128GB?

I believe it can, but you can visit Western Digital website for more information.