Travel : Lens & other issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Learn2Photo

Sep 26, 2006
Helo, newbies here

Just like to know what are the typical lens that are most suitable for travel photography. Like taking pics for scenery and people. Also, what are the various thing to watch out for?

For Nikon DSLR, general advice is AF-S VR 18-200 lens

Well, hehe, I just got my D40. ;p

Well, hehe, I just got my D40. ;p
Use your kit lens for general photography and get a 50mm f1.8 prime lens for low lighting photography like portrait or candid. Once you are ready, you can upgrade your kit lens to a better lens like 17-55mm f2.8.

Use your existing len setup and know their limits. Also get extra battery and memory for travelling. The usual advice prevails. Do your research firsts on the place you travel to and plan your trip according to what you wish to capture on photos.

You don't need expensive and better lenses. Those just make it easier to capture the image you want. You might want to consider a wide angle lens though for landscape photography, but then it depends again on what you want to capture.

Lastly, but not least, learn to use your D40.

Thanks for all the help and ans to newbies like me !

I'm really on budget and also wanted to travel light. I always pondering on this, is the the D40 + the kit lens (18-55mm) enough to take photos on scenery and people ?

i use full frame, so i will bring a 28-70 F2.8 standard zoom and two prime (one 50/85mm F1.4-F1.2 for low light; one 400/5.6 for long focus):)

I'm really on budget and also wanted to travel light. I always pondering on this, is the the D40 + the kit lens (18-55mm) enough to take photos on scenery and people ?

i also 1 2 noe , mi also using kit lens. hehe ... going 2 hainan daoz :p

Looking at the amount of "newbies" thread over here, not sure to thank or say "pei fu" "pei fu"..

I guess nothing is impossible, no money ? then have to use yr initiative to make full use of yr equipment.

I have a D50 with kit lens. I usally take photos with the kit lens most of the time, although I do use the Tokina 12-24mm f/4 for landscape and wide angle shots. When I need the extra distance I use my Nikon 70-300mm G lens. That said, the 18-55mm is usually sufficient for me most of the time. When I don't feel like changing lens (or is not possible to do so), I move my position so that I could include the composition I want. Sometimes, I will also shoot and crop later, if it helps with the composition.

Personally, I don't think you can ever travel light with DSLR, what with the extra gears like batteries, flash, portable storage, etc...;) Get a good bag. I use a belt pack for easy access.

But please, I am only an amatuer, not a professional travel photographer. I just like to take photos when i travel.

If you are on abudget, then make do with what you have. I still do.

Yes.. if you've even used a point and shoot camera before, the 18-55mm is like a 3x zoom. If that was sufficient, this should be sufficient. Yes, there would be some far away things that are hard to reach but it is still sufficient for you to learn the camera. Work more on your framing than being concerned with getting far away things up close. If you need them close, then move closer to shoot those. You will start to learn to see things from different angles if you let you legs do a bit of work.

blive..thanks for sharing the experience. It's quite useful from person who travel...

isisaxon, thanks for the advice, i guess the entry dSLR is good enough for general purpose usage. Most people just lacked of the "eye" to compose good pics, me including.:dunno:

I have a D50 with kit lens. I usally take photos with the kit lens most of the time, although I do use the Tokina 12-24mm f/4 for landscape and wide angle shots. When I need the extra distance I use my Nikon 70-300mm G lens. That said, the 18-55mm is usually sufficient for me most of the time. When I don't feel like changing lens (or is not possible to do so), I move my position so that I could include the composition I want. Sometimes, I will also shoot and crop later, if it helps with the composition.

Personally, I don't think you can ever travel light with DSLR, what with the extra gears like batteries, flash, portable storage, etc...;) Get a good bag. I use a belt pack for easy access.

But please, I am only an amatuer, not a professional travel photographer. I just like to take photos when i travel.

If you are on abudget, then make do with what you have. I still do.

blive..thanks for sharing the experience. It's quite useful from person who travel...

isisaxon, thanks for the advice, i guess the entry dSLR is good enough for general purpose usage. Most people just lacked of the "eye" to compose good pics, me including.:dunno:
It's not lack the eye.. it's just lack of exposure. You will need to learn to appreciate art first before you can create an artpiece. You can start with some guidelines like rules of third, vanishing point, using a path that leads to your subject etc.. but after a while you will develop an eye for compositions that invoke your senses.

In the film days, we will use our fingers to crop out the scene first to see if it's worth shooting. In digital days, people tend to shoot first evaluate later. I think the film way is still right because before you shoot, you can still move yourself and find the most pleasing perspective for your shot because you're still able to see in 3D. Once you have taken the shot, everything collapses to 2D and there is nothing else you can change.

yes, definitely.

Helo, newbies here

Just like to know what are the typical lens that are most suitable for travel photography. Like taking pics for scenery and people. Also, what are the various thing to watch out for?

you can take a read in the travel thread in my signature.

3 key point
1. weight
2. focal length range and expectation
3. no. of lens and how you carry them or change them

Status
Not open for further replies.