travel insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

fz30_user

May 5, 2006
Hi Guys,

Is there a travel insurance that covers the excess damage for rental cars. Usually excess is 1000$. Or I better get the insurance offered by the rental company (10-15$ per day)?.

Thanks.

Hi Guys,

Is there a travel insurance that covers the excess damage for rental cars. Usually excess is 1000$. Or I better get the insurance offered by the rental company (10-15$ per day)?.

Thanks.

Yes there is.Provide your proof and submit to your own insurance company. ;)

fz30_user,
Hope you don't mind if I OT a bit.

Who provide a good travel insurance package?

fz30_user,
Hope you don't mind if I OT a bit.

Who provide a good travel insurance package?

so far i've tested AIG before.. got an accident in Australia and they took care of us very well then claiming was easy. But this was before AIG went into meltdown. another one was when my baggage got delayed for 3 days. they paid the maximum amount ($1k) with not much hassle. after that i wish my baggage always gets delayed ;)

after some research the best i've seen that offer highest coverage on excess for car rental is AXA. they cover up to 1000$. not sure how good is AXA though. if someone can give some insight please.

so far i've tested AIG before.. got an accident in Australia and they took care of us very well then claiming was easy. But this was before AIG went into meltdown. another one was when my baggage got delayed for 3 days. they paid the maximum amount ($1k) with not much hassle. after that i wish my baggage always gets delayed ;)

after some research the best i've seen that offer highest coverage on excess for car rental is AXA. they cover up to 1000$. not sure how good is AXA though. if someone can give some insight please.
That's what I told my travelmate as well. Hoping our flight or luggage being delayed. LoL

just checking...
how to claim ah...
im on travel right now... covered by AIG travel insurance...
my luggage is broken.. the metal bar for pulling one is broken and lost...
when can i claim? end of my travel when im back in singapore? then how? show the photo of the luggage?
sorry for OT >_<

I remember at the Airport there is a room where you go to make a claim, last time they just give you the money based on your estimates of what your luggage cost, but recently I think they repair your luggage for you. I think it is cost saving measures, lah, but they do a good job seems like they have spare parts from many luggage makes.

../azul123

but i thought we should go for the lowest excess ?

correct me if i'm wrong, but excess mean that they will pay for anything above that amount ? e.g. if you excess is $1000, and the damage is $1500, you pay $1000, they pay $500... no ?

Last edited:

correct me if i'm wrong, but excess mean that they will pay for anything above that amount ? e.g. if you excess is $1000, and the damage is $1500, you pay $1000, they pay $500... no ?
Not for luggage no lah.. But it's been a long time, so I forgot actually how the procedure is, but I did remember I go to a room at the Airport and they sent me to a repair shop downtown CBD I think in Marina or somewhere around there lah.

For luggage depending on the damage they repair it lah..

../azul123

Last edited:
I personally find travel insurance a waste of money. In my view (which may be disagreed by others); insurance should only be taken out for losses which are too large to bear personally; for example death insurance, or hospitalisation or the like; or maybe for some, motor insurance.

Losses like travel insurance (loss baggage etc) is such a small loss that can easily be borned personally. Over time, the premiums paid can add up to quite a bit.

But I guess some still prefer to go for it for a perceived peace of mind.

I personally find travel insurance a waste of money. In my view (which may be disagreed by others); insurance should only be taken out for losses which are too large to bear personally; for example death insurance, or hospitalisation or the like; or maybe for some, motor insurance.

Losses like travel insurance (loss baggage etc) is such a small loss that can easily be borned personally. Over time, the premiums paid can add up to quite a bit.

Yes, certainly I feel most of us who take up travel insurance do not buy it so that we can claim that $100-200 worth of luggage repair. It is almost always in case of those major emergencies like air evacuation back home, hospitalisation overseas, medical treatment and such.
Thus it is for that sole purpose that I beg to differ from your view. It is a waste of money if you never use it. But the peace of mind is - priceless.
My humble opinion.

Better be safe then sorry. We went to KK hike and one of hiking mate were admitted to hospital and being quarantined due to suspected H1N1.

The 1st question I ask him, got buy personal insurance a not? Answer NO. So, expenses on the admission is bear by himself.

Travel insurance is good when you facing some medical problem and being admitted to hospital. If you are in critical condition and you want to being treated in Singapore, you can request for evacuation back to SG, of course accompany by doctor and nurse. All this would be beared by the insurance company. Of course, it is all depends doctor recommendation whether to follow you back

Last edited:
i usually think that insurance is useless as well,
the problem is for us non-singaporean to go europe we need to apply a schengen visa,
and one of the requirement is to have insurance. so now that i already have insurance, and my luggage is broken? can i claim?
or not? if can.. how?
hehehe...

I guess then the risk will need to be considered against the cost. I can probably understand the evacuation bit; but how much would an evac like that cost? Unless you are travelling into particularly risky territories, do you also have similar insurance when you're in Singapore?

Also, the thing about travel insurace (at least what I've seen) don't seem to talk much about these major emergencies, and focus more on those lost baggage, flight delay type things to sell.

Yes, certainly I feel most of us who take up travel insurance do not buy it so that we can claim that $100-200 worth of luggage repair. It is almost always in case of those major emergencies like air evacuation back home, hospitalisation overseas, medical treatment and such.
Thus it is for that sole purpose that I beg to differ from your view. It is a waste of money if you never use it. But the peace of mind is - priceless.
My humble opinion.

Better be safe then sorry. We went to KK hike and one of hiking mate were admitted to hospital and being quarantined due to suspected H1N1.

The 1st question I ask him, got buy personal insurance a not? Answer NO. So, expenses on the admission is bear by himself.

Travel insurance is good when you facing some medical problem and being admitted to hospital. If you are in critical condition and you want to being treated in Singapore, you can request for evacuation back to SG, of course accompany by doctor and nurse. All this would be beared by the insurance company. Of course, it is all depends doctor recommendation whether to follow you back

I guess then the risk will need to be considered against the cost. I can probably understand the evacuation bit; but how much would an evac like that cost? Unless you are travelling into particularly risky territories, do you also have similar insurance when you're in Singapore?

Also, the thing about travel insurace (at least what I've seen) don't seem to talk much about these major emergencies, and focus more on those lost baggage, flight delay type things to sell.

Well, it is a valid and good point that you have raised about the medical evacuation part.
A typical medical evacuation would involved chartering a medically equipped plane for around S$20,000- $30,000. In addition to that, one would also need a Doctor on board together with a qualified nurse, both of whom will be paid on an hourly basis. Not to mention medication, resuscitation equipment - e.g. if patient is on IV drips, and is connected to a respirator during the flight... etc. etc..
These are nightmares that one would never ever wish to encounter. But these come at hefty prices. And if I may respectfully add in, nightmares such as these are independent of destinations, high risk or low risk.

Thankfully back home in Singapore, if anyone should need any of these, the A&E's are within reasonable access, and the personal critical illness insurance and life policies would kick in by then.

I believe lost baggages, delays are just part of the policies that are immediately more tangible to most customers and perhaps that is the reason why insurance companies do highlight them. But all travel insurance list medical evacuation as one of their highest priorities, if we study their payouts in detail.

Last edited:
Hmm in that case, if you were travelling to a major city, say London, Taipei, Tokyo, do you think that travel insurance is still necessary given that the need for such evacuation would probably be reduced?

Well, it is a valid and good point that you have raised about the medical evacuation part.
A typical medical evacuation would involved chartering a medically equipped plane for around S$20,000- $30,000. In addition to that, one would also need a Doctor on board together with a qualified nurse, both of whom will be paid on an hourly basis. Not to mention medication, resuscitation equipment - e.g. if patient is on IV drips, and is connected to a respirator during the flight... etc. etc..
These are nightmares that one would never ever wish to encounter. But these come at hefty prices. And if I may respectfully add in, nightmares such as these are independent of destinations, high risk or low risk.

Thankfully back home in Singapore, if anyone should need any of these, the A&E's are within reasonable access, and the personal critical illness insurance and life policies would kick in by then.

I believe lost baggages, delays are just part of the policies that are immediately more tangible to most customers and perhaps that is the reason why insurance companies do highlight them. But all travel insurance list medical evacuation as one of their highest priorities, if we study their payouts in detail.

hmmm.. thanks for pointing this out! i have to check this. i thought they will pay for the $1k.

as a visitor in another country, if you need to go to the A&E there, it will be very very costly

if your luggage suddenly decided to fly somewhere else
you can safely buy yourself new clothes

btw i do not sell insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.