travel insurance that covers camera equipment

carocaro

Feb 17, 2009
Can anyone recommend a travel insurance policy that would cover around $2000-$2500 of camera equipment if stolen? I am going to Cambodia. The policies I have looked at so far (HSBC and DBS) both include a limit of $500 for any one item.
Thanks

What a concidence... I am going to Siem Reap next week with another Cser. Are you going there too?

Maybe you can try AIG Assist. I am getting the Premium insurance option.

Best of regards.

I got the premium insurance option from Liberty Insurance Pte Ltd.

Liekwise, it also cover up to SGD500 per item but up to 10 items :)

tenet insurance...

camera and video equipment is $1000/item.

if really damage or loss, file ur body and lens seperately... =)

that's the only insurer that offers a seperate... the rest has a sublimit of $500.

contact me if u need help on that insurance policy. =)

I just paid S$49.50 in cash payment (discount promo) for my Premium insurance (within ASEAN: 1 - 6 days worth S$55) from Travel Guard (Chartis) - approved and supported by the National Association of Travel Agents Singapore (NATAS)... if pay by any credit cards then it will be S$33 (also discount promo)... at MISA Travel agency in Hong Lim Complex @ http://www.airfares.com.sg/travel_insurance/insurance_index.htm

Hopefully they will cover my gears - 1 DSLR and 2 Pro-DSLRs..

"Section 23. Personal Baggage including Laptop Computer: Cover loss or damage to baggage, clothing, personal effects, laptop computer (maximum S$500 for any one article or pair or set of articles. Maximum for laptop computer is S$1000)."

Last edited:
I just paid S$49.50 in cash payment (discount promo) for my Premium insurance (within ASEAN: 1 - 6 days worth S$55) from Travel Guard (Chartis) - approved and supported by the National Association of Travel Agents Singapore (NATAS)... if pay by any credit cards then it will be S$33 (also discount promo)... at MISA Travel agency in Hong Lim Complex @ http://www.airfares.com.sg/travel_insurance/insurance_index.htm

"Section 23. Personal Baggage including Laptop Computer: Cover loss or damage to baggage, clothing, personal effects, laptop computer (maximum S$500 for any one article or pair or set of articles. Maximum for laptop computer is S$1000)."

The reason why i nvr bought travel insurance to cover my camera is because after talking with the agents of 2-3 companies, all of them tell me that the max 500/1000 per item/set of items will consider the cam + lens + flash etc as one set of item. so your entire set of dslr n lens, if lost, you can only claim back 500/1000.

The agents tell me they don't consider the body, lens, flash, etc as separate items even if you have separate receipts....

The reason why i nvr bought travel insurance to cover my camera is because after talking with the agents of 2-3 companies, all of them tell me that the max 500/1000 per item/set of items will consider the cam + lens + flash etc as one set of item. so your entire set of dslr n lens, if lost, you can only claim back 500/1000.

The agents tell me they don't consider the body, lens, flash, etc as separate items even if you have separate receipts....

talk to the agent no use.. talk to the claims officer. most agents know nuts abt their own programs. esp those lower commissions ones.

1 lens and 1 body is a set. 3 lens and 1 body isnt.

it's how a claim is being filed.

I got an insurance policy before from Tenet. The premium is 10-20% of the sum insured. So for a $2000 coverage the premium is $200 - $300. You must have original receipt in order to apply for the insurance coverage. Coverage is for entire year.

This insurance paid for my stolen 1D2 when I was in Thailand. Thank God I have that Insurance. Paid about $800 for the policy which last for a year.

I got an insurance policy before from Tenet. The premium is 10-20% of the sum insured. So for a $2000 coverage the premium is $200 - $300. You must have original receipt in order to apply for the insurance coverage. Coverage is for entire year.

This insurance paid for my stolen 1D2 when I was in Thailand. Thank God I have that Insurance. Paid about $800 for the policy which last for a year.

wow, i'm very interested on this policy. How's your claim on your stolen 1D2? Will it be very complicated/ time consuming?

I got my travel insurance from Liberty Insurance Pte Ltd. http://www.libertyinsurance.com.sg/images/stories/downloads/personal_insurance/TourCare_Plus_Brochure.pdf

Once my policy was processed, I got a SMS from Liberty informing me my policy no., destination of travel and SOS hotline telephone number for any emergency. I don’t have to carry any policy document with me. That is very useful, when you required last minute travel insurance.:cool:

DBS Bank provides you with a wide range services and Travel insurance options. Get coverage and wholesale banking activities across Asia and the Middle East.
For your camera, you can check with them if they do provide any equipment insurance schemes.

thanks for all the suggestions. Yes, I had thought of filing a claim for body, lens etc separately but wasn't sure it would be allowed. I'll try Tenet.
SUrrealDW I am going to Phnom Penh, not Siem Riep. Have a great trip!

Take note of insurance products offered over the banks. Sone really cheap premiums or really wonderfully high covers yet not practical. I

Chartis is previously known as AIG. Have bad experience in claims before.

they got 40% discount at NATAS... got mine for 6 days within asean for $30 ;)