Travel Insurance of Camera Equipment (to vietnam)

dilesh

Feb 26, 2009
Hey Guys,
I plan to go on a trip to Vietnam for 5 days with some friends. There's going to be 8 of us and there'll be 4 DSLRs (Nikon D40x,D60, Canon 40D, 450D) and some non-pro lenses (and 2 P&Ss).... We're not very sure on the safety so was thinking of getting some travel insurance for the equipment. We dont mind even insuring everything under one person if its cheaper.

Do you guys know any Insurance agents who does this and approx. how much this would cost?

Thanks!

Hey Guys,
I plan to go on a trip to Vietnam for 5 days with some friends. There's going to be 8 of us and there'll be 4 DSLRs (Nikon D40x,D60, Canon 40D, 450D) and some non-pro lenses (and 2 P&Ss).... We're not very sure on the safety so was thinking of getting some travel insurance for the equipment. We dont mind even insuring everything under one person if its cheaper.

Do you guys know any Insurance agents who does this and approx. how much this would cost?

Thanks!

1st of all, which part of Vietnam?
In Vietnam, it has been increasing people using DSLR either locals or tones of visitors. So it will not be too 'striking'

And, in some old threads in this sub-forum, if not wrong, there are no dedicated 'camera insurance'. Only for something ('personal electronic items'? forgot the term used) but with maximum claim of $500 if not wrong.

Hey Guys,

Thanks!

considering that you guys are carrying equipment not worth more than 1.2k or 1.3k each.. it would fall into the category of personal belongings which won't really insure you for that much.. In my case i pay US$300 a year because I have $10,000+ of equipment but camera insurance through travel insurance is pretty limited.. I wouldn't really take the trouble of insuring it if i were you, I'd just be careful

In HCMC snatch thefts have been reported. In Hanoi, not as common but smaller items like iPods and hp are usually pickpocketed. Especially when u take the xe om and the guy asks u to put yr bag at the front. While u r busy looking around, his hands will be rummaging thru yr bag.

But do apply common sense as in ANY city. Do not dangle your camera loosely so that a motorcyclist can easily snatch from behind.

AXA travel insurance offers claims up to $5000 max $800 each item for personal equipment. That's the highest I've found so far.

hmm i have been to vietnam twice recently. I will say that overall it's fairly safe. just take the necessary precaution and things should be fine!