Travel Insurance a Necessity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phantasia

Nov 9, 2003
The North
Visit site
Hey all,

Just want to find out if travel insurance is really necessary? And if its useful in the first place? First time backpacking...so alot of things unsure.

If we should get travel insurance, any rough gauge of how much is it per person and where to get it?

Thanks alot!!

:)

Travel insurance is necessary. I cant remember how much I got mine for though... but I do remember its from AIG.

laugh said:
Travel insurance is necessary. I cant remember how much I got mine for though... but I do remember its from AIG.

Erm...any reasoning why its necessary? As in is it necessary by law? Or just that its really useful and good to be insured just in case.

Thanks laugh! ;)

no lah.. of course not by law. But i think its wise to cover for (touchwood)theft, accidents etc when you are overseas.

phantasia said:
Hey all,

Just want to find out if travel insurance is really necessary? And if its useful in the first place? First time backpacking...so alot of things unsure.

If we should get travel insurance, any rough gauge of how much is it per person and where to get it?

Thanks alot!!

:)

travel insurance is a necessity as you will never know what kind of emergency situation may occur when you are in a foreign land (especially when you go backpacking.) cost of insurance vary according to the places you are going to and period of travel. short term travel of one to two weeks should cost less than $120 (rates may change) , usually i will go for the one with better coverage (although more expensive) for the peace of my mind.

phantasia said:
Erm...any reasoning why its necessary? As in is it necessary by law? Or just that its really useful and good to be insured just in case.

Thanks laugh! ;)

It's not mandatory but it is necessary IMO. The coverage is very comprehensive eg. loss of luggage, flight delay, etc.. i think the most important is the medical evacuation package, this can cost u a bomb.

Its important to have, especially if you bring expensive stuff around ...

dragos said:
good to have lor...and if u going to those backward countries, a must have

'backward' is not a good description, 'less-developed' or 'developing' is a preferrred term :)

eikin said:
travel insurance is a necessity as you will never know what kind of emergency situation may occur when you are in a foreign land (especially when you go backpacking.) cost of insurance vary according to the places you are going to and period of travel. short term travel of one to two weeks should cost less than $120 (rates may change) , usually i will go for the one with better coverage (although more expensive) for the peace of my mind.
Not so exp lah.. i think abt S$50 for abt 2 weeks travel

nemesis32 said:
Not so exp lah.. i think abt S$50 for abt 2 weeks travel

$120 is approximately the highest limit as far as i know, i know there are very cheap plans, but the coverage is just too inadequate to be considered for a backpacking trip

ADD: in any case do read carefully, i did mention that it should cost less than $120 :)

dragos said:
good to have lor...and if u going to those backward countries, a must gave

It is good to have no matter where u go. And the premium is low for peace of mind. Colleague of mine got into accident in USA. No travel insurance. Cost a bomb for ICU treatment in US hospital and transfer back to Singapore.

U'd already spent so much for ur trip, wad's $50 for insurance?

I usually give my friend a call and she'll settle everything for me and I pay her later. :D

Thanks all for the replies!!! Yeah i guess from the looks of things....will definitely go source for some insurance plan. ;)

does travel insurance cover theft? How to proof??

When u lose ur luggage and stuff overseas, first thing wad u do?

Report police right? Next thing do wad? Report to Embassy right? After dat? Claim loh. :D

Anyway, I tend to go for AIG ones. They cover acts of terrorism as well if I recall correctly.

i think travel insurance does cover theft, proof is by means of a police report, if i am not wrong.

Personally, i think travel insurance is something good to have. the premium these days is not that high either. i bought mine from NTUC Income, 8 days international coverage for only S$51.

Police report, and any supporting documentation (eg. from rental car company, hotel, etc), is required for claims involving theft, burglary, etc.

Beware that there may be a per-item limit, read the fine print carefully. That may mean that you could get paid a fraction of what your equipment costs.

If I remember correctly, computer equipment (notebook, PDA) is not covered,
camera equipment only covers up to $500 max even if your equipment is new
and cost few thousand dollars. But thats from AIG, dunno is it the same for
other insurance companies.

Status
Not open for further replies.