• Crafting with Filters - by Jon Chiang Saturday, 22th Dec @ Funan Showsuite 1:30pm to 3:30pm. Visit this thread for more information.

Travel between Macau / Hong Kong


Status
Not open for further replies.

jeryltan

Senior Member
Jan 5, 2006
3,354
0
0
45
s5.photobucket.com
#1
How long does it take to get between Macau and Hong Kong? I'm intending to go to Hong Kong but fares are high.. Tiger Airways travels to Macau but not Hong Kong.. So I wondering if I can go that route, it'll be much cheaper.. Any idea? Is it a train ride or boat ride?
 

hotmilo

New Member
Oct 5, 2005
100
0
0
#2
2 modes between HK and Macau - Helicopter and high speed ferry.

Helicopter is (as you may have guessed) very expensive. It could be more expensive than your air fare on Tiger.

High speed ferry takes about an hour. Very frequent schedule and comfortable. Here's a link for more info http://www.turbojet.com.hk/turbojet_sailing_rev.htm

Mind the point that you will incur other land travel costs if you travel via Macau. Also, being unfamiliar with the country, you might not be able to find the most economical mode. As with other countries, a foreigner might fall victim to dishonest people as well. This is not intended to flame Macau, but being in a foreign land, the risk is always there wherever you go.

Personally, I would take the reverse route - land in HK and make a short trip to Macau. Nonetheless, this is a matter of personal preference. No absolute right or wrong.

My 2 cents. Hope this helps.
 

#3
Hi there,

I was wondering this myself too, since I was also planning to take a trip from Spore or KL to HK once. In my upcoming holidays there, I will not be able to travel to HK (unfortunately), but I will in the future. The main thing of course are almost always the costs of travel. When going from Spore or KL, you will probably fly with Tiger or AirAsia, since these LCC's are extremely cheap. Downside is that they fly to Macao instead of directly to HK. Should you prefer to fly directly to HK, you will need to find other, and more expensive, means of transport.

If you plan correctly up front, will it be easy to take that ferry from Macao to HK, or do you guys think it's better to pay some $ extra and fly directly?
 

jeryltan

Senior Member
Jan 5, 2006
3,354
0
0
45
s5.photobucket.com
#4
Heli definitely out.. Was thinking bus or ferry..

Tks for the link, will go check it out..

I was told there were bus services in Macau, to the major areas, shouldn't be a problem trying to figure it out.. Problem is, no economy flights to HK, tickets to HK cost 3x more than Macau :(

hotmilo said:
2 modes between HK and Macau - Helicopter and high speed ferry.

Helicopter is (as you may have guessed) very expensive. It could be more expensive than your air fare on Tiger.

High speed ferry takes about an hour. Very frequent schedule and comfortable. Here's a link for more info http://www.turbojet.com.hk/turbojet_sailing_rev.htm

Mind the point that you will incur other land travel costs if you travel via Macau. Also, being unfamiliar with the country, you might not be able to find the most economical mode. As with other countries, a foreigner might fall victim to dishonest people as well. This is not intended to flame Macau, but being in a foreign land, the risk is always there wherever you go.

Personally, I would take the reverse route - land in HK and make a short trip to Macau. Nonetheless, this is a matter of personal preference. No absolute right or wrong.

My 2 cents. Hope this helps.
 

jeryltan

Senior Member
Jan 5, 2006
3,354
0
0
45
s5.photobucket.com
#5
Ait ticket price difference a lot leh.. $100 vs $300..

DikkieD said:
Hi there,

I was wondering this myself too, since I was also planning to take a trip from Spore or KL to HK once. In my upcoming holidays there, I will not be able to travel to HK (unfortunately), but I will in the future. The main thing of course are almost always the costs of travel. When going from Spore or KL, you will probably fly with Tiger or AirAsia, since these LCC's are extremely cheap. Downside is that they fly to Macao instead of directly to HK. Should you prefer to fly directly to HK, you will need to find other, and more expensive, means of transport.

If you plan correctly up front, will it be easy to take that ferry from Macao to HK, or do you guys think it's better to pay some $ extra and fly directly?
 

Astin

Senior Member
Mar 2, 2002
4,736
0
36
Astin Studio
astin.clubsnap.org
#6
Of course u can fly to Macau airport, then take a taxi from airport to ferry terminal, the taxi fare should be abt HK$50, or take bus abt $5 (not sure), then take a ferry to Hong Kong abt HK$100. U need to consider that u need to clear the custom at Macau airport, then Macau ferry terminal, then Hong Kong side ferry terminal, and the time spent on queueing up and moving around. (currently S$1=HK$4.7)
 

#7
u can take the public bus AP1 from macau airport to the ferry terminal. the cost is HK3.30, it is cheap, but it makes lots of detours, so the time is long. basically the AP1 bus will take you to almost all the major places in macau, including all the casinos :)
 

afbug

Senior Member
Aug 19, 2004
482
0
0
Planet SG™
#8
jeryltan said:
How long does it take to get between Macau and Hong Kong? I'm intending to go to Hong Kong but fares are high.. Tiger Airways travels to Macau but not Hong Kong.. So I wondering if I can go that route, it'll be much cheaper.. Any idea? Is it a train ride or boat ride?
I took this route last year. :) Its simple but time consuming. Upon arrival at Macau airport, take the AP1 bus as highlighted by barracuda. Journey from the airport to the ferry terminal is approx 45mins to 1 hr. You will go to many places before arriving at the ferry terminal. lol. Or you can take a cab. Not too expensive.

At the ferry terminal, you can choose several types of craft to take you to HKG. Some will arrive at Kowloon side, some HKG island side, so you have to decide. (Know where your hotel is) The ride is approx 55 mins. Cost is about $35 SGD one way? I forgotten already.

On your way back, its the same. I suggest staying over at macau. Not bad and can go Zhuhai too. Can explore more places rather than HKG only.

If time is a concern or have children or elderly people travelling, its better to fly direct to HKG.
 

alba

New Member
Jan 26, 2002
70
0
0
Ang Sua
Visit site
#9
afbug,

Have you been to zhuhai? Can share.

I will be going to Macau next month. Comtemplating to go shopping at zhuhai but can't seem to find much reviews as it's not popular. :dunno:

TIA:)
 

jeryltan

Senior Member
Jan 5, 2006
3,354
0
0
45
s5.photobucket.com
#10
Tks for all the tips guys.. Guess I will take the Macau -> HKG route.. Save many money to buy more camera stuff ;)
 

afbug

Senior Member
Aug 19, 2004
482
0
0
Planet SG™
#11
alba said:
afbug,

Have you been to zhuhai? Can share.

I will be going to Macau next month. Comtemplating to go shopping at zhuhai but can't seem to find much reviews as it's not popular. :dunno:

TIA:)
I've been there only once and its only a day tip. So my time in Zhuhai is pretty limited. Just after you cross/exit the barrier gate to Zhuhai, is a huge underground shopping center. Sells mostly clothes and accessories. I got some Sparta jeans there. I spend most of my time there and its surrounding areas. All within walking distance. Zhuhai is slated to be a special economic zone. Most likely to have more newly developed areas since then.

If you want to buy clothes, then is probably good to make a trip there. Many cheap stuffs. Getting there is easy. I took a cab. :bsmilie: Not too expensive. Less than SGD$10. The border is known as Barrier Gate. Immigration can take some time as many ppl cross the border daily. For what i dunno. Approx 30-45mins. Remember, in most of parts of China, (save the major cities) you're probably gonna get some types of goods only. If you want designer goods/electronics, HKG is the better place.

In Macau, there are some shops below St Paul's Cathedral. I passed by only, no time liao. Sands casino is also worth a visit but quite high class and high stakes. Min bet is approx $200-$300 HKD.

My aunt told me that from Zhuhai, you can take a bus to Shenzhen too and then to HKG but its a damn long journey. Better to go to Shenzhen thru HKG.
 

jeryltan

Senior Member
Jan 5, 2006
3,354
0
0
45
s5.photobucket.com
#13
Hmm.. Can consider.. So it's easier and faster to go HK from Shen Zhen compared to Macau?

Astin said:
If all u want is travel to Hong Kong, u can also consider flying Tiger Airways to Shenzhen then take a train to Hong Kong.
 

jeryltan

Senior Member
Jan 5, 2006
3,354
0
0
45
s5.photobucket.com
#14
I just checked, Macau has daily flights.. Whereas flights to Shen Zhen are limited.. Will probably give this route a miss, they don't have flights on days I intend to go and come back :(

Astin said:
If all u want is travel to Hong Kong, u can also consider flying Tiger Airways to Shenzhen then take a train to Hong Kong.
 

alba

New Member
Jan 26, 2002
70
0
0
Ang Sua
Visit site
#15
Thanks afbug. Will keep in mind.:)

jeryltan,

bear in mind it cost about HKD$300 for ferry tix to and from from Macau to HKG. Unless you can get super cheap tix at Tigerair, it might be more worthwhile to get a air ticket with accomodation thru airline package.

HTH
 

andikong

Deregistered
May 8, 2005
28
0
0
74
East
#16
Hi jeryltan,
I just book on-line direct flight to HK on JetStarAsia , it cost me S$ 312 return (all tax and
surcharge inclusive) . You can have a choice of two flights daily am or pm, but there is a
price difference of $30.

Or if you are above 55 yrs of age you can try Royal Brunei Airline to HK with transit in
Brunei, - golden age price of less than s$300 with return stop over one night in Brunei.

Wishing you a happy shopping trip in HK.
 

jeryltan

Senior Member
Jan 5, 2006
3,354
0
0
45
s5.photobucket.com
#17
HK$300 is about $67? The air ticket different between Macau and Hong Kong is like S$220.. So I still save almost S$160.. x 4 and I save, $640.. Can buy another lens liao :)

alba said:
Thanks afbug. Will keep in mind.:)

jeryltan,

bear in mind it cost about HKD$300 for ferry tix to and from from Macau to HKG. Unless you can get super cheap tix at Tigerair, it might be more worthwhile to get a air ticket with accomodation thru airline package.

HTH
 

jeryltan

Senior Member
Jan 5, 2006
3,354
0
0
45
s5.photobucket.com
#18
:think: $312 if include all taxes sounds attractive enough to consider.. Gotta confirm with my parents whether they want to look see at Macau though, if they want then I guess still better to fly through TigerAir to Macau.. None of us are above 55 leh :D

andikong said:
Hi jeryltan,
I just book on-line direct flight to HK on JetStarAsia , it cost me S$ 312 return (all tax and
surcharge inclusive) . You can have a choice of two flights daily am or pm, but there is a
price difference of $30.

Or if you are above 55 yrs of age you can try Royal Brunei Airline to HK with transit in
Brunei, - golden age price of less than s$300 with return stop over one night in Brunei.

Wishing you a happy shopping trip in HK.
 

afbug

Senior Member
Aug 19, 2004
482
0
0
Planet SG™
#19
jeryltan said:
HK$300 is about $67? The air ticket different between Macau and Hong Kong is like S$220.. So I still save almost S$160.. x 4 and I save, $640.. Can buy another lens liao :)
Last year i went, its about this price too. But i just buy 1 way and on the way back i buy again. Ferry cost approx HKD$145-$165 for a 1 way trip. You can use the savings to buy a night or 2 hotel stay at Macau.

If you're taking the Tiger route,

You have to note the time of your return trip if you're not staying at Macau. You have to leave your hotel much earlier and must know the ferry timings in advance.

HKG side customs and ferry waiting time is approx 30mins-1 hr. (U want to be early for your ferry, not late)
Ferry ride is approx 1 hr.
Macau side customs is approx 30 mins.
Taxi ride to Macau international Airport is approx 15-20mins.
Plus you have to be there at least 1.5-2 hrs in advance for your flight.

So you need approx 4-5 hrs to get to Macau airport from HKG and this is excluding travelling time in HKG side. If your flight departs 12noon, early morning you have to leave your hotel. Thats why i think its a good idea to stay at Macau for a day or 2.
 

nemesis32

Senior Member
Oct 16, 2003
3,717
1
0
43
Singapore
Visit site
#20
i agree with afbug, i think the best is fly there, take ferry to HK, come back to macau for 1-2 days then fly back.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom