Travel advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

lastboltnut

Mar 23, 2006
Where the wind blows...
Hi guys, I am travelling to London the whole of next week on business, need some tips from you guys:

1. I am quite sure its safe for DSLR to go thru the airport X-ray machine....but can you please assure me?:)
2. Is tripod allow as hand carried item? Size wise I know it must be within the limit, but security wise will they say that it could be a weapon and thus die die must check in?
3. Any must go places in London?
4. Anyone knows the detail of the garden in the Notting Hill Movie?

Thanks.

Quick tip... the immig/customs at Heathrow are pretty strict and they allow only ONE piece of handcarry bag. Suggest you think of alternatives for your tripod when you are departing.

Check out the London Eye if the weather is great. Should be able to get good shots on a clear day. Enjoy!

1) Yes of course it is safe for x-ray machines.
2) Usually I pack it in my check in baggages
3) Tons of them. Even the streets are something you dont see in Singapore! Picture worthy!
4) :dunno:

If your tripod is small enough to go into the main luggage to check in, then my advise is for you to pack it into your main luggage.

As for where in London is a 'must go' place, I would say just about everything in London, but you can try the London Tower, London Bridge, The Beckingham Palace (especially so during the Imperial Guard Change Over on Sunday morning), and many more, cause it's just about everything that is quite different from Singapore. I'm not sure if it's still the season now, but if you can find some roses to see, you will realise that their roses are so much larger than our roses here in Singapore.

Take the tube (their MRT) or train to get out of the central London and you will get to see even more.

Please be care when taking the tube though, cause it's a very complicated and complex system, if you think our MRT routes are messy, wait till you see the London Tube's routes. Some platforms can have two or more trains for different destination or coloured route, so please do look carefully at the signboard or the info from the train before you board into the train.

Try not to take their london cab though, very expensive.

River Themes would be a nice place to go too. There are quite a few old castles there as well. Take a brochure from the airport and you will find out.

The weather there now should be starting to get cold already.

If you have a laptop, bring along, cause I think you just might need to download your photos into your laptop, otherwise, you'll run out of memory space for your camera to take more photos.

buy the daily train pass. I think there is a 3 or 7 days pass. Will save you a lot of $$$. Some of the smaller stations is closed on weekend. So you better check.

Other then those already mentioned, British Museum is foc if you are interested. Oxford Street area for shopping. West End for drinking.

IMHO, London Eye not worth the $$. It is around 20++ pounds!!!

Go for a premier league match. There is quite a few London club and can be easily assess by tube (mrt).

Go for a play. Many choices.

If possible tried not to check in your tripod.

Aside from the usual sights (Windsor Castle, Buckingham Palace, Tower Bridge, Tower of London, St Paul's Cathedral, etc).

If you have time, I suggest the Thames River Cruise. You can buy the tickets and board the boat from a kiosk around Cleopatra's Needle, near the Houses of Parliament.

This will take you all the way, along the River Thames, to the east to Greenwich, where you can see the Observatory, the Naval College as well as get a commentary on various parts of London.

If you have even more time, you can take a train to Hampton Court Palace - old Tudor Kitchen.

I would personally recommend not to lug a tripod around. Depending on where you are, it can sometimes get crowded. You should be able to hand-hold during the day..... but that is personal. I found that a tripod attracted too much attention, especially at night where people spill out from the pubs.

Lucky you!

Thanks Keith. I will bring an 18-200 VR, so hope the VR works for the day shots.:)

Aside from the usual sights (Windsor Castle, Buckingham Palace, Tower Bridge, Tower of London, St Paul's Cathedral, etc).

If you have time, I suggest the Thames River Cruise. You can buy the tickets and board the boat from a kiosk around Cleopatra's Needle, near the Houses of Parliament.

This will take you all the way, along the River Thames, to the east to Greenwich, where you can see the Observatory, the Naval College as well as get a commentary on various parts of London.

If you have even more time, you can take a train to Hampton Court Palace - old Tudor Kitchen.

I would personally recommend not to lug a tripod around. Depending on where you are, it can sometimes get crowded. You should be able to hand-hold during the day..... but that is personal. I found that a tripod attracted too much attention, especially at night where people spill out from the pubs.

Lucky you!

There's your answer... you can ask your colleagues to help carry your tripod! ;)

I forgot, if you are interested, "The Temple Church" in London, located near Fleet Street was one of the locations where they filmed the Da Vinci Code.

Status
Not open for further replies.