Transposing Bkgd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paladin

Jan 18, 2002
SGP
Visit site
Need advice on how to change the backgd of like a family photo...I managed to seperate the foregd and bkgd but have problem to paste the foregd to the bkgd of my choice naturally...

Help pls..thanks!:dunno:

Anybody wanna try to help me transpose the ppl to anice bkgd...please include the methods too...thanks!

fc52be12.jpg

Originally posted by Paladin
Anybody wanna try to help me transpose the ppl to anice bkgd...please include the methods too...thanks!

This picture is quite difficult for changing the background because:

- Too small. Need higher resolution to be able to treat the edges for a more natural effect.

- Not enough contrast between the subject and the background. For example, the hair of the 2 adults and the night sky in the background, the left arm sleeve of the man ad the wall.

Anyway, I have given it a try and here's the steps and results:

1. In PS, open a new file the same size as the image. Select a sky-blue as background and white as foregound colours in the colour picker and the use Filter>Render>Clouds to generate the following to be used as the background:

aee.jpg

2. Paste the original image onto a second layer on top of the rendered background. Use tha Marquee tool to do a general selection of the subjects. Invert the selection and delete:

aef.jpg

3. Carefully erase the remaining background using the eraser tool. Need to use various brush sizes, strength and feathering to make the edges look natural. For this image, I had to use some blurring on the edges also:

aeg.jpg

4. Finally, adjust the levels on both the background and subject layers so that they are more compatible. I also added a drop shadow effect, hopefully making it more natural. To be realistic is quite out of the question for this picture. So here's the final result:

aeh.jpg

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Roy

Not the normal way of doing it, but from the result, good work!

Originally posted by Jed
Not the normal way of doing it, but from the result, good work!

Thanks, Jed!

Here's another one. Not very natural or realistic, but just for the fun of it:

aei.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.