Transparent Marks on Camera Lens

Oct 20, 2010
Hi All I would like to find out after i breathe onto my lens to create condensation then i use a anti fog lens cloth to wipe it there are alot of transparent marks on my lens. After which i clean again its still there i dont know what causes it even if i google i cannot find the answer.

Hope any bros can help me..

Thanks

Deregistered
Feb 12, 2011
It might be because of the UV coating which has been worn out..

wdEvA

Sep 1, 2006
etanphotography.com
could be the coating is gone,
could be cleaning marks
could be persistent smudge marks - you can try using your nails to see if it goes off

Oct 20, 2010
Thanks bros for your replies i think it is cleaning marks. is there such a thing? i mean what i did was to clean it with a dry lens cloth no solution applied and the lens and filter is a new one.

daredevil123

Staff member
Oct 25, 2005
lil red dot
wm910 said:
Thanks bros for your replies i think it is cleaning marks. is there such a thing? i mean what i did was to clean it with a dry lens cloth no solution applied and the lens and filter is a new one.
Can be anything. Have see the lens to be sure. It can be a scratch, coating loss or maybe just a smudge of that anti fog thingy.

Dream Merchant

Staff member
Jan 11, 2007
Hi All I would like to find out after i breathe onto my lens to create condensation then i use a anti fog lens cloth to wipe it there are alot of transparent marks on my lens. After which i clean again its still there i dont know what causes it even if i google i cannot find the answer.

Hope any bros can help me..

Thanks
Unless it's very light scratches, almost invisible to the eyes, uneven coating which is highlighted up when lens is breathed upon, or fungus, based on the above, my guess is:

1) not all condensation is wiped-up/away, and that leaves cleaning marks, and

2) Most anti-fog cloths have some kind of chemical preparation and that probably left a deposit (of anti-fogging chemicals - that's how they work) on the lens.

Nonetheless, let me guess ... this has absolutely NO effect on the image quality of your lens?

Oct 20, 2010
Thanks Bro Daredevil and Dream merchant. i Believe it is the cleaning marks from the cloth reason is i just bought the lens for less then a week.

daredevil123

Staff member
Oct 25, 2005
lil red dot
wm910 said:
Thanks Bro Daredevil and Dream merchant. i Believe it is the cleaning marks from the cloth reason is i just bought the lens for less then a week.
Dont worry too much. Just shoot.

Top Bottom