Transitions Glasses

Status
Not open for further replies.

anttz

Jul 7, 2006
www.anttz.multiply.com
I have note the price of transitions lenses have dropped quite a bit over couple of years. I was quoted over $1k for a pair two years back and recently the same shop has quoted me $750.

I was also introduced to two other cheaper Japanese brands and price quoted is around $500-$600. I have a feel at the sample and it is obvious transitions lens are of much better quality.

Anyone who is currently wearing transitions glasses or other similar brands care to give some feedback. Thanks.

My degree is 125 only but I use progressive lenses with transitions. Paid about $400+, including frame. Queensway shopping centre.

i think if degree above 500 or 600 lenses charge will be higher.

i paid $290 for transitions incl frame after discount.

My degree is 125 only but I use progressive lenses with transitions. Paid about $400+, including frame. Queensway shopping centre.

i think if degree above 500 or 600 lenses charge will be higher.

i paid $290 for transitions incl frame after discount.

I'm already paying 350-400 for a non-transitions lens. Money aside, can give me some feedback on transitions lenses.

I'm already paying 350-400 for a non-transitions lens. Money aside, can give me some feedback on transitions lenses.

Transitions lenses grow darker in the presence of UV light. In countires with more natural UV light (e.g. OZ land), it gets quite a bit darker compared to here in Singapore. It also means that it doesn't get dark in cars generally as cars generally have UV filtering windows (whether built-in or by using solar films).

It turns dark quite fast when you move from a covered place to a sun-exposed place but takes longer to lighten when moving the other way round.

I find the darkening effect is more natural/neutral compared to normal sunglasses which tend to have some kind of colour tinting (e.g. you see everyting a little bluish or brownish, depending on the tint).

If I'm not wrong, the extra for transitions should not be more than $200 (IIRC).

I am abt 300 degrees in each eyes... while i was making my recent glasses, i asked the optician, pointing to the ads. the man told me my degrees, the price of that brand one (you see the ad on TV, Cinema, posters bus stop everywhere, MRT) the price is $240 for the lens alone. Expensive sia.

Both my eyes about 250 degrees.
Got my transition lenses 2 yrs ago. Still using it, its a very good lens.
Costed only abt $300.

Was quoted $270 for lens by my optician. My degree is 500+ on the right with 150 astig for both eyes. Still thinking whether to use it as i have a pair of shades with degree that cost me only $80.

I fixed my glasses with transitions... because the coating on it was supposedly tougher than normal glasses. put them in the Australian sun for a bit and you may actually get to see your glasses melt.

I got quoted $200ish for the lenses alone for Essilor ones. worth every dime if you ask me.

I have zero degree but about 50 or 100 astig. hence I need them for precision viewing.

Last edited:
If you want good lenses with transitions, check out Rodenstock. Solid.

Both my eyes about 250 degrees.
Got my transition lenses 2 yrs ago. Still using it, its a very good lens.
Costed only abt $300.

Mine is similar degree and price...don't get chop carrot head for it..

I paid $500 for a pair of Oakley socket 4.0 with transitions lens. The best part is I do not know how much each cost. :dunno:

Maybe its because the optician looks sincere and not pushy.

Other than transitions, what other brands of photochromic lenses are there in the market?

Thinking of changing my glasses too. Still thinking if I should go for this since it is going to be useful for my water sport.

FYI, I have been going around 5 various optic shops over the weekend around town and around residential area and was quoted $600 - $900 lenses only. The high price is because of my high astig.

Hmm ... seems like the price is somewhat the same. Spent about $900 1.5 years ago; it was a high-indexed and I have high astig too ...

By the way, Rodenstock does look interesting ... especially pairing their Rodaflex Twin with ColorMatic lenses ...

Status
Not open for further replies.