Transition lens ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I paid $160 for a pair of transition lens ( Orginal transition from Essilor ) and $45 for a pair of normal plastic muti coated lens.

I think it still depends on the degree of the lens.

But be warn that the tint doesn't change to as dark as sunglasses as advertised if used in Singapore.

And it doesn't work if you use it in a car or bus or train.

Read more about it here.

i was quoted about ~$280 for a pair. My myopia is about -7.75 (or commonly called 775 degrees) and astig 1.5 (aka 150deg) both eyes roughly the same.
My 'normal' high index lenses costs me ~$60

hello..i have a pair.. cost me i think abt $250 wif titanium frames.

btw,
if i were to change a frame, w/o changing my transition lens..can it be done? assuming they dun cut or alter the lens shape.?

Transitions are good. I kinda like it, although I dont like the look of it.
In warmer temperatures, it seems... it is less active. But good enough to take the glare away at the beach or taking photos under the sun.

In cold climates... it goes bonkers! I went to tokyo disney land and it turns dark very very quickly under moderate lighting. Standing in the sun in the queue makes it super dark, and it does not clear at all when u go in for the ride indoors. This has led me to keep my glasses in the pocket when I'm queueing.

Due to my serious myophia, I was quoted like almost $300 for a pair of Essilor Photochromatic Lenses (or 'Transitions') at Paris Miki Liang Court.

It depends on ur myophia 'degree' in a way. Naturally, logic goes: Thicker lens, more expensive.

They've got their own in-house Photochromatics as well which is slightly cheaper and work just as well IMO. But something to take note abt Photochromatics:

1) They 'transit' faster in colder weather. It may be a property of the coating. Which is why, even on a glaringly hot day in Singapore, it may not work as well due to the weather & humidity conditions.

2) Photochromatics have a lifespan where they would not change colours as well, not as fast or not at all, even under optimal conditions. When this lifespan had been reached, it will leave a sort of a minor tint on the lenses. This is a natural property of all photochromatic lenses.

Finally, it doesn't affect viewing thru the viewfinder even after turning dark. ;p

Compared to my older specs, I tend to squint less under bright sunlight. See things somewhat clearer now.

To make you feel better I was quoted US$295 for a pair of Transition high-index multi-coated lens, and that does not include the frame, that was US$145. With tax the total came up to be US$478!!!

Luckily they got promotion so the frame was $55 and the lens got $50 discount so the total came up to $326. Insurrence covered $180 so my final out of pocket was $146.:sweat:

Got my pair in Guangzhou last year... paid 160RMB for them, High index plastic, multicoat, transitions.. but dunno wad brand, it works like a charm... but does not really turn that dark... however it does help alot in bright sunlight... will know better when use them in cold weather later this year... :) anyway, its a good investment, and as jsbn said... shooting outdoors is still the same. does not affect one bit... :D

I heard the coating is not forever. The transitions effect will degrade or fade after sometimes.

I paid $160 for a pair of transition lens ( Orginal transition from Essilor ) and $45 for a pair of normal plastic muti coated lens.

I think it still depends on the degree of the lens.

But be warn that the tint doesn't change to as dark as sunglasses as advertised if used in Singapore.

And it doesn't work if you use it in a car or bus or train.

Read more about it here.

Thinking of getting a pair so that driving is more comfortable, but it seems like it does not work. :think:

When u are driving, I'd rather u get a seperate pair of shades.

Essilor Transition lenses do not work when u are driving (unless u're driving on a convertible open top) as they react to UV and NOT VISIBLE LIGHT.

Since ur windscreen is UV treated, ur glasses will not turn dark.

Thinking of getting a pair so that driving is more comfortable, but it seems like it does not work. :think:

Transitions does not work in cars because the windows block UV which is needed to trigger the darkening of the lens.

Best is to get a frame thant comes with clip-on sunglasses and then add transition lens.

When you dun wear your pair transitions, remember to put keep in the drybox :bsmilie: joking ...

When my wife was driving during the NZ trip and the sun was shining at her right side. The left lens remain clear and right lens was darken.

The window's down I suppose? Either this or they did not UV-treat the side window's properly.

Still, I can imagine, it must be hilarious... ;p Half-and-half.

Status
Not open for further replies.