Transition from film to DSLR (nikon)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanquishShadow

Jan 26, 2003
Visit site
hi,

my dad has a nikon F60 with a Nikkor 28-105mm 1:3.5-4.5 D lens.

We are considering moving to digital, and most likely Nikon since we already have this lens.

Would just like some advice as to whether it would be better to get a new kit, or get a second-hand body only, and whether a D50/D70s is a better choice.

My main gripe is that the D50 uses SD card, while almost all other dSLRs use CF?

Go to a camera shop n test out both especially e holding of each in ur hands. Which 1 gives u a more comfortin feelin after some time of holdin? Datz e 1 u shud get... I believe most photographers while focusin more on features n other technical aspect of a body, tend to miss diz very critical point.

The 28-105 is a nice lens, but you may want to get a wider angle lens when you go digital. Best option is to get a D70s kit - the 18-70mm lens is a great performer and great value as part of the kit.

I would advise the D70 since your dad has a F60 already, a D70S would seem more upgraded than a D50 as you're doing the transition. The D70S should keep hiim busy for a while.

hazta said:
Go to a camera shop n test out both especially e holding of each in ur hands. Which 1 gives u a more comfortin feelin after some time of holdin? Datz e 1 u shud get... I believe most photographers while focusin more on features n other technical aspect of a body, tend to miss diz very critical point.

Hi, I agree with Hazta that you need to hold both cameras to see which is more comfy. There are no such thing as lousy cameras, you just need to get what you need. Most of the time, people tend to go for the higer end ones so that they do not need to upgrade as often but do they actually need those features? So it's what you want vs what you need. In terms of features wise, i think the D70S is quite a versatile one. But the decision is still up to yourself. My advise is to go to the shop and get the feel of the cameras and use your heart and not what you hear (esp. from the sales person) to affect your decision.

Just my 2 cents worth.

VanquishShadow said:
hi,

my dad has a nikon F60 with a Nikkor 28-105mm 1:3.5-4.5 D lens.

We are considering moving to digital, and most likely Nikon since we already have this lens.

Would just like some advice as to whether it would be better to get a new kit, or get a second-hand body only, and whether a D50/D70s is a better choice.

My main gripe is that the D50 uses SD card, while almost all other dSLRs use CF?

Like the others say, why don't you & your dad go down to the shops and try out the cameras to see which ones you like, or join one of the clubsnap outings and see if anyone will let you play around with their cameras...;) try out the D50/D70s/D200....

You can probably reuse the 28 - 105mm lens, which is why you consider Nikon, plus you would be more familiar with the system.

Nikon DSLRs D50/D70/D70s comes with a 1.5 crop factor, so your 28 - 105mm effectively becomes a 42 - 157.5mm lens equiv. Not a problem if you don't do wide angle landscape. It really depends on the type of shoot you do. If you do need wide angle, you could of course get a wide angle lens - 12 - 24mm to supplement your 28 -105mm ( won't really miss the in between.) Of course, if you can afford it, get new, as the warranty is for 1 year. better coverage. You can of course trust the 2nd hand in our B&S, cause mostly well taken care-of cameras are sold here by the members. have quite alot of good exp B&S here.

Regarding CF/SD, initially, it doesn't really matter unless you already got CF cards. Anyway, nowadays the cost of flash cards are more affordable, so not really a problem there.

Unless you are already using Nikon flash, you probably should consider getting the Sb600/SB-800 as well.

As for me, I use to use the Nikon F65 and got the D50, cause i like its lighter weight ( although not much..)) and simpler functions, which is sufficient for me. With the kit lens, I hardly use the 28-80mm lens. Of course, I had to change my suntax flash to SB-800.

Hope this helps....;) BTW, who will be using the camera more, you or your dad? Presume your dad's paying, then you will need his consent...;) Wish my dad would consult me last time when he buys his cameras, but I was too young then...sigh

Wait for the new camera to launch, on National Day. (I presume D80), and the 2nd hand market will be flooded with D70s. Take your pick then.
(Warning, D70 have a lot more noise then D50 though)

Of course, you can also go for the new Camera!

yup yup! already there is alot of D70/D70s on BnS already.... Sob sob, is my baby devalu-ing?

anyway, i go for D70s cos of the many extra features. but is looking forward to the day where I can get my D200 cos of the vertical grip.

Haha, I the reverse. Today Hand Itchy get FM10. Yay! Love the winding and careful shooting with film. :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.