Transit of Venus in Singapore - Last one in our lifetime!

astrosg

Deregistered
Jun 2, 2012
Astronomical Event: Transit of Venus 2012
Date: 6 June 2012, Wednesday
Duration: 6:13 AM - 12:49 PM (Singapore time)

Watch this short video for more info:
[video=youtube;TM_efLZUhqI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM_efLZUhqI[/video]

Free public viewing locations:

(1) National University of Singapore - Faculty of Science
(2) Galaxy Community Club - formerly known as Admiralty Gardens Community Centre.
(3) Singapore Science Centre

As this is my first post, I am not allowed to post links to the 3 event venues mentioned above. Those who are interested to see them can visit my website at www [dot] astro [dot] sg

Have fun shooting the Sun (safely through proper solar filters), the solar telescopes and crowd at these events! Your photos will be remembered for at least 105 years! :)

Last edited:
Can i use ND filter to capture?

U need at least 13.5 stop nd to properly capture it

alternatively if miss, just have to be around for at least 105 years for the next attempt. :)

The question in my mind: will I be able to tell it apart from my sensor dirt :dunno:

A more serious question: you think if I slap on my Hoya R72 filter on say a kit 18-55mm will it do the job?

Just checked Weather@SG: "6 June - morning thundery showers". Oh well...

Sigh... I have a 4/3 200mm (400mm FF equivalent)... too bad I have no filters for it. Just starting out.

Sigh... I have a 4/3 200mm (400mm FF equivalent)... too bad I have no filters for it. Just starting out.

wrap black transparent plastic sheet on lens hood ;-) ;-) ;-)

fyi
The japs had since getting ready and gearing up for the annular eclipse May and this venus transit june since kenko bought over cokin last year.
the 13.5 stops is from their kenko nd 10000 and nd 100000 16.5 stops.
As far as quality concerned, it is made of glass like material and is multi-coated

Last edited:
A more serious question: you think if I slap on my Hoya R72 filter on say a kit 18-55mm will it do the job?

R72 only 4 stops of light reduction,

the 13.5 figure was given in the brochure where kenko was aggressively pushing for the sale of their newly developed nd solely just for this event

NUS conducting *overnight* stargazing session from now onwards. Can go there and shoot the telescopes and crowd there in addition to astronomical objects. You will see some of the most unique private telescope collection from local amateur astronomers. Look out for a super long, big and black one that looks like an anti-aircraft gun. :p Good opportunity to practice your night photography skills too.

Weather permitting, there is also a very bright and high International Space Station flypast tonight from 8pm - 8:10pm. Look south west and see a white silent moving "star".

For the latest Venus Transit updates in Singapore, please follow my twitter at www [dot] twitter [dot] sg / astrosg . Or search in twitter #venustransitsg .

Good luck guys and clear skies!

Last edited:
2nite on 5 June, weather outlook for the next 12 hours:

Thundery showers and gusty wind over many areas in the early hours and predawn hours.

Hopefully the strong winds will scatter the clouds for a perfect dawn viewing.

it starts raining now, 1:01am.

hope it'll stop by sunrise...