Transit of Venue tomorrow

UncleFai

Mar 10, 2010
Singapore
I am planning on slapping my Hoya R72 filter onto my kit 18-55mm. Do folks know if it will work?

I don't think your 18-55 will be long enough to see the black dot of Venus in transition.
For me I would use my 400 +1.4X II TC. Filter will be B+W ND400 and hope it is dark enough. I have welding glass of shade 11 with me also just in case.

I don't think your 18-55 will be long enough to see the black dot of Venus in transition.
For me I would use my 400 +1.4X II TC. Filter will be B+W ND400 and hope it is dark enough. I have welding glass of shade 11 with me also just in case.

Thanks. Anyway, probably won't matter - weather forecast is for thundery shower tomorrow morning :(

Thanks. Anyway, probably won't matter - weather forecast is for thundery shower tomorrow morning :(

depends how much you trust our local weather forecast.

Simi poon kua boh :(

hope u got it now, tiger.. 8)

Indeed :)

7158702351_969f0fe0e7_c.jpg

And just out of interest, this was my gear (too late to go get a solar filter so rigged one up from what I have last night...)

7158718487_6bd4d7715c.jpg

I have a Cokin plastic holder with a 77mm ring. This happens to fit my 300mm f4. I had also bought (long ago) a 72mm Fader ND that goes to a max of 3 stops (I think). I found that I could slide it into the Cokin holder and it held firm! (Luck number 1.) That would not be enough. Then I got my 52mm Hoya R72 (I hear it gives 4 stops - also explains the red cast in the shot - oh well). I found a 52mm-72mm step up ring (I intended to use the ND on my 52mm lenses). Then I found that I could "reverse mount" the Hoya onto the front of the ND Fader and used gaffer tapes to hold it in place (luck number 2). And the whole rig has zero vignetting on my V1 (Luck number 3).

This morning got up at 6am and went around the estate hoping to shoot. No luck. Threw the gear on the back of my car and went to office. A meeting and presentation went well (luck number 4) and ended at 11.30am - then notice that the sun was out! (luck number 5).

So quite a lucky day :)

Luck number 6: got a call from dealer that my D800E has arrived in Singapore (though not at the dealer yet) :)

Luck number 6: got a call from dealer that my D800E has arrived in Singapore (though not at the dealer yet) :)

quick go buy 4d, hit metal while hot.. 8)

my contribution, sorry rather oof cos i no gd at manual focus

Olympus 300mm+1.4tele, hoya nd400+elp IR filter.
1/200, f9, iso800

Another shot processed to change the hue. Can see sunspots :) Or wait... sensor dirt? :confused:

7158759699_9961565493_z.jpg

Last edited:
7159165929_c89b36f375_b.jpg

Managed to capture this series of shots. Must admit it was far difficult than I thought.

DigitalCamera said:
Your thread title says "Transit of Venue" :bsmilie:

Oops... Probably too much staring at the sen.

Another shot processed to change the hue. Can see sunspots :) Or wait... sensor dirt? :confused:

7158759699_9961565493_z.jpg

At first I thought is TS transiting at a place and asking where to go :bsmilie:

Venus is the black circle there? Can see similar sun spots at Kuanwk photo also, but his sun too bright, see a while eye blur.