Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfgang

Apr 29, 2002
Riddle Realms
wolfgang.clubsnap.org
Dear All,

Just wondering if anyone can help....

I have abt 5 hrs + for transit at Narita and was wondering if it would be practical to take a train (bullet train?) down to Toyko for a quick walk around and a bowl of ramen?

If so, do advice how i can go about it. I really do not want to get lost in Japan.... :sweat:

Thank you. :)

Wolfgang said:
Dear All,

I have abt 5 hrs + for transit at Narita and was wondering if it would be practical to take a train (bullet train?) down to Toyko for a quick walk around and a bowl of ramen?

If so, do advice how i can go about it. I really do not want to get lost in Japan.... :sweat:

Yoz Wolfie!

Wah.. travelling again ahh.. When you going?

Wolfgang said:
Dear All,

Narita to Ueno via Keisei Skyliner to Keisei-Ueno (in Ueno district) takes approximately 50mins and Narita to Tokyo station via JR Narita Express takes abt the same time.

In all, it takes 2hrs to & fro. Since the JR Narita Express & Keisei Skyliner are not bullet-trains travelling at 250km/h, thus the long travelling time.

Which leaves u 3hrs in Tokyo. During which u can grab the JR Yamanote line (which effectively is a circle line, with Tokyo as the main terminal station going in a circle) to goto popular places like Shinjuku, Shibuya, Harajuku, Ikebukuro, Akihabara, etc.

If I'm u, I'll head straight to Akihabara since its the electronics central in downtown Tokyo. Den again, temptations might be so great that u'll end up being a bankrupt.

Harajuku's the youth fashion capital. And Meiji Shrine (which is dedicated to the Meiji Emperor) is located just outside the station and will take u like an hour or two to tour it?

How abt popping over to Asakusa? Its just like 1 or 2 subway rides from Ueno station and u've got the famous Asakusa Sensoji there.

Prolly since u're travelling within this month, u can go to Ueno Park which is just outside Ueno Station to see some Sakura?

I'd personally give Tokyo Tower (which u can alight at JR Hamamatsucho Station and take a short 20min walk) a miss though. There isn't really much u can do around that place.

If u're feeling rich, grab the subway down to Ginza (just like 5 or 6 stops away from Asakusa?) have a coffee and go over to the Apple Store?

U can fire off like a hundred shots in ur short 2.5 - 3hrs there. Enjoy! :D

On a shameless pertext of 'soft-launching' my website, u can probably browse thru this link to read up on information in Japan. :)

http://www.jeffphototravel.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10

5hr+ transit at Narita? Let me guess, are you enroute to Hawaii?

A word of caution when contemplating going out of the airport. You should cater lots of buffer time when going back into the airport. The waiting time and/or journey time back may be longer than you think. Also, sometime the custom clearance can also take a very very long time.

The Narita Express train (NEX) is pretty good, quite on-time, and no congestion unlike going on the highway on the limousine bus. However, that bowl of ramen would end up being a bit pricey, as each way is around 3000 yen (S$45) ...

There's no bullet train from Narita to downtown Tokyo, but the NEX is fast enough.

A better idea, I reckon, is to just tour T1 and T2 ... just window shop, and eat at the airport restaurants. And you don't end up rushing here and there.

Another idea ... take a day or two off. Stopover there, check out hotel info at the airport, and even stay in a capsule hotel downtown. Then you take your time and walk around ...

T1 has nice tonkatsu ;) 1000 Yen gets you one big slab taken off porky pig, loads of sauce plus free flow of rice :sticktong

Klose said:
T1 has nice tonkatsu ;) 1000 Yen gets you one big slab taken off porky pig, loads of sauce plus free flow of rice :sticktong

Is it the cafe with a skylight? Can't remember the exact place, but there was a curry restaurant off a row of shops near the check-in counters for Northwest that sells good stuff.;)

Since you are in Japan anyway, might as well check if you can extend the transit to next flight, probably another day... do some little tour in Japan as well. :)

Ignore me if this option is out for you. :bsmilie:

ericp said:
The Narita Express train (NEX) is pretty good, quite on-time, and no congestion unlike going on the highway on the limousine bus. However, that bowl of ramen would end up being a bit pricey, as each way is around 3000 yen (S$45) ...

There's no bullet train from Narita to downtown Tokyo, but the NEX is fast enough.

A better idea, I reckon, is to just tour T1 and T2 ... just window shop, and eat at the airport restaurants. And you don't end up rushing here and there.

Another idea ... take a day or two off. Stopover there, check out hotel info at the airport, and even stay in a capsule hotel downtown. Then you take your time and walk around ...
The JR NEX is pretty expensive for a downtown ride.

Go for a Keisei Skyliner ride to Keisei-Ueno station. It brings u straight to Ueno. :)

If you got only 5 hrs and if you really love Unagi, may I recommend you this area where you drop at JR Narita Station. This restaurant serves the BEST Unagi i have ever tasted ... live eels done up right at the door step!.... If you are like me for Unagi ... dont miss.
http://www.hawaiiancondos.com/akiko.html
About five minutes away you will see this temple ... Naritasan Temple ... big and nice
http://www.hawaiiancondos.com/akiko2.html
All these within 5 hours ..... :thumbsup:
Waiting to see your photos ......

LazerLordz said:
Is it the cafe with a skylight? Can't remember the exact place, but there was a curry restaurant off a row of shops near the check-in counters for Northwest that sells good stuff.;)

Dont really remember but I know the escalator leading to it is behind the ANA Business Class Check In counters ;)

I doubt you can get out of airport if your ticket is stated for transit. Normally, you needs to pay a fee to amend the ticket to get into Japan. Transit does mean you have step into japan, check with your tour agency or airline counter

Wolfgang said:
Thanks for the tips everyone. :)

hey you left the island already?

Hi All,

I'm back home. Decided to pop out to Keisei Narita Station and had fun going to the Aeon Shopping Centre but almost got myself lost due to the funny train system and some mis-comm between the security officer and myself... :embrass:

:)

1st time funny, 2nd time strange, 3rd time u'll get used to it and anywhere from the 4th time onwards would be like ur usual way of taking MRTs locally. :D

U shld still have popped to Akihabara methinks...

Psst! Yodobashi is right beside the JR exit ;p

jsbn said:
1st time funny, 2nd time strange, 3rd time u'll get used to it and anywhere from the 4th time onwards would be like ur usual way of taking MRTs locally. :D

I took the subway around Tokyo from day 1 of arrival, the only place where I had problems getting to, was Hamamatsu(sic) Station, near the Tokyo Tower.:sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.