Transfering to harddisk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leykid1634

Mar 8, 2007
Hi,
Thinking of getting another 2Gb CF 80x for around S$120 (ave). But get to know of a portable harddisk device, that the casing can insert many type of media cards including CF card. The casing + the harddisk of 80Gb costing around S$180. With that I can store around 40x more pictures.:eek:

My concern is, if I buy the portable harddisk device to download the pictures from the CF card, to empty it so that I can take some more picture which i am on the go. Will the quality of the pictures be affected? because still need to download the pictures from the portable harddisk to the PC.:think:

Your wise advice is much apreaciate.

its digital, nothing will go wrong.

you ever see your document got affect with transfering from pc to pc??

Oh sorry...
I shd be more precise. We all know that the quality of JPEG file will detolerate every time it is being save or transfer. That is where my concern is.

C&C are welcome.

Oh sorry...
I shd be more precise. We all know that the quality of JPEG file will detolerate every time it is being save or transfer. That is where my concern is.

C&C are welcome.

No lah.

Quality of jpeg images are affected only if it's opened (i.e. decompressed) and then saved again (i.e. compressed again) because there is some information lost during the compression process (lossy).

A outright transfer without opening and compressing again will not lead to any further loss of data because there is no decompression and compression done and the copy is 100% of the original compressed jpeg file.

I would do this

1. I must have enough memory cards that can last an entire trip. If that's too costly, than I must have enough for 1 day usage.

2. Then I'll buy a hardisk based storage for offloading. I would need 2 such devices to make 2 copies, before the ones in memory cards are erased.

The point is, I would need 2 copies as soon as practical.

A jpg file can be copied/transferred for infinite times and not a bit information will be lost.

Another option is to buy a 2.5" HDD(??GB up to you) with One touch backup casing(cheapest $40+)

So when u travel..u juz need ur camera, the usb cable and the HDD...
U can transfer files from camera to HDD directly..
BTW the HDD casing is battery powered

if picture quality affected,

then the mp3 distributed wont already sound like thru telephone? ;)

Depends on how much memory you have right now.

If only 1X2GB u might as well get another card..

Hey thanks Guys for your C&C.
Think getting a ext. harddisk is the best option.
If JPEG has no problem, than RAW shd be in its best.

Thanks once again.

Status
Not open for further replies.