Transfering images from camera to PC, but PC got virus. How?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mem0riess

Jan 23, 2009
North
As thread title,
My com got some **** virus, will it spread to my camera if i transfer my images?

Need help and reply asap.
Thanks!

It'll infect your memory card but not your camera.

You better clean up your computer first.

Got any recommended program for spyware/malware?
I need it urgently. Please help.

Virus spread from pc to dslr?!
Different platform dun see how that can happen

on another note I always transfer thru card reader
never know if pc decides to die while u r plugged in,
cam mite just die with the pc!!

i dont know if the type of virus in your com will affect your camera, but if you want you can transfer using SD or CF cards, then reformat the cards in your camera before each use?

free one you can use AVG 9.0 free

whatever it is....u'll need to resolve the virus problem sooner or later...

I reformat my com, but still got the virus, dont know why.
I think from the harddisk. Zzzz.
Now using AVG to scan.. hope can solve my problems.

The cam probably wont be infected, but depending on the nature of the virus, the CF/SD card might be rendered useless. And should you plug this CF/SD card into another comp, it might infect that comp too.

Please go and buy an antivirus and make an effort to keep it up to date. Zonealarm Ultimate 2010 is good (firewall + antivirus) and the yearly subscription keeps your software version up to date.
Although some computers make slow down slightly, the difference is insignificant and you can trust your PC for transaction.

As thread title,
My com got some **** virus, will it spread to my camera if i transfer my images?

Need help and reply asap.
Thanks!

Without wasting time, the steps to take (assuming you are using PC):
(1) Download "AVAST Free". It is free but you got to register for one year's use.
(2) Update the virus definitions and scan your PC. It will take between 20mins to 90mins depending on your total harddisk size.
(3) While you are protected, go out and buy "BitDefender Total Security 2010".
(4) While you are disconnected from the net, uninstall your AVAST.
(5) Install your BitDefender and update the virus definition and you will be protected by one of the best anti-virus software.

Steps (3) to (5) can be ignored if you choose not to purchase BitDefender as one year subscription can set you back $95.00

Hope that helps.

Diz kinda virus does not reside in your OS so u can't remove it by reformatting.

The best way to remove such virus is thru the "PreInstallation Environment" a.k.a PE. ;)

Most probably it is the autorun.inf virus, you need to remove the autorun.inf file from the root folder of all your hard drives and memory cards. You also need to remove the virus program from auto running when you start your pc. To prevent your pc from getting the virus from memory cards, disable autoplay in control panel completely.

Last edited:
I think from the harddisk. Zzzz.
Now using AVG to scan.. hope can solve my problems.

Possibly a boot sector virus, so you'll probably need to do a low level format. here's a wiki type link with a howto.

http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-a-Boot-Sector-Virus

If your camera uses SD cards, you can set the card to read only if you use a card reader to transfer pics to your comp.

What OS?
I presume it is a Windows, did you patch your system?
Is there a Firewall in place for your system?
Are you on a shared network at home?
Are you using a Router as your gateway with SPI Firewall enabled?

1) After you format your com did you have a Firewall or enable your Firewall to block computer worm which propagated through network/TCP IP?

2) Did you install Anti-Virus Program after a Clean installation before accessing the Internet or connected to your network?

3) Did you patch your System OS after the above?

If the above sequence is not done upon a cleaning installation, not matter how many time u format your HDD and install, it is only a matter of time you will be infected with malware again and again.

Last edited:
Its actually quite easy. I follows this step whenever anyway. (SDCARDS)

Just turn the "LOCK" switch to on before you plug into your computer. The comp can only copy images.
Then back at the camera, unlock the "LOCK" Switch and manual format the card on the camera.

Its actually quite easy. I follows this step whenever anyway. (SDCARDS)

Just turn the "LOCK" switch to on before you plug into your computer. The comp can only copy images.
Then back at the camera, unlock the "LOCK" Switch and manual format the card on the camera.

This only protect the memory card but not the pc. If the memory card is already infected, the pc will still get the virus.

This only protect the memory card but not the pc. If the memory card is already infected, the pc will still get the virus.

Yes, but that's not the issue. The PC is already infected.

TS, I recommend the Kaspersky 30-day trial.

No, the virus will not affect the cam BUT your memory card may be affected.

To deal with the problem, you can try installing a anti-spyware/malware software and also an anti-virus software.
I'm using MalwareBytes Anti-malware and Avast Anti-virus (free home edition). ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.