The cam probably wont be infected, but depending on the nature of the virus, the CF/SD card might be rendered useless. And should you plug this CF/SD card into another comp, it might infect that comp too.
Please go and buy an antivirus and make an effort to keep it up to date. Zonealarm Ultimate 2010 is good (firewall + antivirus) and the yearly subscription keeps your software version up to date.
Although some computers make slow down slightly, the difference is insignificant and you can trust your PC for transaction.
Without wasting time, the steps to take (assuming you are using PC):
(1) Download "AVAST Free". It is free but you got to register for one year's use.
(2) Update the virus definitions and scan your PC. It will take between 20mins to 90mins depending on your total harddisk size.
(3) While you are protected, go out and buy "BitDefender Total Security 2010".
(4) While you are disconnected from the net, uninstall your AVAST.
(5) Install your BitDefender and update the virus definition and you will be protected by one of the best anti-virus software.
Steps (3) to (5) can be ignored if you choose not to purchase BitDefender as one year subscription can set you back $95.00
Most probably it is the autorun.inf virus, you need to remove the autorun.inf file from the root folder of all your hard drives and memory cards. You also need to remove the virus program from auto running when you start your pc. To prevent your pc from getting the virus from memory cards, disable autoplay in control panel completely.
I presume it is a Windows, did you patch your system?
Is there a Firewall in place for your system?
Are you on a shared network at home?
Are you using a Router as your gateway with SPI Firewall enabled?
1) After you format your com did you have a Firewall or enable your Firewall to block computer worm which propagated through network/TCP IP?
2) Did you install Anti-Virus Program after a Clean installation before accessing the Internet or connected to your network?
3) Did you patch your System OS after the above?
If the above sequence is not done upon a cleaning installation, not matter how many time u format your HDD and install, it is only a matter of time you will be infected with malware again and again.