Transfer photos to VCD/DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadly

Feb 4, 2002
Clementi
Visit site
Hi,

I've been trying out a couple of software to transfer my digital photos into VCD/SVCD and DVD formats. I will summarise my efforts and hope to hear some comments from the forumers.

1) Ulead DVD PictureShow 1.0

This is the best of the lot. Supports only VCD and DVD but the pictures come up the best among all the software that I've evaluated. Unfortunately it does not support SVCD format and does not have other transition effects.

2) PicturetoTV ver 1.2

Great transition effects! Easy to use. Does not support DVD format and you need to buy SVCD plugin. I burnt some photos on the VCD format and the pictures on TV is quite disappointing.

3) Photo2VCD v1.60 Pro

Great transition effects, support VCD and SVCD but not DVD formats. Burnt pictures on VCD and SVCD formats. VCD not very good as pictures were grainy. Tried SVCD/PAL format and it was worse - pictures got truncated and still grainy.

Overall, DVD PictureShow is the best IMHO.

Are there other software out there that allows you to create VCD/DVD from digital photos?

Hmm... no response from the rest. Am I the only one interested in creating VCDs out of my photos?

Anyway, found on DPreview that Adobe will be launching PhotoShop Album 1.0 in Feb 2003. You can read the review in the following url:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/adobephotoshopalbum/

I can't wait to test this software... :gbounce:

Originally posted by Deadly
Hi,

I've been trying out a couple of software to transfer my digital photos into VCD/SVCD and DVD formats. I will summarise my efforts and hope to hear some comments from the forumers.

1) Ulead DVD PictureShow 1.0

This is the best of the lot. Supports only VCD and DVD but the pictures come up the best among all the software that I've evaluated. Unfortunately it does not support SVCD format and does not have other transition effects.

2) PicturetoTV ver 1.2

Great transition effects! Easy to use. Does not support DVD format and you need to buy SVCD plugin. I burnt some photos on the VCD format and the pictures on TV is quite disappointing.

3) Photo2VCD v1.60 Pro

Great transition effects, support VCD and SVCD but not DVD formats. Burnt pictures on VCD and SVCD formats. VCD not very good as pictures were grainy. Tried SVCD/PAL format and it was worse - pictures got truncated and still grainy.

Overall, DVD PictureShow is the best IMHO.

Are there other software out there that allows you to create VCD/DVD from digital photos?

I've tried 1) and 3) ....... I must say that the Ulead DVD Pictureshow have the BEST picture output while I can PUKE at the output from photo2vcd.....

BUT... I have this software which beats the competition HANDS DOWN :thumbsup: :D ....

its ProShow Gold by photodex corp.
The picture ouput is slightly worse compared to Ulead but its features its AWESOME and POWERPACKED and not forgetting that its very user-friendly.... you can create all sorts of format ...slideshow on vcd laaa...screensaver laa...executable slideshow laaaa... many features.... have transition effects laaa.. audio background laaa... can edit the pis slighty in the program la... put text in every pics laa... menus laaa.... diferrent backgrounds laaa....
not to forget the program is crash free and the encoding time is much faster than photo2vcd....

hhehe I know I"m making you drool : P ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

try searching the net for it.... if not successful well..... you can ask me privately for... *arhem* :D

Originally posted by Zoomer
Try VCDEasy.

Zoomer, any feedback on VCDEasy. I know this is one of the most popular download on TUCOWS but I would prefer to have some handson review from somebody who has used it.

Originally posted by Mankul

I've tried 1) and 3) ....... I must say that the Ulead DVD Pictureshow have the BEST picture output while I can PUKE at the output from photo2vcd.....

BUT... I have this software which beats the competition HANDS DOWN :thumbsup: :D ....

its ProShow Gold by photodex corp.
The picture ouput is slightly worse compared to Ulead but its features its AWESOME and POWERPACKED and not forgetting that its very user-friendly.... you can create all sorts of format ...slideshow on vcd laaa...screensaver laa...executable slideshow laaaa... many features.... have transition effects laaa.. audio background laaa... can edit the pis slighty in the program la... put text in every pics laa... menus laaa.... diferrent backgrounds laaa....
not to forget the program is crash free and the encoding time is much faster than photo2vcd....

hhehe I know I"m making you drool : P ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

try searching the net for it.... if not successful well..... you can ask me privately for... *arhem* :D

Mankul, thanks for your contributions. Good to hear somebody else liking DVD PictureShow. While the picture quality is about the best there are a few areas to improve:
a) Put date/time stamp on pictures from EXIF
b) Put comments on photos either from EXIF or from the program
c) Transition effects
d)Supporting SVCD output

I've read about ProShow but yet to try it. Having seen your comments, I will want to try it out. ;p

I think Flipalbum can do photo album on vcd,

Anyone try it yet?

Me still sourcing...

Has anyone tried using flipalbum together with nero ?
The software used as example in the help section for burning vcd in flipalbum is not nero. So can I use both together ?
I can burn photo vcd with nero alone but there is no transition effect, background music etc.

Originally posted by drafting88
Maybe you can try Irfanview. Havent tried it on TV though.
Try it. It is a freeware.

http://www.irfanview.com/english.htm

IrfranView 3.75 is bloody good and free but I don't think it has the capability to output the slideshow to VCD MPEG1 format. It's great if you want to create slideshow (.SCR or .EXE) but it doesn't do VCD.

Originally posted by drafting88
Maybe you can try Irfanview. Havent tried it on TV though.
Try it. It is a freeware.

http://www.irfanview.com/english.htm

the brith place of the program author , jayce, Bosnia.

jajce_big1.jpg

so beautiful.... very sad that Bosnia was a war torn country :(

Status
Not open for further replies.