Transcend CF cards and MemoryWorld. Well Done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stratix

Oct 13, 2005
Guys, this is something i've got into today, and i thought, since more and more people are going into photography these days, thought this might be good for awareness. wall of text, but please read if you're interested.

I’ve a Transcend 2GB 120x (green) CF card, and it’s a blackhole. Pictures shot with it would be recorded as files which I cannot open. Not once, not twice, but on many occasions with the latest just on Sat.

I mean, I do shoot for an objective, as my job, and with this card, I’ve missed some of my greatest shots already.

Nvm about it. I went to it’s distributor Memory World for an exchange today. Met a nonchalant cheena man at the counter. I have seriously no grouches against chinaman, but this guy is really classic. Can still type on MSN when I’m right infront of him.

I told him my card is seriously screwed. He gave me a glimpse, and told me there wasn’t any stocks in a thick cheena accent. He then told me I have to wait THREE WEEKS for a replacement. wtf?

Alright, I tried to explain that I’ve already lots many good shots with it. Having a card down for 3 weeks is just like a double whammy. He told me “no choice. Sorry. Nothing we can do.”

Ok. I said fine. How about I top up for a higher speed card / higher capacity card whatever you have? He told me “sorry no other options. Where got you send in card, we give you something else even with topup?!”

HUH?!

Alright, then an elder Singaporean lady appeared, and I briefly explained my plight. She told me to produce a receipt or forget it. I asked her why, since it’s lifetime warranty? She told me it’s company policy and she fears parallel importers. HUH?x2 (I’m quite tech savvy and I don’t know transcend have parallel importers at all!)

Ok. Last chance. That cheenaman told me to wait for the boss. He appeared and I told him my plight again, and proposes for the topup for whatever he had in stocks. He replied “where got such thing? I’m quite sure NO ONE IN THE INDUSTRY DOES THIS.”

Hmm.

With one of my best 4 years spent dwelling in this industry, all distributers I know does this if the wait is anything more then a day.
Seriously. Poor product, poor service. I have a lexar 1GB card bought since my 300D days and despite the sticker on it is nothing more then a patch of white, it’s working damned well still!

Thank you Transcend. Kingston / Lexar / Sandisk cards works well AND they give great service too! I’m quite sure Convergent Systems (distributor for Kingston / Lexar) would gladly offer me a solution which I can continue shooting.

Think twice before buying transcend. Think thrice before buying anything from MemoryWorld.

Thanks for reading.

I suggest you print this page and then bring it to Memory world and tell them that their stellar service is now on Singapore's leading photography forum.

I suggest you print this page and then bring it to Memory world and tell them that their stellar service is now on Singapore's leading photography forum.

lol.

i cant stand it. seriously.

IMG_2528_small.jpg

Sim Lim Square or Funan Memory World ?

Maybe can engage a lawyer.

Haiz... sad to hear this ugly situation coming from Memory World... i used to work in the shop and there are a few things i like to point out with regards to this ugly scene...

Firstly, Memory World have these little stickers which they will paste on the card, and they will ask for your permission to cut open the packaging and stick it on when you decided to buy the card. Either times have changed and the stickers policy is no longer in use, or the salesperson forgot to stick it on. Or simply because the card is not bought in the shop. If it's not purchased from the shop, why would the shop even grant you any warranty exchanges?

Secondly, the faulty card have to be sent back to Taiwan in order to facilitate the exchange procedures. This has always been the case for cards that are no longer in stock. With regards to the topping up policy, it has been done before, but i guess the staff just unsure if you have actually bought the card from the shop.

Firstly, Memory World have these little stickers which they will paste on the card, and they will ask for your permission to cut open the packaging and stick it on when you decided to buy the card. Either times have changed and the stickers policy is no longer in use, or the salesperson forgot to stick it on. Or simply because the card is not bought in the shop. If it's not purchased from the shop, why would the shop even grant you any warranty exchanges

i bought my card from the trancend booth at the IT show in sept / dec 08. and no there wasnt such stickers on my card.

weird thing cos i do have another 8GB card i got sometime ago, and yes that came with the sticker which i stuck on myself!

Erm... I had a 512Mb Transcend card, which also had problems some time ago.
But that is not the point. :)

My point is the service/altitude I received when I was there (Funan). Leaves alot to be desired. Can feel Stratix frustration...
Just a voice out ;p

Any possibility to swap stickers? :p

i bought my card from the trancend booth at the IT show in sept / dec 08. and no there wasnt such stickers on my card.

weird thing cos i do have another 8GB card i got sometime ago, and yes that came with the sticker which i stuck on myself!

dude, Where got you send in card, we give you something else even with topup?!

dude, dont post this in hwz, people will laugh at you....

you said that you are not racist, but from your post , it is pretty obvious that you are.

bye.

Last edited:

you said that you are not racist, but from your post , it is pretty obvious that you are.

bye.

dun tell me u're the china man... :bsmilie:

bye.

hmmm. i did post on hwz (heck i posted in a thread even earlier then on CS!)

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/showthread.php?t=2425341

so far no one laugh at me leh. :dunno:

as for the racism part, please dont turn this into one. it wont work.

i mean, how racist towards chinamen can i be when i have a nice caring loving gf who came from china once upon a time?

no, i am been realistic, tell me a shop that will give you something else with topup. i will call up , speak to the boss and verify.....

period.

hmm. i'm sure i've been to this situation in a way or another numerous times, but this is about the first i met this kinda problem.

offhand i could remember:

Convergent System (Kingston / Lexar / Abit motherboards)
Corbell (MSI motherboards / Corsair RAMs, Antec PSUs)
Ban Leong (OCZ Memory, ASUS, Powercolour graphics cards)

Heck. even CANON offered me a topup option when my P&S camera had a fault that they didnt have stocks to replace.

*please get these numbers from yellowpages. call and verify, i'm quite sure they'll be happy to tell you this IS the industry practice.

bye.

the sandsk exchange centre in funan also gave bad services. They do not honor even if you have receipt. Memory world still do the exchange if the sticker is valid from them.

i got reminded by the regular salesman who i always go for from alan photo that when we buy sandisk product, we need to keep the box and the receipt of the sandisk card we bought if we want to claim warranty, there is a hologram stick on the box if you notice. The reason is that a lot of shops are bringing in parallel import sandisk cards or even fake sandisk cards.

I think TS is unlucky, my friend recently went to claim his warranty on his 4gb trancend card from Funan and the shop give him a 1-to-1 exchange.

Status
Not open for further replies.