Trans-Siberia Railway

JacePhoto

Oct 1, 2007
New York City
www.flickr.com
Hi All,

I am traveling on the Railway from Beijing to St Petersburg this sept 2009.

Does anyone has some inspiring photographs to share?

Thanks in advanced!

Cool! How long do you intend to travel on this journey?
I think you meant Sep 2010? I almost wanted to do the Trans-Siberian this Sep too! ;p

Hi All,

Thanks in advanced!

Pls tell us more on how one can go about doing this trip. Is it through travel agent? Self-planned? A website that you use and book? I am interested to do it. Must get away from all these "Wong Bros" travel itinerary that only takes us to shopping... I need to be more adventurous, before I cannot walk anymore or pay anymore for those overly priced jades of inferior quality, haha:)http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/images/cs/smilies/smile.gif

sounds fun... might be able to plan a trip like that with a few friends next year

travel report please! planning to go there before my next job starts!

Hi All,

Thanks in advanced!

wow, envy ... :)
but that's only the front-portion of the railway right ?
you can refer here, but its mainly from Russia onwards -
http://www.google.ru/intl/ru/landing/transsib/en.html

sounds like a great adventure! It's on my todo list somewhere...

can't wait to see the pictures and stories.

good luck and have fun!

oh man...i was planning that last year too. Lol, my really cheapo way is as below

1.fly airasia to Kl. Take a really cheapo flight from KL to shanghai. Muck around shanghai for 1-2 days
2. take train from shanghai to beijing. Muk around beijing for 1-2 days

and begin the journey proper. It takes a total of 6 nights and day of pure train travelling to travel that few thousands miles. the lonely planet i was reading mention that the REAL joy of this railway is to well sit and watch and maybe have a cup of coffee...the scenary/cultural/reglion changes.

You can choose to go pass monglia or the russia hinterland.
They recommend a few stops along the way like lake Bahkral and a couple of towns. Takes about 10 days.

You will end up in Moscow, which isn't really interesting...So pple recommend going down to St Pte.

From St Pte...and here's the part i didn't figure out to do cheaply, to get to london...And from london, airasia cheaply back to KL...

Well, the usual overland way is bus or train to Estonia or Finland, and onwards. But if u just wanna talk abt cost, in some parts, it may be cheaper to fly than to take train. But you'll get to London. Check out Seat 61 for the ultimate train info.

From St Pte...and here's the part i didn't figure out to do cheaply, to get to london...And from london, airasia cheaply back to KL...

Check this out. An Aussie based travel agency, last time I booked through STA in SG.

http://www.intrepidtravel.com/trips/ORL

I went on the trans-siberia railway trip in 2005... that's a long time ago. Followed the above itinerary and clocked a total of over 100 hours on trains. Ever since then, I fell madly in love with train travels ;)

On my trip, it was most fascinating to see the changing of train wheels at the Chinese border (apparently Russian & Mongolian rails are different from Chinese rail). And Lake Baikal was absolutely stunning!

Good luck on your trip.

oh man...i was planning that last year too. Lol, my really cheapo way is as below

1.fly airasia to Kl. Take a really cheapo flight from KL to shanghai. Muck around shanghai for 1-2 days
2. take train from shanghai to beijing. Muk around beijing for 1-2 days

and begin the journey proper. It takes a total of 6 nights and day of pure train travelling to travel that few thousands miles. the lonely planet i was reading mention that the REAL joy of this railway is to well sit and watch and maybe have a cup of coffee...the scenary/cultural/reglion changes.

You can choose to go pass monglia or the russia hinterland.
They recommend a few stops along the way like lake Bahkral and a couple of towns. Takes about 10 days.

You will end up in Moscow, which isn't really interesting...So pple recommend going down to St Pte.

Wow. Sounds like an epic journey!

This sounds like a really long and arduous journey but should be full of photograph opportunities.

from a trip on the trans siberian in 2002.. stop off in Mongolia and get out into the Gobi desert... Lake Baikal..is fantastic as well..

35205_136676693028941_135371259826151_279613_1942639_n.jpg

and now inside

37587_137424362954174_135371259826151_283811_394333_n.jpg