Tranquility

bragbig

Jun 6, 2010
Singapore / Woodlands
5305843923_f1fbf3b279_b.jpg

1. In what area is critique to be sought?

Colour saturation, Contrast, Tone, exposure, Framing are also welcome.

2.what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

A feeling calm and tranquil place in life

3.under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

Cloudy Skies, Bright Day light

4.what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

Gives the feeling of a peaceful place and to sought tranquility in life

Last edited:
Find the picture horizon is slanted to the right. The road/lane is cut off at the bottom-left of the picture, would prefer it to be there.
Find the sky overexposed and not that interesting.

Hi bro,
Personally I don't see the tranquil look in this picture. The cut off at the left side is a bit abrupt for me. Some blown highlights in the photo.
Framing wise should be okay, but watch for horizon tilt.

Don't really feel the tranquillity..

Pan more to the left to avoid the abrupt cut off of the road and to remove the bench at the right.
Sky is almost completely blown up, I suggest going back at a later time when sunlight is less harsh.

My opinion is that its difficult for bright pictures to exude tranquility. Dimmer lighting conditions would probably be better. Perhaps leaving the road out would improve your "tranquility" composition. Calm smoother waters might do the job...my 2 cts..

Jon

the sky is overexposed, slanted horizon(sth i just learned as well :D), the cut off on the left is not so good too..

vivid colours though.. :)

keep shooting!

I don't feel the "Tranquility" in the photo. Looks like a landscape shot to me. The river and the sky is washed out and the horizon is tilted to the right. Although I would say it's a good attempt in using lines and patterns(the lamppost) to try and bring out a tranquil and solitude feeling, I still think it lacks the punch. However to get the punch, composition must be improved, although that's not you are requesting critique for... :sweatsm:

I think this is a good start in composition that you attempted to use the curved concrete barriers to lead your viewers into the image. However, the problem here is that there is no interesting subject to lead the viewers into. Secondly, the curve is not continuous, it got clipped on the left of the frame. I find that the 1/2 bench on the right side of the frame is a distraction. If you understand the rules of thirds for composition, you would notice that the initial attention of viewers is actually steered to the bushes on the bottom right thirds of the frame. Like many have mentioned, the horizon is slanted. Don't be discouraged, shoot more and improve :)

Last edited:
I knw the distraction of the half chair on the right after pp the picture. But then it have already been uploaded. All this critique drive me to improve.

Thanks so much to all that have responded. Will find time to shoot more. But jus curious on how to get a blue sky? Everytime I shoot it's seems wash off.

I knw the distraction of the half chair on the right after pp the picture. But then it have already been uploaded. All this critique drive me to improve.

Thanks so much to all that have responded. Will find time to shoot more. But jus curious on how to get a blue sky? Everytime I shoot it's seems wash off.

Expose for the sky by metering the sky.

Or

Shoot when the dynamic range of the scene isn't so large

Or

Do a HDR