Tranquility

- nAstAr -

Jun 6, 2010
East
5050383446_40caba4270_b.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
composition, techniques and mood of the picture

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
I want to capture a sense of peace of the whole scenery

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Disappointed with the sunset, I decided to wait until the lights are on. As it gets darker, people started to leave the jetty, and in the end there’s only this uncle left.
That was when I realized how peacefull the place was.
This photo was taken with Canon 40D & 18-200mm, F/10, exposure 56”, ISO 160

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
A higher angle can improve the picture, so the uncle’s hair won’t merge with the trees (but when I re-adjust my tripod to take the 2nd shot the uncle get up n left :cry:)
Generally I’m happy with this picture coz it’s quite close to what I have in mind.

C&C are most welcome ;)

its very well taken and very aptly processed. Wait a min 56" exposure? And that guy was sitting there without movement? Wow...

That said, its rather unfortunate that the guy's head blended in with the forest trees. Its a really pity and something that cannot be ignored! Now it looks like a headless person, and very distracting!

Next time maybe note that and use a higher tripod? If you really wanna save this picture, lighten up the greens might help. :)

Great effort.

Oh another area of improvement? If I were you, I'll get my uncle to go back and sit for another min while I readjust the tripod. Great pictures sometimes need extra effort. :)

its very well taken and very aptly processed. Wait a min 56" exposure? And that guy was sitting there without movement? Wow...

That said, its rather unfortunate that the guy's head blended in with the forest trees. Its a really pity and something that cannot be ignored! Now it looks like a headless person, and very distracting!

Next time maybe note that and use a higher tripod? If you really wanna save this picture, lighten up the greens might help. :)

Great effort.

Oh another area of improvement? If I were you, I'll get my uncle to go back and sit for another min while I readjust the tripod. Great pictures sometimes need extra effort. :)

Yes, 56" indeed, amazing right? I think he was meditating

At that time I set my tripod on a lowest height, bcoz I was experimenting with low angle.
Then suddenly the moment appear and I was just to excited to capture it and I forgot to take this blending problem into consideration while I composed my picture.

Actually asking the uncle to pose for me will be the best solution.
One more thing to add in on my need-to-learn list:
- composition
- technique
- conveying a message
- being more thick-skinned ;p

Thank you for your comments, pegasus7777777

Im sure you meant 59 seconds, not minutes. Pretty decent shot.

I see a little tilt in the horizon though, might want to correct that PP.

Veery nice feel...

the only point to make is the guys head blending in with the trees..

Thanks for your kind words, guys.
It's really encouraging :)

Veery nice feel...

the only point to make is the guys head blending in with the trees..

Im sure you meant 59 seconds, not minutes. Pretty decent shot.

I see a little tilt in the horizon though, might want to correct that PP.

Thanks for your kind words, guys.
It's really encouraging :)

I think the execution could have been better.

Adjusting your tripod to a higher height would allow space between the man's head and the trees. It would also give you a nicer leading line into the photo as the jetty would be viewed from a higher angle and hence appear less flat in the photo.

I actually shot a very similar shot before (here)- hope you can visualise what it means to shoot at a higher angle by looking at this.

The exposure for my photo was 10'', which is sufficient for the water to be smooth enough. Yup just to let you know, in case you're worried in future that whoever is meditating (and people do go there quite often to meditate) moves away.

Hope this helps :)
AC

I think the execution could have been better.

Adjusting your tripod to a higher height would allow space between the man's head and the trees. It would also give you a nicer leading line into the photo as the jetty would be viewed from a higher angle and hence appear less flat in the photo.

I actually shot a very similar shot before (here)- hope you can visualise what it means to shoot at a higher angle by looking at this.

The exposure for my photo was 10'', which is sufficient for the water to be smooth enough. Yup just to let you know, in case you're worried in future that whoever is meditating (and people do go there quite often to meditate) moves away.

Hope this helps :)
AC

First of all, nicely done, i like the way tranquility is displayed throught the calm water, clear sky, clean platform and ending with the guy in deep thought.

And i agree that not merging his hair with the trees will be a much better shot.

And you can consider how candycaine compose the shot, by placing the subject inbetween the trees, so that you can make use of the leading lines of the trees to lead your viewers to the subject.