Train commuters who cheat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baracus

Mar 24, 2008
The Far East
Taken from Straits Times online forum:

MUCH has been said about fare-cheating passengers in buses. There is another type of fare cheaters - those who take the MRT.
These are the ones who board the train at the station before the last one on the route. They do not alight at the last station, but remain in the trains and continue their journey when the train starts again.

I have observed that this occurs in two stations - Tampines and Raffles Place. Those who board the train at Tampines remain in their seats at Pasir Ris and continue their journey towards Boon Lay. Similarly, those who board at Raffles Place do not alight at Marina Bay, but continue their journey in the same train towards Jurong East.

As this happens during peak hours, those who are waiting for the trains at Pasir Ris to proceed towards Boon Lay and those at Raffles Place waiting to proceed towards Jurong East are put to hardship. The trains are almost fully occupied and they have to wait for the next train to get a seat - provided that the train too is also not filled up by these free-riders. Secondly, these people are not only enjoying a free ride at the expense of those who are paying the full fare, but they are also preventing the fare-paying passengers from having a comfortable journey. Perhaps, SMRT could make announcements requesting passengers not to indulge in such acts.

Wah, just because he cannot find a seat, condemn until like that?:bigeyes:
So, if I take feeder bus service that loops around the estate considered the same?

this type of people is just plain stupid and/or just sore about not having his seat

at peak hour in the evenings and if your journey is like from cityhall to yishun/woodlands/jurong, the standing time is no joke, especially if you're carrying heavy stuff or just plain tired.

i seriously dont think this is cheating at all.

if you consider this as cheating then how about those who take trains to another station, but alight the train, yet not cross the gantry (maybe to pass friends some stuff), then take train back to the original station?

i think the guy who complained is such over not having any seats, and too lazy to take the train to another station to get the seats. (you do need to sacrifice a bit of time, i feel it's fair enough)

Taken from Straits Times online forum:

Wah, just because he cannot find a seat, condemn until like that?:bigeyes:
So, if I take feeder bus service that loops around the estate considered the same?

like that called cheating huh

:dunno:

He/she is probably one of the typical Singaporeans who don't give up their seats to the elderly or others who need it more.

Or those who duno how to move left on the escalator to allow people in a hurry to walk up/down the escalator.

Or those who duno how to move left on the escalator to allow people in a hurry to walk up/down the escalator.

this incidentally, is something that london has over singapore, i admit :bsmilie:

I dun see how this is cheating... they still pay for their fares frm tampines to whereever they alight mah.. but of cos they waste some time in the process mabbe 10mins (frm Tampines to Pasir and back)... No seat, no seat lor...

I stay in CCK, at neither ends thus always no seats. even if someone gets up the empty seat almost immediately taken up by aunties and uncles ..they are very fast hor...

Thus whenever i take MRT (even to Changi Airport) always standing :dunno:

I dun see how this is cheating... they still pay for their fares frm tampines to whereever they alight mah.. but of cos they waste some time in the process mabbe 10mins (frm Tampines to Pasir and back)... No seat, no seat lor...

I stay in CCK, at neither ends thus always no seats. even if someone gets up the empty seat almost immediately taken up by aunties and uncles ..they are very fast hor...

what a moron. i don't call this cheating. i don't call this free-rides too. if i am willing to sacrifice my time just to get a seat on a long journey home... so be it. nothing wrong with that. it's a matter of choice.

Maybe SMRT should have carriages for seating and non seating. Seating pay more , standing pay less. one way to work is to install card reader on every seats, the longer you seat the more they deduct from your ex-link card, no card, got buzzer/becon light to irritate you and an instant camera to take photo of cheaters. BTW I always have to stand on trains, no chance for me to seat at all. How come cars/taxi/bus/lorry etc all have max number of passenger but not MRT? why??

Maybe SMRT should have carriages for seating and non seating. Seating pay more , standing pay less. one way to work is to install card reader on every seats, the longer you seat the more they deduct from your ex-link card, no card, got buzzer/becon light to irritate you and an instant camera to take photo of cheaters. BTW I always have to stand on trains, no chance for me to seat at all. How come cars/taxi/bus/lorry etc all have max number of passenger but not MRT? why??

actually is e limit strictly followed? can squeeze squeeze de. e idea of sitting passangers paying more is hard to enforce, enforcement measures will further increase price unneccessarily. flaunting e rules by overloading passangers but never heard public transport operators get fined (then yet an excuse to up fares again- merry go round).

then do baby strollers, people w/ bulky items & wheel chair bound users need to pay more cos more space is taken up?

If you look beyond the knee jerk reaction (this guy is such a whiner, and I feel he is), he actually seems to have a point.

Because in theory the fare you're paying is for use of the service from point B to point A (say Tampines to City hall), while guy B pays a slightly higher fare from point C (Pasir Ris) to point A for use of the service because he's taking that one extra stop and thus taking up passenger load + fuel (probably negligible save for the sake of argument).

Thus if you take the train in the opposite direction from Tampines to Pasir Ris, then back through to Tampines and to City hall, you are in actual fact taking two extra stops, one more than the guy who has paid more for one more stop than you. You have therefore "cheated" on two stations!

This is a good idea actually but very hard to implement. It is theoretically not fair for someone standing and someone seating to pay the same price, but this cannot be enforced so they can only charge the same fare. To install card reader on every seat is not economically feasible too. You think to install a card reader is cheap ah... it's not.

Perhaps they can make trains with only seating spaces in future (just rows of seats with no space to stand and only an isle for walking to your seat and perhaps an electronic system that lets you know how many available seats there are) and charge a different fare for these sure-get-seat trains.

How come cars/taxi/bus/lorry etc all have max number of passenger but not MRT? Well, cars, taxi and lorry have a small max passenger no. so pretty much, one look and you will know if it has been exceeded or not. So it's much easier to enforce. But if u can cram 10 people into a small car (not SUV) and no traffic police sees you, you can also drive around fine... slower only... slower acceleration. Bus have max no. but during peak hours also cram until the door can barely close. You think the max no. has been exceeded or not? Also not really enforced... nobody cares and it's too hard when demand is far greater than supply.

For mrt, in theory, there is a max no. too. I'm guessing that due to the mechanism of mrt (it's a train... moves on rails, unlike the other wheels on roads vehicles), the max. no. of passengers is much higher and it is probably impossible to be exceeded so there is no point/need to state this.

Btw, I think limiting the no. of passengers in vehicles is for protecting the road, especially bridges. There is a max load that roads and bridges can take.

I think the limiting max number of passengers in vehicles is more a safety concern than weight limit for the roads and bridges. Factors to be considered include the car's safety features, seat belts, airbags etc. While the increase weight slowing down car acceleration is of little concern, it can become a BIG problem when you want to stop in time. :)

If you look beyond the knee jerk reaction (this guy is such a whiner, and I feel he is), he actually seems to have a point.

Because in theory the fare you're paying is for use of the service from point B to point A (say Tampines to City hall), while guy B pays a slightly higher fare from point C (Pasir Ris) to point A for use of the service because he's taking that one extra stop and thus taking up passenger load + fuel (probably negligible save for the sake of argument).

Thus if you take the train in the opposite direction from Tampines to Pasir Ris, then back through to Tampines and to City hall, you are in actual fact taking two extra stops, one more than the guy who has paid more for one more stop than you. You have therefore "cheated" on two stations!

if this theory was put onto roads, im sure they would wanna charge "erp" according to how much road you actually covered, and charge passengers on how much distance they covered while in the train and how much space they occupy? :bsmilie:

If the supply > demand then this kind of issue is non existent at all....unfortunately in our world.....demand is always > supply :sweat:

IMO there is no right or wrong, otherwise the gov will FINE you :) It is about ethical or not ethical....just like chop seat with tissue paper.....q overnight for some good deal etc etc.....people who is thick skin....always has the upper hand :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.