Traffice police letter to appear in court!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

frusdriver

I have just received a letter from Traffic Police to appear in court for driving above the imposed speed limit. The frustrating thing is that I don't even know which part of the road they stated that the offence took place! There is no 50kmph speed limit along the stretch of the road they stated as well!!
Anyone knows what would happen in court? Beside stating 12 demerit points, no fine amount was stated, does that mean I will have to pay a very heavy fine like $1000? I can appeal before I appear in court??

Thanks!

Juz follow da instructions. And of cos, I believe if they tell u to appear in court instead of sending the summons to your home, it prolly means that u broke the speed limit way above 50km/h.

So, too bad. Its prolly quite a heavy fine. And DON'T SPEED!

bonus time mah, so money more impt now.

spend money buy all the speed trap equipment (investment), then catch more offenders (returns + bonus) ... seems like TP new strategy.

Yeowww said:

spend money buy all the speed trap equipment (investment), then catch more offenders (returns + bonus) ... seems like TP new strategy.

:bsmilie:.....

Yeowww said:

bonus take already... now is to get BIG ang bao! :bsmilie:

err..anyone got application form to join the Police Force??? :sticktong

Too bad. I'll rather give the money to tsunami victims than to the gov this way. Next time, just drive at traffic speed you should be alright.

which stretch of road is it?

nova_nebula said:
Too bad. I'll rather give the money to tsunami victims than to the gov this way. Next time, just drive at traffic speed you should be alright.

many times u will be driving over the limit la.... the whole road empty u drive at 50km/h..???..

zaren - they are sneaky, for their ang pow money, hehehe , they will not let you get away :bsmilie:

be afraid, be very afraid .... :sweat:

Read the forum in the Straits Times today. Someone else had the same complaint. I am wondering why the police did not ask you to compound the offence and instead asked you to appear in court.

If the police asked a driver to appear in court in court stating 12 demerit points, the driver is usually being prosecuted for driving at a speed that is 40kph to 50ph higher than the speed limit. E.g., 90kph on a 50kph road

Had you been travelling at 90 to 100 kph on roads without any speed limit signs?

If the driver drives 50kph to 60kph above the speed limit, he gets 18 demerit points. More than 60kph, 24 demerit points.

Once the driver goes more than 40kph above the speed limit, the driver will be prosecuted in court without being offered a composition of fine. He can only make his appeal in court before the judge. The fine for going 40kph for first offender is usually about $200 but can be more depending on circumstances. E.g., if the judge believes the offender is wasting everyone's time by denying the charges despite overwhelming evidence that state otherwise, he can order the offender to pay the top limit of the fine ($2,000--I think).

By the way, a composition of fine is something like an offer made by the government to the accused to pay to avoid inconvenience of prosecuting minor offences. An offender may choose to appeal and/or refuse the offer of composition, the agency who made the offer may then choose to accept the appeal or prosecute the offender in court.

Travelling at more than 40kph above the speed limit is dangerous driving, and is a serious offence which the offender cannot be given an offer to composite the fine. The offender must be prosecuted in court.

Claiming ignorance of speed limit is usually not good enough material in court. Singapore like most countries in the world has a default speed limit when there are no posted speed limit. Singapore's default limit is 50kph.

Yeowww said:
many times u will be driving over the limit la.... the whole road empty u drive at 50km/h..???..

zaren - they are sneaky, for their ang pow money, hehehe , they will not let you get away :bsmilie:

be afraid, be very afraid .... :sweat:

Driver driving 70kph or less on a 50kph road will usually be offered a composition of fine and a chance to appeal. 12 demerit points mean 90kph on a 50kph road. Very difficult to justify even if the whole road is empty. :nono:

Agreed that the police are sneaky. They don't usually issue tickets unless they are very sure that the drivers cannot deny the charges made.

The irony is that Singapore drivers are angry because many of our Police don't accept Ang Pow money. The impression is that the neighbouring country is friendlier because they do. ;)

Anyway for most, it's the demerit points that hurt. The final fine in this case is probaly less than what some people pay to the Army for AWOL from IPPT and RT.

The only thing I can say against the police in these series of actions is that they don't stop the offender in the act and issue the ticket there and then. In most countries, this is not acceptable because the drivers are placed in a unfair disadvantage of not knowing that they have done wrong until they appear in court.

not turning up in court may mean a warrant of arrest for you. this happened to an acquaintance who forgot to turn up.

Yeowww said:
err..anyone got application form to join the Police Force??? :sticktong
Seems that a lot of people have this very negative impression of both Policemen and Civil Servants.

I wonder why... :think:

reachme2003 said:
not turning up in court may mean a warrant of arrest for you. this happened to an acquaintance who forgot to turn up.
I can't believe it...

FORGET? :bigeyes:

Your acquaintance certainly got some guts there.

taku1a said:
The irony is that Singapore drivers are angry because many of our Police don't accept Ang Pow money. The impression is that the neighbouring country is friendlier because they do. ;)

This is the the misinformation of the year. Where do you get to such conclusion. I prefer our police not to be corrupt.

jsbn said:
Seems that a lot of people have this very negative impression of both Policemen and Civil Servants.

One reason is probably becos most of the people in this category have not travelled or lived overseas very much or long enough to know how the authorities there handle people (in terms of friendliness and no-nonsense zero tolerance attitude).

And perhaps it's very easy to form miguided perceptions of situations or circumstances that are unfamiliar to us.

jsbn said:
I can't believe it...

FORGET? :bigeyes:

Your acquaintance certainly got some guts there.

i do not think that he did it deliberately. by the time he realised it, it was about 2 hours later than the court apptm time.

jsbn said:

the police, in general, is doing a good job in terms of security. on the other hand, could it be that we are 'brainwashed' into being obedient since young...but that's another story.

specifically im talking abt the TP. somehow they do 'missed' out on those big trucks/trailers that are speeding or 'bullying' other road users. if there is only a handful of cars there and are speeding, then i understand. but then if traffic flow is low, what are they doing there instead of to some accident-prone areas? where is the priority?? The priority now seem to catch more offenders, fine them!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.