Traffic Police Look-out Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcwang

Jan 9, 2003
East Singapore
www.pbase.com
These days the roads are even more strictly governed. Mobile Speed Cameras (Nikon seriously), Plain Cloths policemen that hang around just to copy down your license plate, etc etc. I just find these quite simply a road hazard. Drivers now keep their eyes off the road and onto the Sidewalks, Overhead Bridges looking out for such cameras. Its just not the way to do things.

So, lets keep a look out for each other.

If you see anything on the roads, post it here, so we can save abit of money and not be totally paranoid.

To start off....... let me warn you.

Keep off the BUS LANES! Traffic police has engaged 4 wardens just to catch drivers on the bus lanes. They can be standing anywhere. There are some targeted area, like Upp. Serangoon Road.

Also ! Watch the blardy double white lines. My dad got a fine the other day, 4 demerit points and $180.

Speed cameras were seen on Braddel Road, one of the overhead bridges... . Braddel road has now become really easy to drive quickly on, so watch the speed. I knw its pretty easy to hit 90-100 on braddel, but the limit is 60 remember. Over 100, its a court case man.

So.......... post your observatiions here alright ? :thumbsup:

Urm. Double whitelines are a :nono: for crossing, this is taught in the theories and practicals.

Frankly, if you drive conciously as a good driver, you won't have to bother with so much of the wardens & fines :)

espn said:
Frankly, if you drive conciously as a good driver, you won't have to bother with so much of the wardens & fines :)
You really think so? I think it depends a lot on your luck too coz everyone does make some "mistakes" once in a while.
Can you imagine driving at below 60kmph along some stretch of roads..... But everyone should be extra careful during this festive time .... watch out for:
hidden cameraman along the main expressways, try to stay below 100kmph, NEVER use any mobile phones/gadgets even when you are parking alongside on a road, even when you are IN the carparks of the HDB or without reach of your landed homes, i understand evern wire headphones are illegal as well as Bluetooth, ....and of course, when drink, dont ever drive.... not worth at all.
Best wishes......

Seriously, yes, I do.

Speed limits are there for our safety, perhaps a little toooooo conservative along some stretches of road.

I don't pick up my phone regardless of it's with the ear piece or not. The person will have to wait until I reach my destination before I answer/reply.

It really boils down to how you choose to drive.

it seems if one uses a handphone without hand free set while driving, the appropriate offence is dangerous driving. there is no offence specifically. personally, i have seen too many motorists doing it.

but there are drivers who drives with one hand at times, especially at long stretch of roads.

personally, i feel engaging in a conversation using a handphone with/out hands while driving is a risk.

u r right...

i was using my handphone in the car which was parked in my HDB carpark lot but with engine running while waiting for my wife when a TP on motorcycle drove passed when he was on his way to visit his colleagues in the neighborhood police post. He saw me and i was ****ed.

Next time, when you use a phone, step out of the car.

Canonised said:
NEVER use any mobile phones/gadgets even when you are parking alongside on a road, even when you are IN the carparks of the HDB or without reach of your landed homes,Best wishes......

They show on television where the speed cameras are located :)
but during Christmas time, and this double-demerit season, they don't want to advertise it :)

Last week, a P-plater lost his license when he was caught speeding through the tunnel, he overtook the police. Lost 12 demerit points or something, because of double demerit :p His excuse was that he was "listening to the exhaust"

Recently I saw white volvo's with QX plate... by the road shoulder @ ECP via airport but dunno whether they r TP's.

Road blocks on some wed , fri/sat @ AMK ave10, ave 5 sometimes even ave 3 so if u drink and goin to AMK exit via lentor..

Another spot i saw a "sniper" on the bridge @ Bedok reservoir PIE via jurong with a camera... when i saw that i hope can high beam into his lens.. :bsmilie:

Afriendly reminder guys.. drive carefully esp. this festive season... there is no need to "donate" yur ERS

Digital Rebel said:
u r right...

i was using my handphone in the car which was parked in my HDB carpark lot but with engine running while waiting for my wife when a TP on motorcycle drove passed when he was on his way to visit his colleagues in the neighborhood police post. He saw me and i was ****ed.

Next time, when you use a phone, step out of the car.

my friend uses his mobile to call his wife to come down while he parked at the entrance of the office building (Harbourlight) and he got lectured and "threatened" for more than 15 minutes by a neighourhood police car, with his IC and licence kanna recorded, and hp threatened to be consificated..... now he is waiting for his summon (probably 6 month suspension)....
this country has given these "young" policemen and traffic wardens too much power ..... they can destroy a person's career (especially those in the sales) or sleepless nights by just giving or threatening them with a license suspension over such non crimminal offences.

This is the legacy of the Old Man who left in charge of the country to his young punks. The future of this country would not outlast one or two generation down.

Canonised said:
this country has given these "young" policemen and traffic wardens too much power ..... they can destroy a person's career (especially those in the sales) or sleepless nights by just giving or threatening them with a license suspension over such non crimminal offences.

Better to cut your loss at $50 than to let the running dog of a court :) :) :) hand you a heavier fine.

Pro-New said:
You think I should go to court to explain that I was on the way to repair the faulty guage or plead guilty of "failure to maintain the fuel guage in proper working condition" as in the offence?

There are a couple of things, more distracting that Handphone Driving.

- For one, meddling with the GPS,
- Looking at the CD player and browsing for a channel
- Talking to another person in the car, maintaining eye contact every minute or so.

Pro-New said:
I was detained for half hour at the checkpoint when I declare my fuel guage not working (actually they never spotted it yet, and my purpose is to ask for 'dip check') on the way to JB to repair.
Now I have a summon from LTA and a compound fine of $50 or attend court.

You think I should go to court to explain that I was on the way to repair the faulty guage or plead guilty of "failure to maintain the fuel guage in proper working condition" as in the offence?

bring the repair receipt you got from JB to show to the court, then you should be fine.

I tend to agree with espn, if you guys follow the rules, why worry?

However, i didn't know that one can't drive with a hand free set? Singapore rules so strict? my understanding is that Malaysia ok.

What ****ing rotten news for Christmas. I was thinking of getting my driving license next year...but with all these obselete rules and regulations by our F***** up govt, I seriously think twice if it is nesscary or not...

[/QUOTE]

whtie volvos are used by security police aka body guards, but usually with pte plates and hav a long LED display panel at the back to flash msg if they are on active duty.

QX volvos could be just some snr civil servants.[/QUOTE]

from Police Security Branch. Our snr civil servants do not go around their business in QX plate volvos.

For fellow Drivers out there.
Location of new mobile speed cameras
duration from 25th dec 2004 till 1st jan 2005

1. Amk ave 5, small rd, speed limit is 50
2. yio chu kang rd, from cte exit yck to hougang/serangoon/amk junction.speed limit is 50
3. Punggol exit from sle/tpe
4. Serangoon north ave 1 speed limit is 50
5. upper thomson rd, heading towards amk speed limit is 50
6. upper changi rd north
7. toa payoh lorong 4
8. Orchard Rd, after Wheelock
9. Princep street
10. chinatown

that;s all i remember, drice safely and within the rd limit ya? Cheers fellas!

Thanks Malakite.

Damn, I'm getting pissed. They are all around me (staying serangoon, frequent punggol). Seriously, even the safest, more conscious drivers dont drive at 50kmh on the normal roads. And did they miss out on the West ?

Are these operational 24hrs a day ? How do they look like ?

hi bro, where did u get this info from? I live along one of those roads

seriously, 50kmh speed limit is REALLY REALLY very slow.... the normal road limit is 70 on some roads, and even that is darn slow oredi!

haha tis a whole island thingie.. but i only paid attention to the places i frequent hehehe.

it's just a small camera, looks like the stuff u see on tv, like in american cop shows? or like that french film, Taxi? just like dat, i've seen does that are mounted inside a van, unmared, and those that are just hidden in the bushes next to the rd.

yeah i agree crap rite? who drives at 50? mebbe the rd rules need to be rechecked....

onli time i drove at 50 was when i was driving for the army
wahahahah

actually, th normal speed linit for most rd is 50 to 60, everyone just thinks it's at 70,

info given from my fren in tp, he was warnin me not to speed as he knoes how much i cherish my license, slogged hard for 2 yrs to get it...

plus i usually get tip offs abt rd block and dat kinda stuff...

Status
Not open for further replies.