Traffic lights

They forgotten our traffic light timing here is non standard. Somebody ever share that it is so smart that the duration changes according to traffic condition. So how do motorists going to guess when it will be faster than usual? For me, it is not the interval that is annoying, it is the speed of change from green to red that you got to guess.
Once the electronics have 'decided' about the timing for red and green it is easily put on any countdown display. Technically simple. Nothing to guess.

The fact that many motorists sped pass these traffic lights show the timing has problem.
No, the people have a problem in their mind to respect the red light and those people who have green in the meantime. Change the timing and still people will beat the red light. There is no technical solution for a social problem.

Once the electronics have 'decided' about the timing for red and green it is easily put on any countdown display. Technically simple. Nothing to guess.

I am afraid I cannot agree with you. When you have timing between change of light differs for each and every traffic light, there will be a lot of guessing work. Either you slow down for no apparent reasons or you just drive on despite the light changing. The timing for the duration from green to red can differ but from green to amber to red, they must be fixed.

No, the people have a problem in their mind to respect the red light and those people who have green in the meantime. Change the timing and still people will beat the red light. There is no technical solution for a social problem.

If they have given enough time for everyone to respond, then beating the red light is a personal problems. Generally, you don't see drivers speeding to beat the ERP gantry despite the clock ticking away.

I am afraid I cannot agree with you. When you have timing between change of light differs for each and every traffic light, there will be a lot of guessing work. Either you slow down for no apparent reasons or you just drive on despite the light changing. The timing for the duration from green to red can differ but from green to amber to red, they must be fixed.
I refer to the timing / length of the red and green phase. This is adjusted by the sensors on the road detecting the actual traffic. Displaying this is no issue.
The timing of the phases in between (green to amber, amber to red) is fixed. You can actually check with your watch.

I refer to the timing / length of the red and green phase. This is adjusted by the sensors on the road detecting the actual traffic. Displaying this is no issue.
The timing of the phases in between (green to amber, amber to red) is fixed. You can actually check with your watch.

Thank you for clarifying. I must admit I have never time it but my guts feel is they aren't the same for all traffic light. Hope I am wrong. Thanks again.

Thank you for clarifying. I must admit I have never time it but my guts feel is they aren't the same for all traffic light. Hope I am wrong. Thanks again.
Yes, they are different. For instance, the timing from Red for one direction to Green for the other direction differs between 3s and 5s. I suspect the longer time is for larger junctions, acting as safety buffer to allow the clearing of junction.
Sad to say, this 'clearing buffer' is abused by some people to beat the red light. There are simply not enough red light cameras.

Countdown timers work for pedestrians but not drivers

Drivers tend to overestimate the ability of their cars to make it before timer goes to "0", increasing the risk of accidents

Eg, if timer left 3 seconds, the pedestrian will think twice or thrice, and probably decide not to start to cross the road. However some motorist may take the chance.

Drivers tend to overestimate the ability of their cars to make it before timer goes to "0", increasing the risk of accidents

Eg, if timer left 3 seconds, the pedestrian will think twice or thrice, and probably decide not to start to cross the road. However some motorist may take the chance.

People still dash across even left with few seconds on counter at pedestrian crossing. Counter at traffic light is to allows driver to know whether the amber light changing soon or not. Anyway, it's up to individual no matter whatever safety measures used.

OK, we live in Singapore. Since LTA wants us to guess, we will try to guess them right. :dunno:

Yes, they are different. For instance, the timing from Red for one direction to Green for the other direction differs between 3s and 5s. I suspect the longer time is for larger junctions, acting as safety buffer to allow the clearing of junction.
Sad to say, this 'clearing buffer' is abused by some people to beat the red light. There are simply not enough red light cameras.

They claim our traffic is run by system. To me, it's BS.

I drive daily but always see jams that are made worse by the stupid traffic lights.

I had to write in to LTA to complain abt certain traffic lights. Then they reply that they will adjust the timing

What system?! Manual system, is it?

People still dash across even left with few seconds on counter at pedestrian crossing. Counter at traffic light is to allows driver to know whether the amber light changing soon or not. Anyway, it's up to individual no matter whatever safety measures used.
there is the greater risk of the reverse scenario i.e. Drivers, instead of pedestrians, dash across with few seconds left. And that's why I feel LTA's decision make sense

There was a TED speaker who mentioned traffic light timers. In the example he gave, timers that countdown to the light turning green seemed to calm impatient drivers (the KNOW how much time is left). And I guess if its a long time, some will turn off engines.
He also cited a reverse implementation somewhere it China, with the lights counting down to red. Didn't work out so well -- as you'd expect, many sped up from a long way off to beat the red!

I just witness a bus try to beat a right turn light this afternoon. Ended up jam break and blocks the pedestrian path and light. I pity those on the bus when he jams break.

Since the pedestrian light got count down, why not for vehicle side? Like 30 to 60 (depends on traffic) for green, 5 to 10 for amber? Then at least driver know the whether having the enough time to cross and not try to beat red light? But the design need to change to square ;p But pedestrian side, red also got people cross, haha!

LTA bo lui lah.

This.

With the countdown timer, pedestrians can judge whether they wanna dash across. The judgement is often accurate and wrong judgement is rarely fatal. A running pedestrians on a light in their favor turning red is not a road hazard. There will be some buffer after the man turns red and before the light for the cars turn green.

On the other hand, countdown timer for the cars will only encourage speeding to attempt to beat the traffic light if they knew how many seconds left before the light turns red. Any judgement error is potentially fatal. A speeding car is always a road hazard (regardless of the colour of the traffic light), unlike a dashing pedestrians with the light in their favor.

The current amber light is sufficient indication for the drivers to slow down. There is no need for a timer.

2 seconds is sufficient for a running pedestrian to cross.

A dashing pedestrian with the light in his favor but turning red is not a road hazard. But a speeding car with the light in their favor but turning red is a road hazard. If the pedestrian didn't clear the road before the light changes, they are unlikely to hit someone and cause accidents. But if a car couldn't clear the crossing before the light change, it might cause accidents.