Trading sony for canon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyler-pack14

Jun 26, 2009
Im thinking about getting rid of my a200 and all of the accessories for the Canon 40D.
Of course from canon users, you will probably say go for it. But how many say no?
I mean, if you do use a sony, or would use one, why?

I just want to step it up a notch, and sony just doesnt seem to have anything good out.

I really like the features of the 40D and almost everything about it.
But do you think my a200 and everything i have is worth the canon 40d body and kit lens alone?

Wy dun you share with us where's the constraints of your Sony A200 first?

I guess your asking about the "flaws"

I dont know, i just think canon has a better selection in lenses.
The 40D has 6.5fps, which is a must have to me, i do skateboarding sequence shots, so i would love to have that.
Plus i would like to have live veiw, that is if i ever need it.
More than likely wont use it, but its the comfort of having it just in case i do want to use it.
I get migrains, and staring through a tiny square doesnt help much. Exspecially with a camera, you strain soo much it seems.

The a200 is a great camera dont get me wrong.
i just would like some of the features of the 40D much much better

I dont know, i just think canon has a better selection in lenses.
:thumbsup: One of the reasons for me...and the godzillions I reckon.

i just would like some of the features of the 40D much much better
Features in camera is an individual preference – if you find 40D to suit you better then it will do you good. Others who may say the a200 to be better would prolly be because they don't find any of the features in the 40D worth spending on. Boils down on what you need. Just remember, there's always a 'better' camera regardless of what you own.

Yes, canon has a big selection of good lenses, especially the primes, but the question is, do you plan to be collecting them? Having said that, I think 3rd party canon mount lens are more common.

If I were you, I will wait for the A700 replacement or maybe wait for the rumoured A500...

If you want the 40D, it will be because of the...

-bigger grip, stronger but heavier body
-top lcd
-larger viewfinder
-better high iso performance
-liveview, but the AF in liveview is really really slow.
-more buttons and the jog-pad wheel that allows for faster changing of settings...

but most importantly, you will lose the in-body IS, which I assume is not important for actions shots you are doing.

Ever consider a body with video function? That might work for skateboarding...

Yeah all of those are what im looking for in a camera.
Sony just doesnt cut what i want, even the upper modles they have.

Canon seems to be the only way to go.

I would be getting a few lenses at a time. Not to just collect and have around. I would use them every day, so they have to be durrable and good quality build.
First few lenses i would get would be the 50mm. then move on to differnt stuff.

Those of you that have a 40D, would you trade, im not asking you to, im asking your opinion.
Would your 40D be worth a loaded a200?
Almost the same megapixels, and a little differnt with the features...

Not sure if the $99 battery grip promotion is still on, but if it is, then no point looking at second-hand 40D because you can buy the grip then sell on market place for a small profit to offset the price of the brand new set...

Sorry but why canon? Don't rule nikon out... They both produce great bodies. I've used a 10D, D70 and now an S5. Personally, i like the control positions of the nikon and fuji.

hey,

i was once like you a few months back.
i changed my mind and wanted to go for either nikon or canon.
then i received pm's from the fellow CS asking me why im giving up my sony,
as ive posted in the bns im selling off my a200 and other lenses. so they motivated me,
and finally, i think back, i should not. so until now, i never regretted again on my choice for sony. :)

just have fun with it. discover more and deeper to what u have now; a200.
im sure u'll love it. :)

think about it and be wise. good luck bro! :)

I just want to step it up a notch, and sony just doesnt seem to have anything good out.

The Sony A700 beats the tar out of the 40D...

In fact, the40D was so poor against the competition (A700, nikon D300) that Canon had to rush out the 50D.

The A700 is still the #1 camera in terms of focusing speed and accuracy, and uses the same sensor as the D300. It has the same ISO noise as the D300 once you install the V4 firmware.

The A700 joystick-based navigation is sooooo easy to use!

Sorry but why canon? Don't rule nikon out... They both produce great bodies. I've used a 10D, D70 and now an S5. Personally, i like the control positions of the nikon and fuji.

sorry but why canon and nikon?

don't rule pentax, panasonic, samsung, olympus, etc etc etc out! :bsmilie:

hey,

i was once like you a few months back.
i changed my mind and wanted to go for either nikon or canon.
then i received pm's from the fellow CS asking me why im giving up my sony,
as ive posted in the bns im selling off my a200 and other lenses. so they motivated me,
and finally, i think back, i should not. so until now, i never regretted again on my choice for sony. :)

just have fun with it. discover more and deeper to what u have now; a200.
im sure u'll love it. :)

think about it and be wise. good luck bro! :)

The Sony A700 beats the tar out of the 40D...

In fact, the40D was so poor against the competition (A700, nikon D300) that Canon had to rush out the 50D.

The A700 is still the #1 camera in terms of focusing speed and accuracy, and uses the same sensor as the D300. It has the same ISO noise as the D300 once you install the V4 firmware.

The A700 joystick-based navigation is sooooo easy to use!

I have been thinking and holding back not to post & comment on this thread since it was started a couple of days back, but since, there are so many who has posted their view, let me join in the fun too. LOL.

Actually I support TS's decision to jump ship. Look at his posts, he's quite set to join the other camp, so why stop him? There are a lot of people who have jumped ship and regretted thereafter. The pasture always look greener else where and people always forget what they are enjoying now.

Remember TS mentioned that Canon has a wider range of lenses and let's hope he can update us, after he had jumped ship on how many lenses he has collected.

6.5fps is a must for TS because he does skateboarding shots. So all you guys out there, if your cam cannot do 6.5fps, you guys better stop shooting such fast action events let alone wakeboarding, F1 and stuff like that.

Now, back to the main point, firstly, comparing an entry level cam against a higher level cam is already a bad move. Secondly after singing so much praises about the other camp, if he doesn't move over, it's quite embarassing right? :bsmilie:

So TS, please dump your useless Sony cam and jump now. ;)

Last edited:
I also having a A200, many times I thought of selling it. But like haqeel said, just use what you have. And what Galdor's signature says - Good lens or Lousy lens also can't beat @ great photographer with kit lens.

I'm now enjoying my A200, trying to exhaust everyting with my kit lens while waiting for the new prime lens release. I don't think I'm limited by my camera, only by my skill and focal length.

And even for the wide range of lens available, I considered how many will I own? I'm just a hobbyist and I'll probably only have 2 to 3 lens in future?

I'm already thinking of a upgrade maybe in half a year or how things goes, many people are having a 40D and recommended me to change to Canon, I also thought of that. But after reading up on reviews, seems like the A700 is better than the 40D.

But I think it's personal preference, I had thought of letting off my A200 for $600 which means a profit of $100 from what I bought it for. But SSC is very conveniently located and 7 days a week, plus the staff are helpful although not all are knowledgeable about DSLR.

Last edited:
i'd probably go with a700.

I have been thinking and holding back not to post & comment on this thread since it was started a couple of days back, but since, there are so many who has posted their view, let me join in the fun too. LOL.

Actually I support TS's decision to jump ship. Look at his posts, he's quite set to join the other camp, so why stop him? There are a lot of people who have jumped ship and regretted thereafter. The pasture always look greener else where and people always forget what they are enjoying now.

Remember TS mentioned that Canon has a wider range of lenses and let's hope he can update us, after he had jumped ship on how many lenses he has collected.

6.5fps is a must for TS because he does skateboarding shots. So all you guys out there, if your cam cannot do 6.5fps, you guys better stop shooting such fast action events let alone wakeboarding, F1 and stuff like that.

Now, back to the main point, firstly, comparing an entry level cam against a higher level cam is already a bad move. Secondly after singing so much praises about the other camp, if he doesn't move over, it's quite embarassing right? :bsmilie:

So TS, please dump your useless Sony cam and jump now. ;)

haha...prb TS needs some real assurance and confirmation that he should jump. Usually threads posted such as this are either attracting brand wars or they do not even know what they want?

why not just jump to the 1D? haha....

Dump all your useless Sony body and lens (if u happen to have any good ones)...and since they dun really meet your needs, let them go real cheap....i'd bet there are lots of brothers waiting to snap up the useless lens at real dirt cheap prices on the B&S... and if u got CZ lens, maybe i can get special priviledge to have the rights of first refusal...ah hahaha.......

lol, this is funny.
Isn't TS already stated clearly the reasons he want to change body?
-fast fps and wide variety of lenses

Don't tell me you will recommend him a900 when he say he want 11fps? =P

lol, this is funny.
Isn't TS already stated clearly the reasons he want to change body?
-fast fps and wide variety of lenses

Don't tell me you will recommend him a900 when he say he want 11fps? =P

haha....i never stopped him. i encouraged him to dump the sony lens and jump to canon. :bsmilie:

who knows how many times he will change? but each time he change, our brothers and sisters at b&s will be waiting for cheap lens coming their way....

it is a good way of boosting our economy....:bsmilie:

Since liveview is needed, and you want a mid range body & good lens, just go for canon 40D. Sony's only midrange body which is the a700 has no liveview. Otherwise go for A700 which is better than 40D in every other ways.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for trying to help i guess?
more like saying this is better than that because i have one really.
so im just gonna keep what i have for now, work with it, get more lenses...
then if i dont get what i want out of it, i will trade or sale.

thread closedddddd.

Status
Not open for further replies.