Track and field photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

y0ngcheng

Nov 24, 2003
新加坡
hi all. i'm new to this. tml i'll be taking for my sch event.
may i know what to look out for and wads the settings recommanded for running, ect ect...?

thanks in advance :)

Track events? Or field events?

Track events, good to station yourself at a bend that doesn't have the spectators as the background as it is very distracting. The bend will ensure that you will see the faces of the athletics easily--if if they are running in a bend during a relay event they will spread out pretty nicely.

Another spot to camp in is near the finishing line.

Contrary to what others may say, I feel that fill flash usage in a track event is perfectly all right. If it's an evening event, you can use the 2nd curtain sync to your advantage to take "trails".

A mid-to-telephoto zoom lens will be good to use. A fast lens will bring extra advantage to freeze the action. A fast film/high ISO setting is recommended to compensate slow lenses. Recommended shutter speed is ~1/250 or higher to freeze the action. You can try slower speeds if you want to achieve panning effects--but always be sure to keep your athletic's faces clear.

Set your focusing point to the centre focus, and try using pre-focus--the AI Servo may not be fast enough, but you can try.

Practice your panning and try shooting with both eyes open to be aware of when the athletics are coming into your viewfinder.

Sometimes a portrait format works better than landscape.

Previous post is about technical aspects of the actual running; this post is about how you may want to cover the EVENT.

Some things you may want to cover:
- Warm up/prep talk by team captain (will be interesting to see the serious faces)
- Participants of different teams mingling (shows sportsmanship)
- Spectators...some of them actually make quite spontaenous models
- The finishing line...the joy and agony
- Abstract shots? Lying down low on the track, their shoes, jerseys, etc...

Seriously, go bug the resident sports photogs like Sehsuan, r32 for more ideas...

sehsuan said:
wah biang... why arrow me again? :cry:

yongcheng, dont fret la. there's no "right" and "wrong" in photography :)

but actually you could have let us know in advance so that we could point you to useful sites.

http://www.sportsshooter.com/funpix_index.html
http://www.iaaf.org

thank you sehsuan for ur friendly help :)

i didn't help la, really. just hunt for those sites, confirmed will pop your eyes out like the way mine did... :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.